Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2023, 10:32 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Vinyl sheet or plank?

Hello all,
Iíve read many a thread here but never posted. There may be something out there about this and I didnít manage to find it so here goes.

I have a 2012 Tiffin 35QBA and want to replace the original vinyl stick on tiles and cockpit carpet. I have 4 slides, I believe at least 3 are on rollers. Not sure about the bed slide. Iím between vinyl sheet flooring of fairly high quality or vinyl plank. The latter seems more durable however itís a bit thicker than the tiles Iím pulling up. The original tile looks about 2mm
Any recommendations on which to choose?
If I go with plank will the slides be ok?
Specific product recommendations?

I am not a full timer, mostly weekend trips and a couple week long trips each year. There are normally 2 of us with 2 large dogs and occasionally my grandkids too.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sweet Ethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2023, 05:46 AM   #2

Vinyl plank!!

I can't imagine how long it would take to get the angles and widths cut to go around everything on the floor of an RV. Before you finished I bet it would be easy to convince you to cut the sheet into planks.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 05:58 AM   #3

There used to be a vinyl rectangle product that had tabs on 2 sides with adhesive on the top of the tab. They stuck to the adjacent rectangle. Idea was since each piece stuck to another any movement in the floor or uneven issues would not let the pieces lift off. We used it in a laundry room where the scrub sink would overflow once in a while. 15 years later no lifted tiles and no complaints. If this is still made it would be the easiest fastest way to go, and if you don't like it nothing stuck to the floor.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:50 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Vinyl plank!!

I can't imagine how long it would take to get the angles and widths cut to go around everything on the floor of an RV. Before you finished I bet it would be easy to convince you to cut the sheet into planks.
This isnít a DIY install. The installer Iím using said sheet will be easier to install. And takes less time. That said my biggest concern is durability and the flooring height change with slides if I go plank.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:11 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You must have a real expert installer if he is willing to try and install full sheet vinyl. The sheet has to extend under the slides, good luck with that. Look at all the little cuts/angles.

I am not an expert, have done small area's of vinyl, I didn't even consider it when I redid my flooring.

Are your slides flat floor or do they slide above the existing floor.

I installed LVP type flooring ~16 months ago. I had a soft spot in the floor in the front (still trying to figure out how/where it came from but this is where my wife keeps her dog crates and I think it was from years of them spilling the water dish). Here is a link so show you what it involved. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/new...ks-564571.html

Yes it took a while, lots of fitting. My 2 slides are raised. The bedroom slide had 2 rollers mounted at the foot of the bed and the bed frame actually rides on the rollers. I removed the whole thing to put new flooring down. Glad I did, found the rollers digging into the bottom of the bed frame. Put strips of metal to protect. The rollers do have a height adjustment.

Front LR slide has 4 rollers, two of them mount on the bottom of the kitchen cabinets and roll across the tile floor and 2 rollers mount in the floor and the slide rolls on these. The rollers can be adjusted.

I opted for the LVP because it was a DYI project, I had plenty of time. I bought the LVP from Lowes, this was the best Pergo they had with a "lifetime" warranty. It was about the same thickness as the laminate flooring I had installed 11 years prior. The Laminate actually held up really well. I found the LVP easier to cut, slightly harder to install. I was parked in my garage with my inside shop right there with all the tools I needed.

Good luck
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:22 AM   #6

I would look for a commercial grade vinyl material. The stuff sold at the big box stores probably wouldn't hold up.
if you choose to go with LVP, it is normally 4-5mm thick. It also needs to have gaps around the edges for expansion which would mean quarter round along all the edges.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:43 AM   #7

Just an opinion that may not be applicable depending on your choice of product. If you choose any flooring product that utilizes an adhesive be sure that you prime the the floor (substrate) first to create a good bond. Prime with the adhesive similar to how you would you use contact cement.
Our20th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:19 AM   #8

Also depends on waste off standard roll that you have pay for. I factored into a repair just a bit wide for standard width. Professional flooring guys can cut around for installs far better and faster than DIYer . Planks if you mess up a cut you might even reuse waste in another spot. Planks could be replaced if damaged.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
I would look for a commercial grade vinyl material. The stuff sold at the big box stores probably wouldn't hold up.
if you choose to go with LVP, it is normally 4-5mm thick. It also needs to have gaps around the edges for expansion which would mean quarter round along all the edges.
I wouldn’t worry about expansion in that small a space . As long as the sides were not tightly bound it shouldn’t be an issue, plus there is very little area that actually would have solid walls on each side. Most planks would terminate under the slides leaving space for any small amount of expansion.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:45 AM   #10

Where does the rig live? If you're in a spot that hits below-zero temps, I'd avoid the sheeting. In multiple RV's and cabins, I've seen glued sheeting (and sheeting through which items have been mounted through the sheet to the floor) crack right up the center as it contracts in severe cold.

If you're not in such a cold area, never mind.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:46 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all for your input and advice! I have flush slides so height of new floor needs to be limited however there seems to be plenty of LVP out there that meets the requirement. That is likely the direction we will go.

@Bobby F: I live in southern CA so no extreme cold temps but I may move the rig back to the Carolina’s at some point and want to be prepared to endure those temp swings. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-23-2023, 01:30 PM   #12

Don't forget to check on the weight difference between the two. It might be minimal. It might be significant.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:02 AM   #13

I've never understood how "luxury" and "vinyl" can belong in the same sentence! Vinyl flooring used to be the cheap and easy, shorter lifespan solution. And remember when car seats were vinyl in the old days? With today's leather seats, who would ever believe such a thing as "luxury vinyl" car seats? But that's marketing for you.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:30 AM   #14

Luxury vinyl in car seats does exist kinda.... its called ultrafabric.
New 2 Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vinyl