Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
" NO NO I MEAN MY OTHER RIGHT",
Jay and I solved any possible problems with this by using the same signals I use while spotting Jeeps up an obstacle. It's always "driver" and "passenger" and refers to the direction she wants the rear of the motor home to go.

Any other communications are prefixed with "stop" then she goes into details.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #30

National RV Owners Club
We use the Wal-MART specials...they work pretty good for what we need or use the rear camera audio....
Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Must be hell getting so old you need help backing up. My DW can not assist and will not drive, but I have never had a problem, just use the mirrors and the back up Cam which is sweet.

Well I have to take that never had a problem back... One time when my oldest daughter was with us, she got out and was going to tell me how to back into a spot, after a few seconds I told her to get back in the MH and shut up. Everything was fine from then on...
Old 11-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
My dw loves to camp, but everything to be done, wiith the exception of INDOOR cooking, is my job not hers.

Its not even her job to crank in the step well cover when it becomes obvious I may need to exit the motorhome. (Damn I miss the pace arrows drivers door) but I digress.

I backup on my own. 2 mirrors and a backup camera.
I'm getting better at it.
First autumn, I backed the pace arrow into a big yellow digger thing trying to get to a dumpsite, damage was 14k, state farm took care of it, biody shop winterized the rig amd gave us winter storaGe for free.

I thought I was getting pretty good at it, but last time up the driveway I put the knight into the basketball net. :(
Cost me a tail light, which I will need to replace next spring.

I generally:
Get her situated.
Ask the wife to bring in the power step cover, then do it myself.
Do a walk around.
Back the moho half or 3/4 of the wAy in.
Do another walk around.
Backin the rest of the way.
Walk around again to make sure I can reach all the hookups. ( my third trip past the dw's feet, she has not moved throughout this process.

I camp by myself a lot on business trips....
I kinda liuke that.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Gosh, are we the only ones that use the mike (mic) built into the camera?
That's only one way commo, we use cell phones, I put mine on speaker.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Standard aviation marshaling hand signals work for us. The all important rear view camera sound is always helpful during those 'close' encounters of the immobile kind. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #35

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Weve been using the cobra micro talk radios for several years, originaly for on the water when kayaking. After seeing a number of folks backing into trees or other non-movable objects and and the potential domestics " NO NO I MEAN MY OTHER RIGHT", we always use our radios. Small investment VS the negatives.
When the wife tell me "right", that means the trailer has to go to the right.

I will toss this out. Remember to turn them on. The wife was telling me to stop, and I didn't have the radio on, and backed into the garage. Opps.
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #36

Forest River Owners Club
We use the dual-duplex headsets as they do not require hands pressing buttons, and we can both talk at the same time (don't have to wait for the other person to quit transmitting to interrupt). We tried FRS radios but DW had problems talking before she pushed the button ...and you cannot interrupt the speaker until they quit transmitting. The radio headsets are fantastic when a helpful neighbor/park manager tries to get involved. They can wave their hands all they want, but I can be calmly talking/listening in a regular voice with DW and take her direction regardless of how animated the other "helper" gets.

Anyone with a diesel-pusher knows the rear camera mic is useless for talking when the engine is running.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN
Yep, got one. KEW 0304.
Very Good Sir!

So few folk understand let alone get one...
N3YMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #38

Midland FRS/GMRS radios (WPZ 1327). Works for DW and myself and the 5ver. She's directing, I'm driving. She talks and I listen. Never found the need for duplexing. If I ever do need to tell her anything (very infrequently), I just stop. If I'm not moving at all, let alone in the direction she wants me to go, she knows that I've got something to say and she gets off the radio so I can ask her a question. Works for us and in all the years we've used them we've never had crosstalk on our channels. With all the channels and security codes, the odds are astronomical that anyone would be on the same frequency. We also have Weather on these radios and always take them on our "walk-abouts" just in case bad weather blows in unexpectedly. They also come in handy when we get separated for any number of reasons. We've also got FRS/GMRS/GPS radios for when we go "off exploring".

The Midland radios vary in range from ~1 mile in hilly dense forest to ~5 miles in the flatlands that are prairie or desert. More than adequate for what we use them for.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
We use cell phone, speaker phone. That way it is hands-off on the phone and both hands for the wheel.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tried radios but just didn't workout. Tried hand signals and that was a bust too. Now I just walk to the back of the coach and look at the site, both High and Low, and then backup using my side mirrors. If it is a real difficult site then I stop get out reinspect and then continue on.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote