Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #1

Vehicle+TT or Class C and Pet Complications

I'm going round and round in my head with pros and cons and want others' opinions.

I currently drive a small gas efficient Honda Fit, and I have a 25 lb dog and a 75 lb dog.

Now, I'd like to kit out for weekend RVing for not too much money. I'm a noob and don't know if I'll even like it much. However, as I just moved to Colorado, it seems like an efficient way to see the sights with dogs in tow.

I'm getting stuck with my options. To get a TT that's big enough for a large Golden Retriever/Rottie mix who doesn't think he's allowed on the furniture (i.e. there's got to be enough floor space for him to turn his arse around and walk the other direction) should he choose, I'd need a large SUV or truck and the TT.

Or, I could get a Class C.

Pricing-wise it's looking like (either new or used) TT+truck = Class C. So that's a wash. I've read enough to know that maintenance on TT+truck is probably easier with the benefit of then having a vehicle to run around in once at a destination. HOWEVER, I really don't want to drive a huge ass SUV or truck as my primary vehicle and I just can't see the need to keep and insure two vehicles (but dumbass, you'd have to be doing that with a class C too, duh!).

Thoughts?
saffikeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffikeagan View Post
....Now, I'd like to kit out for weekend RVing for not too much money. I'm a noob and don't know if I'll even like it much.........?
Before you buy into a big unknown for you ...
... have a little fun for 3 or 4 outings and RENT a small class-C. You'll learn a lot about RVing and about what appeals to you

It's easy and relatively cheap to rent. its expensive to make a purchase mistake.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #3

RVing for not to much money they said... it will be fun they said.

One million dollars later.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post

I wouldn't necessarily mind the million dollars later part (assuming I won the lottery or something) in a few years once I fell in love with RVing. It's the million dollars now part that I'd rather avoid.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #5

bet the dogs would love to be able to roam around in the RV I know ours do. then tow the car if you want to
Old 01-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post

Ummmm..Yup sumpin like that.............
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #7

Class C
You and DOGS inside while in transit AND when stationary (parked-camping)
Then you need SMALL car being towed for errands/excursions with YOU and DOGS inside it

Truck...Trailer
YOU and DOGS inside truck while in transit...they get passengers seat/back seat
You and dogs inside trailer.....(larger floor space) when parked
Truck for errands/excursions

Truck for daily driver........
Why not?
We have been truck only for 15 years

Suggest to RENT Class C and do a few camping trips is RIGHT ON THE MARK
Especially with this statement:
"I'm a noob and don't know if I'll even like it much."-----plus the 2 dogs.
RENT first
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #8

I've got a 24 ft travel trailer (TT), slide-out, and an 80 lb dog. There is plenty of room for him to move around and lay down under the dining table. If you got a small, light TT maybe about 17 - 20 ft, depending on weight, you might not need a "huge ass" SUV. A properly equipped 1/2 ton pickup (being careful to be at least 20% below maximum cargo and towing capacity) could work fine.

Even if you decide on a heavier TT and need a large SUV or truck, buying used will save you a lot of money. There are a lot of low mileage (100,000 miles or less) for sale. I think many current SUV/truck owners are selling to get the new high tech trucks with the comfy suspensions.

For instance, I purchased a used TT and a low mileage SUV for a total of less than $8,000. That's pretty cheap. If later on I decide to upgrade, I'm sure I can sell the TT and/or tow vehicle (TV) for close to what I paid for them.

But, I agree with FatDog that it would be a good idea to rent an RV for a couple of weekends to see if you want a motor home. In fact, since it appears you don't plan to make a lot of RV trips, it may be cheaper to rent an RV rather than pay the cost of purchase and maintenance of an RV.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #9

How about a Subaru and an Aliner? Dogs are more adaptable than people in my experience.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
Before you buy into a big unknown for you ...
... have a little fun for 3 or 4 outings and RENT a small class-C. You'll learn a lot about RVing and about what appeals to you

It's easy and relatively cheap to rent. its expensive to make a purchase mistake.
I bet you'll have a tough time finding a rental outfit that will allow dogs in their units. Maybe not. I've never checked into it.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I bet you'll have a tough time finding a rental outfit that will allow dogs in their units. Maybe not. I've never checked into it.
That's one problem. The other is that while I could rent a Class C to check it out, I'm pretty sure I couldn't rent a truck and a TT to try them both out (and bring the dogs).

I'll look around and see if I can find a Class C to rent for my Feb long weekend. I've lots around that I don't need to go very far for the experience.

To some extent, with the exception of potentially trading out my nice small car for a big thing, I'm probably going to count on the good resale value of RVs to recuperate most expenses ifin I try and I don't like. Hell, with the cost of dog-friendly hotels/motels and stuff, it wouldn't take too many weekend trips to offset what I might loose if I buy used, then turn it around and sell it again a year later.

I'm going to go test drive some huge ass vehicles tomorrow (defined as anything larger than a Camry) and see what I think.

What's better up and down mountains? I'm assuming a vehicle+TT?
Old 01-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
TT vs MH is one of the age-old questions. We've done both. Some questions:
1. Do you want only one vehicle (i.e. Fit or a pickup, but not both)?
2. If #1 is "yes", are you okay with driving a truck every day? (parking, mileage, etc)
3. If #1 is "no" and/or #2 is "yes", by all means consider a TT. If no, I'd consider keeping your Fit and towing it behind a class C. Then you get the best of both worlds - a practical daily for most of your driving, plus a camping outfit and a "dinghy" to get around in when camping.

Having done both, I think I prefer the MH + towed. But it's a very personal choice and there are definite pro's and cons to each.

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #13

I didn't research if the Honda Fit you have now is towable but if it is why not get the Class C and tow what you have?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I didn't research if the Honda Fit you have now is towable but if it is why not get the Class C and tow what you have?
It is towable 4 down. Maybe that's the best solution.

Tags
class c, cat