Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

Carolina Campers
I experienced my first break down yesterday....

I was on my way to Albuquerque, NM, heading west on I-40. Before you get to the great adventure of Clines Corners (any one that has been there knows what I mean) there are many long hills to clime. They are not real steep bit seem to go on for ever. They are steep enough that you will find cars, RVs and trucks along the side overheated, etc.

Anyway, I was about 1/4 mile from the top of the last hill (2.5 miles from Clines Corners) when my RV finally sputtered and stopped and we were one of those dead carcasses on the side of the road.... Yes, you saw me there and saying something like; "I am glad that is not me."

I then realized that my tank was at about 1/4 full. I checked the engine and the oil was at level, it did not smell like it was overheated, etc. So my first thought was, even with a 1/4 tank, could the combination of a bumpy road with a steep uphill grade have caused just enough sloshing to get air in the gas line and cause a vapor lock?

After sitting there for a while (maybe 30 or 40 mins) and trying to contact someone to help. My DW suggested that we just unhook the toad and go get some gas to see if that would allow us to get to a gas station. I said we could do that, but let me try one more time.

The RV started and we drove the last 2.5 miles to Clines Corners. I filled up with gas. The remaining trip went fine and the coach ran as smooth as normal.

I am taking this as a lesson learned to stop and get when I still have 1/2 tank versus going longer.

What do you think, dose this sound like it could have been a vapor lock?
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Have you been buying that low octane gas ( 85 ) that they sell in higher elevations.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #3

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Have you been buying that low octane gas ( 85 ) that they sell in higher elevations.
So you think that a lower grade octane gas could result in this happening?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Here's a recent thread that got me thinking of this. I also had an incident about 10 years ago when climbing an incline with 85 octane. It sputtered pretty good but luckily didn't stall.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/octa...as-169991.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #5

From the sounds of your problem, I'd say early signs of electric fuel pump failure. When the fuel level is high in the tank the pump is totally submerged , and running cool. As the level drops the pump starts to get above the level of the fuel , it overheats then quits. Sitting at roadside it cooled enough to work for a while. JM2cW.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #6

I am with Skip426 on this one, been there done that.
ReelTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
isa

Triple E Owners Club
Do you have a carburetor on your engine?

I was led to believe that you do not get vapor lock on fuel injected engines.
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #8

My Ford 460 would vapor lock in extreme heat, when I ran the dash air. After it cooled, it ran fine. It was fuel injected. Learned that I must keep at least a half tank of gas, enough to keep fuel pump cool. Replacing pump would be very expensive. Ford knew about this problem, but did not do a recall.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #9

Carolina Campers
Well the consensus seems to be that it may be the fuel pump going bad.

I was able to talk to my son tonight. He is a high performance auto mechanic. I posed the question to him, but did not let him know what you all had said. After hearing the symptoms, he said the same thing as you folks did.

Thanks for the replies.