Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The occorance isn't intermittent. If you read the OPs post, it happens under heavy load while climbing a hill.

That says gas filter.
Actually it is intermittent, only happened twice, both were long hills no run and in first gear. Any other hill that I can keep my momentum it's perfectly fine, no issues what so ever.
Fishbreath69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you watching engine temperature on these climbs, What is the temperature???

ALSO - Verify that you do have an integral transmission cooler in the regular radiator. Look on the bottom of the radiator and see if the transmission cooling lines go into it. On early V10 F53, it didn't, I'm not sure about the E350/450 ??

Do you hear the fan clutch kicking in. This WOOSH sound will sound like a 747 taking off.. I don't think your going into engine overtemp limp mode, but its possible.

NOTE - A significant source of transmission heat is the torque converter slipping. The torque converter will unlock and slip when its shifting gears and also some throttle movements. One way to reduce this is to manually downshift and hold a speed / rpm / gear that doesn't require full throttle..

On my F53, I make hard climbs with the trans manually shifted in 2nd and even 1st. When in 2nd, I can hold 4000 rpm and about 45 mph. In 1st, its 4000 rpm and about 25 mph. Keep the rpms up there.. on the V10, rpms are your friend.

You have the same engine I have, the non-pi (Performance Improvement) V10. So you'r only able to put out 275hp, but you need to be turning rpm to do it...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Are you watching engine temperature on these climbs, What is the temperature???

ALSO - Verify that you do have an integral transmission cooler in the regular radiator. Look on the bottom of the radiator and see if the transmission cooling lines go into it. On early V10 F53, it didn't, I'm not sure about the E350/450 ??

Do you hear the fan clutch kicking in. This WOOSH sound will sound like a 747 taking off.. I don't think your going into engine overtemp limp mode, but its possible.

NOTE - A significant source of transmission heat is the torque converter slipping. The torque converter will unlock and slip when its shifting gears and also some throttle movements. One way to reduce this is to manually downshift and hold a speed / rpm / gear that doesn't require full throttle..

On my F53, I make hard climbs with the trans manually shifted in 2nd and even 1st. When in 2nd, I can hold 4000 rpm and about 45 mph. In 1st, its 4000 rpm and about 25 mph. Keep the rpms up there.. on the V10, rpms are your friend.

You have the same engine I have, the non-pi (Performance Improvement) V10. So you'r only able to put out 275hp, but you need to be turning rpm to do it...
I do keep a close eye on the engine temp, always in the normal range, never gets hot. It had 2 tranny coolers before, the integrated one in the coolant rad and a small secondary one, I have since installed a third larger aux cooler. Yes the fan kicks in, scared the crap out of me the first few times it did. I also do manually shift the transmission, keeping the revs up.

I dont think that it's going into limp mode as theres no additional codes, and it also recovers so quickly. I believe it's a heat issue, hopefully the extra cooler helps, but now I can at least keep an eye on the tranny temp and actually see what's going on. Im going to change the fuel filter and find the source of the lean codes today hopefully.
Fishbreath69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Im going to change the fuel filter and find the source of the lean codes today hopefully.
Very good. It sounds like your cooling system is acting normally.

If you have an integral transmission cooler in the engine radiator, I'd say you are probably OK with trans temp, unless your bypass valve is stuck and its limiting the trans fluid to the cooler. There is a test for this. You also have a gauge now, so you can keep an eye on it. (pressure bypass leaks and doesn't send enough fluid to the coolers)

I don't think the weird shift TSB applies to you, its for F53 PCM. (grounding wires were sending noise as the vehicle speed signal and confusing the transmission as to what gear it should be in)

When was the last time you did a tranny filter change and flush? I flushed mine last fall when I changed the filter. It takes about 5 gallons to do a complete flush. I use Valvoline ATF Synthetic in my 4R100. It cost about $18 a gallon at Walmart.

F53 Transmission filter change and flush – 1999 Southwind 35S

Its possible the fuel filter could be limiting you. If its never been changed, it would be good to do it anyway...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, v10