RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #15

For our RV floor, we used a thin foam layer over the old floor with a few staples. I had removed the carpet but left the vinyl in the kitchen intact and laid the planking over it.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 06:01 PM   #16

I have now done 2 MH's with vinyl plank flooring. I first one held up very well while we had it and had no problems with expansion, just leave the gap at walls. Vinyl plank will not expand and contract near as much as wood will, 1/8" will do. The plank DW and I put in the latest MH has a rubber backing which adds to sound insulation and keeps in from moving. Both were water proof so spills are not a problem. I did not go to Home Depot or Lowes and pay their prices. There are numerous other places to get product at a much lower price than the box stores. Look around, you do not need to pay for the big name. Let me also say that I am not just an amateur but have a custom cabinet and remodeling business for the last 15 years and have been an income real estate owner for owner for over 35 and have always done my own remodeling and repairs. You do not need the big box store prices and you can do it yourself.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:08 PM   #17

Don't be fooled into thinking this is a easy job. It took my wife and I about 12 hours to fit in the new floor, almost every piece will need to be cut. For some pieces, I would use a cardboard sample to get the piece perfect before marking/cutting the final plank. I used a skill saw and good knee pads.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:34 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is my experience with vinyl plank flooring: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/allu...er-338750.html
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #19

I would prefer to use a click n lock style floor vs. any glue down floor in a RV. The problem with RV's is that flooring is often put down over OSB, and the flakes of wood simply pull free. If the floor was installed over good quality plywood, the chances of problems would be diminished.

And luxury vinyl tile that's put down with mastic (glues) has to have a very specialized mastic that Home Depot and Lowes don't even sell. I have put down LVT in two houses, and it takes Domco 404 mastic to install the stuff. Otherwise the floor peels up.

We have a number of luxury vinyl tile manufacturers in our city, and my next door neighbor owns a LVT company. Fortunately, the factories sell overstocks to our local flooring stores and we can buy the stuff for $1.50 per square foot. At retail, it's as expensive as hardwood flooring--$4+ per square foot.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I would prefer to use a click n lock style floor vs. any glue down floor in a RV. The problem with RV's is that flooring is often put down over OSB, and the flakes of wood simply pull free. If the floor was installed over good quality plywood, the chances of problems would be diminished.

And luxury vinyl tile that's put down with mastic (glues) has to have a very specialized mastic that Home Depot and Lowes don't even sell. I have put down LVT in two houses, and it takes Domco 404 mastic to install the stuff. Otherwise the floor peels up.

We have a number of luxury vinyl tile manufacturers in our city, and my next door neighbor owns a LVT company. Fortunately, the factories sell overstocks to our local flooring stores and we can buy the stuff for $1.50 per square foot. At retail, it's as expensive as hardwood flooring--$4+ per square foot.
We put down vinyl strips. Came out great. Was left over from redoing home. Water proof quiet and helps insulate rv. Installer did rv for 150. Great job. Has stood up well to slide rollers. No marks in 2 yrs.Click image for larger version

Name:	1408787132.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	268400
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:57 PM   #21

Installed Allure over existing vinyl flooring in a previous rig and never had a problem. Made sure to run the furnace so the install temperature was around 70 degrees and made sure the flooring was at the same temperature. Left the recommended gaps around the edges covered by baseboard. When I was done I went over it with a 75lb roller I borrowed from work. Loved it and never had separation problems and the rig experienced temperature swings from the high 90s to the teens.

I've had it in my kitchen/utility room for years and have been very happy with it. One thing to note is the cheaper flooring has a thinner wear layer. I have a small area where I slide my recycle bins in and out from under some shelves and the floor is scratched from doing so. Same can happen if you slide chairs around on it, but this can happen with wood and laminate floors too.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:35 AM   #22

Triple E Owners Club
The trick is

To use a removable glue. We used it and we are very happy with the result. We can replace a plank anytime with little effort.

Cheers

DJ
Old 12-24-2019, 03:42 AM   #23

Smile vinyl plank flooring

Wife wanted faded carpet gone to make life easier. After removing carpet I was looking at OSB. Went to Lowes and bought a gallon of wood glue and a few sheets of sanded quarter inch plywood. Glued the plywood down and used my brad nailer to keep it in place. I started putting snap lock flooring down in the back room.Figured I could learn in there. Installed a piece of indoor/outdoor floor mat on the steps using piano hinge to push carpet to back of steps. Mistakes. When installing quarter round around the edges I forgot to keep my brads out of the flooring. I now have a couple places where the end locks have pulled apart.The plywood gave me a smooth surface to work with. Now, if I could figure out how to show a picture of everything I would. Guess I'll have to get one of the grandkids or nieces to show me that step. But it sure does look better!
R Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #24

When I determined it was time to replace my carpet, I looked at vinyl and ended up putting down Pergo snap-together planks. That was 10 years ago. Left 1/4 inch gap all the way around and have not had a problem with it. No separation or bulging. The Pergo is thicker than the vinyl, so be sure the thickness will not interfere with the slide if you decide to go this route.
zigzagrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, flooring, vinyl