Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #1

Angry Wait on insurance check or pay the man?

I sent my motorhome to another state because I believed the man was sincere in getting it fixed. The insurance is paying but the check will be in both of our names. I haven't received the check yet. Now he says he can't do anything until he has money. Have I been scammed?
Newrvmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Possibly, most businesses don't need money upfront. Asking for money upfront is usually a scam.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
That depends. If he has to order parts, he has to pay for them somehow. If he orders parts and pays for them out of his pocket and then you decide to have the work done somewhere else, then he is stuck. I see his point about needing money
Old 10-05-2017, 09:52 PM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
I would offer to pay for parts upfront, but I wouldn't pay for the whole invoice amount.
CDWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:09 PM   #5

No reputable BUSINESS will ask for money upfront. If they are so poorly capitalized they can't buy parts with their own funds or credit, you probably shouldn't be doing business with them.
What is the estimated bill for parts and labor? Unless a relatively small amount relative to the total estimate I would not pay them anything in advance. You should be able to inspect your coach after repairs and then if satisfactory pay them in full.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
That depends. If he has to order parts, he has to pay for them somehow. If he orders parts and pays for them out of his pocket and then you decide to have the work done somewhere else, then he is stuck. I see his point about needing money
He has their coach. Seems like plenty of leverage for non-payment there.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:38 PM   #7

How is invoice written...........

You do have an invoice (contract) with this 'guy' correct?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:06 AM   #8

Did this reputable person not know beforehand that these parts would have to be purchased and that he doesn't have sufficient credit with his vendors to get them?
Did this just happen to slip his mind until he had your coach in his possession?
What kind of online reviews and BBB rating does he have?

Here are the pitfalls:
1-He is out of state so if he takes your money you will have to sue him in his home turf and play by his states rules.
2-If your coach isn't drive able, you will be responsible for recovering it (tow bill) plus additional for anything the tow company has to spend to make your coach towable and bring back any parts removed or not installed.
3- Insurance has already pretty much settled, so any towing and additional costs of repairs will probably be on you, and you will lose (or have lost) any leverage your insurance may bring to bear. My guess if his reputation doesn't afford him the ability to purchase repair parts, he isn't worried about being on an insurance companies dookie list.

Way too much that can go wrong on his end (intentionally or by circumstance) and the burden falls on you. I wouldn't have considered this type arraignment unless this reputable person was on the insurance's preferred providers list and at that point, the money wouldn't be an issue. Let him ask the adjuster for the advance.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:05 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
repairs

I do not know anything about the repair company. I have always trusted my gut. If you feel that something is not right and are able to get your rig to another repair shop that you are comfortable with. I would go with that option.

Good luck
skinnysnurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:48 AM   #10

My 2 cents don't pay up front and don't turn over check until you are 100% satisfied, once you do that's it.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #11

Sounds like to ME that it is time to "Shake the dust from your sandals" and find another repair service.

Check out: RV Service Reviews
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Most insurers will make a partial (advance) payment if the cost of parts is substantial, e.g. many thousands of dollars. The shop would usually work that out with the insurer, if needed.

On big jobs. it's not unusual that the work doesn't really start until the insurer commits to pay the estimate price, but that doesn't necessarily mean the check is in hand. Teh shop won't buy pricey and unique parts until they can be assured they will be paid.

Does this guy expect to cash that check and get paid 100% before the work is even begun? Not on my job...

By the way, I've had coaches repaired out of state twice, and the logistics of payment worked smoothly. This sounds like a, smaller, less-than-professional shop, though not necessarily a scam. You might want to reconsider. If he lacks financial resources and experience with insurance repair procedures, what if he goes belly up halfway through your job? Or gets sick? Your coach is torn apart and locked in his shop, maybe with a lien from a parts supplier on it.

One more consideration: If your RV has a loan lien on it, the lien holder may have approval rights on the repair as well as you. And a say as to when payment is completed.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #13

The person who started this thread was extremely short on any details. Alot of solid advice here, but no feedback from that person. Wonder why.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
The person who started this thread was extremely short on any details. Alot of solid advice here, but no feedback from that person. Wonder why.
Reminds me of another long thread asking advice (first post ever) about flying half way across the country (with the money) to look at buying an older coach unseen and had only seen pictures of the coach and pictures of thousands of dollars of repairs. This was also an emergency as the owner had to sell it quickly and that was why so cheap and she had already bought her plane ticket for the next day and then posted. That one disappeared too. BTW, she had never been in an RV before.

Tags
insurance