Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #1

UTV

Just wondering if anyone out there can give me some advice on Polaris rzr side by sides? What would be a good model for us to just enjoy the outdoors no bajaing .
kress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #2

[ATTACH]221727
I ended up with the Polaris general. Not quite the suspension of the rzr but has the dump bed and front winch so more practical for work around our 10 acres.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1306.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	640.5 KB
ID:	221727  
2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 4:10 gears
2010 Starcraft Homestead 5th wheel
2018 Polaris General
ike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #3

I also have the General, added Shock Therapy upgrade and ride is much better.

I think most brands have issues, check out their forums and just like this site, tons of info.
Rhino Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #4

it all depends on the ridding you want to do as to which model you may want to get.. i think the plane XP1000 is the best value then depending on what you want to do with it add the accessories you want or need.. I have a RZR Turbo, 570 Ranger, 850 Sportsman, 110 Sportsman, 900 ACE on Portals and 36" bKT's, and a 800 Kawaski Tyrex. by far the Kawasaki is the best all around low maintenance machine.. the more time they spend under water or in the mud the more you will be working on them
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
All my buddies with RZR's are switching to the Generals. Similar suspension but better seating position and stay completely mud free with windows and upper doors.

2019 General Deluxe 1000
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:59 PM   #6

Can-am or Polaris rzr nice equip runs around 20k really depends on budget just like everything else.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:21 PM   #7

I have a RZR 1000 Turbo, but I spend a lot of times at the dunes. As was mentioned above the 1000 is a great unit as well. You should shop and see what it is you really want. You may be happy with a ranger, general or a Can-Am product. Easier to get in/out of a ranger than a RZR....
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:43 AM   #8
BFL

Forest River Owners Club
Evergreen Owners Club
UTV

My wife and I bought a Polaris EPS1000 about 2 months ago. We love it and go for rides in it almost everyday. It has plenty of on board storage plus the dump bed. I did get the windshield option with a wiper and washer. I highly recommend that if your budget allows. The windshield is one that can be opened.
Ben
BFL
BFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #9

Bang for the buck it's hard to beat the RZR 900S. Smaller, yet very capable and can fit everywhere. You did not mention where you would be going or how you will haul it, but there are still a lot of trails out west that limit you to a max width of 50". The new Can-Am Maverick trail is also 50" wide and has a great review/ comparison to the 900rzr.

If you do not need 50" specifically the 900 is also available in a wider version and is still one of the best overall values in the new market. The Ranger is also a great rig, a friend has a 570XP Ranger and it amazes me, even with a bed load of firewood it climbs like a goat. Dont let the motor size fool you. The new 1000XP ranger is insane, and I have generals in the family also, they are really nice.

If you want to go cheap, or want a machine for casual use that wont let you down you may look at the Honda 500 or the 1000.
I have a Honda pioneer 500, it rides a bit rough when stock, has tiny tires on it ..when stock, and has great utility rack on the rear and can fit in the bed of my toad for excursions. You can load the rack with coolers or game etc.. fairly universal.

It is one of the cheapest , smallest UTV's in the marketplace and has Honda behind it. Mine is a bit modified and can really do well riding with the 1000XP RZR's that I ride with in the trails (These Honda's are not a fast machine) I prefer it to many because it does not use a CVT belt and has a manually hand shifted transmission that uses flappy paddles on the steering wheel. Durability is a huge deal to me, I don't want to deal with issues. The newer ones have a dash switch to select automatic mode, I am not a fan of that, used ones can be had pretty cheap. I like the machine overall, and its a great low cost way into the hobby.

Here is a video of a stock P5 at Hells gate in Moab last month. I want to go there with mine some day.

Here is mine, it is a bit modified for black trails.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We bought the 50" a few years ago because we wanted to do more exploring, than desert racing. Many mountain areas only allow 50". There is no cheating on the 50" part. The trails often have concrete barriers that prevent anything wider.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #11

I have an Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail. Can fit 50" trails, drives like a mountain goat and can carry enough gear to camp off of for three days. I've done longer trips, but they involved re-provisioning stops.
WeLikeCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLikeCampin View Post
I have an Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail. Can fit 50" trails, drives like a mountain goat and can carry enough gear to camp off of for three days. I've done longer trips, but they involved re-provisioning stops.

I almost got one of those, great machines with good aftermarket support.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It really depends on your needs.

We have a 900 EPS trail model and love it. We do a lot of trail riding in national forests and such. We did trade out the stock shocks for Bandits. MUCH better ride.

Like others have said - if you ever want to go into a national forest or state forest you need 50" or less. My 50" trail model will still do most of the things the others will. Take a look at the website "Riderplanet" for places to visit in every state.

Many states also allow you to plate these machines now if you add the basics like signals, mirrors, windshield.

FWIW
Old 10-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kress View Post
Just wondering if anyone out there can give me some advice on Polaris rzr side by sides? What would be a good model for us to just enjoy the outdoors no bajaing .
Like others have said the Polaris General is a great unit to have for the type of riding you are talking about. Make sure you know how to replace a broken belt and have the tools needed to repair it. I have gone 2200 miles in my two different Polaris machines and never broke a belt. I have changed out the belt but in my garage so I would know how to do it on the trail.

Also look into getting a winch. If you are riding by yourself a winch could come in very handy if you get stuck or heaven forbid roll the machine. I carry a few parts and tools to make almost any repair out on the trail. In Utah we can now ride our machine on the street. So being street legal is a huge plus and fun to ride down the road to get to the trails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new powder coating 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	223581  
bimmerdog is offline   Reply With Quote