Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

WA state residency to SD residency questions.

Would like responses to those who have changed from WA state residency to a SD residency. Was just notified by my insurance carrier (21st Century) that they will no longer be writing insurance in WA state and as a result my insurance will not be renewed. Not the first time this has happened in our 25 years of WA residency. Also there are horrible Medicare Advantage plans available in my County. It just seems as though WA is just a lousy place to do business for many providers. And the fact we sold our home in 2016, makes the thought of a change possibly worthwhile.

While we spend around $200 a year for vehicle registration which includes our 2010 motor home and our Jeep, curious as to how that might stack up with those SD costs. I understand the only thing you can't do on line with respect to changing residency is get a drivers license, but we are tentatively planning a trip across country in 2018.

Hoping we can get some words of advise for those who have made the WA to SD switch. Thanks.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In case you haven't already considered it, most people also find it worthwhile to also consider TX and FL for domicile as they FT. Escapees can provide domicile services in either FL or TX, plus handle your snail mail and provide park/camping discounts. For us, FT rig/car insurance was more reasonable out of their FL location (and MUCH lower rate than St Brendan's Isle). We did not analyze SD because there was no suitable medical insurance option for us there.

HTH. -

CC
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #3

There has been quite a few posts over the last couple of years about the horrible medical insurance coverage in SD. Thats one reason so many are moving to TX of FL. Before you make the move look for health insurance plans. When we movec out of PDX area that was one major factor. DW has had a lot of health issues and wanted to staymwith Kaiser Permente, so oir choices were limited.
BTW Kaiser senior advantage can be had for less than 50 dollars a month, so you might consider Oregon too.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #4

SD charges by vehicle weight so my 44" DP is about $685/year.
http://dor.sd.gov/Motor_Vehicles/Fee...0motorhome.pdf

We did SD from FL mainly because we were buying a new coach and SD has 4% tax vs FL 6%. That is a big savings. Insurance (coach) also way lower than FL.

SD residency is very simple to get.

I know you are moving from WA just wanted to throw this in there.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Watching this thread.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:26 AM   #6

Also watching this thread
Old 08-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #7

I do like the low registration fees (Kitsap County) for our 2010 coach and our trusted 99 Jeep, but comparing costs with other folks, it seems we are getting pretty hosed on health insurance as well as auto insurance. My policy which just was cancelled due to the provider pulling out of the state had gone up over 25% in just a little over 1 year. Can't handle such constant increases.

My wife DL is good till December of 2019 but I need to renew this month which I will do. But, as we are planning a trip east in 2018 that would be the time to seriously look at either Texas or SD. Maybe FL. But I understand Texas now requires smog every other year which is a hassle as we spend most of our time on the west coast or AZ.

Have some very good friends who gave up their FL residency for WA but think it may have had more to do with cheaper health insurance but they had to go to Yakima as it was the cheapest. My sister has a great no cost Medicare Supplement in Ventura County CA but I have no desire to become a CA resident.

But hey, if this is the extent of the "stress" in retirement, I'm all in and enjoying the ride!!
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #8

Retired last February in Woodland, Wa and left for Carrabelle, Florida after selling our primary residence and rental next door. Currently using Letter Box as our PMB and mail forwarding service as we travel the country and spend the winter in Florida. Works great. Looked at changing residency to Florida but found that their is a $250 impact fee per vehicle when registering in the state. Also found rv and auto insurance is much higher that what we pay in Cowlitz County currently. Just went on Medicare and find very little difference so at this time we will continue as we have for the last 19 months. If anyone knows what I a m missing please comment.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:07 PM   #9

TX does not have an emisssions test for diesel vehicles--not sure about specific high population area county tests. There is an annual safety/emissions test for gas vehicles and an annual safety inspection for diesels and trailers.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:02 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If you do not have a large purchase RV/toad in the future Wa has very reasonable taxes/licences. Wa depends on sales and property tax's. Check out the other states for the tax structure before jumping. Some have income or property tax. Also check on health insurance in your intended state, as most of us are into Medicare plus a plan, cost and coverage as we travel is important.

LEN
Old 08-31-2017, 02:31 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have never been a WA resident, but this is the 7th summer I have spent parked at my daughter's home near Seattle. I would suggest that you make a chart of what your expenses would be in the 3 fulltimer friendly states. Compare your actual costs in all categories -- vehicle tags, insurance, healthcare, etc.

I chose SD and use myhomeaddressinc.com for mail forwarding and domicile. Their small town location keeps insurance costs down. I have a Medicare advantage plan with Humana ($57/mo) that is nationwide. There are no vehicle inspections, I only need to return every 10 years for a new driver's license and residency can be established by a 1 night stay in a hotel or RV park. I just got my tag renewal notice -- $240 for RV and car (both are small).

Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:51 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
DW has had a lot of health issues and wanted to stay with Kaiser Permente, so our choices were limited.
BTW Kaiser senior advantage can be had for less than 50 dollars a month, so you might consider Oregon too.
Yup live 20 or so miles from you (Salem)
Wife has 2 more years till retirement and have Kaiser now.....the Kaiser senior plans really are enticing... but the income tax/property tax is a burden for those on a fixed income...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:04 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
If you do not have a large purchase RV/toad in the future Wa has very reasonable taxes/licences. Wa depends on sales and property tax's. Check out the other states for the tax structure before jumping. Some have income or property tax. Also check on health insurance in your intended state, as most of us are into Medicare plus a plan, cost and coverage as we travel is important.

LEN
WA doesn't make it easy to be a non resident resident. PO box or PMB won't work, they require a physical location. But, until they catch you I guess it works.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:15 PM   #14

We left WA residency in '04 for SD, never looked back. At that time MH registration was much less in SD than WA, not sure that there is a great differential particularly if you are in Kitsap county. The 3 Puget sound counties still are being taxed for the light rail boondogal.

Insurance for both vehicles was significantly less. Don't know about health insurance, we are on medicare.

Establishing residency was easy, only had to have a receipt for a day or two stay in a campground. Dakota Post in Sioux Falls is the FMCA endorsed mail service, they can provide many services and help with residency.

If you remember DMV offices in WA you won't believe the service in SD. fast, efficient and friendly. A 10 or 15 question quiz and eye test Is all that's required.

Annual vehicle registrations are done on line, using a Credit Card.

Drivers licenses also can be done on line in some cases, they can be extended for up to a year to allow you to get to SD for an in person renewal. No vehicle inspections or smog tests, no special license requirements.

TX would be my second choice, but a air brake endorsement and periodic vehicle inspections make it less desirable for me.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote