Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #1

Walkie Talkies

Do they really work? Wife is going to be following me in the pickup while I drive the MH pulling the boat. We have used our cell phones before but would like something more instant than rather having to enter code and dialing. Will not be far apart. Just wondering if anyone has had success using them or are they a waste of money? Thanks
REDEYE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have used them in the long ago past when I pulled a TT and my wife pulled a boat, with voice activated headsets. They worked well. Talk time, monitor time, rechargeability and battery life are issues to consider., as well as range.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:10 AM   #3

Ours work fine up to about 1/2 to 3/4 miles. They work where there is no cell service, but it is still distracted driving having to hold the walkie talkie while driving. We prefer the cell phones when we have service. I like to use a Bluetooth headset that rests around my neck so I can keep both hands on the wheel. You can also dial via voice with out punching in anything.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #4

Very Handy to Have

I have 4 of the Motorola Family channel walkie talkies in the coach. These are left over from the TT days. I put a little square of velcro on the dash in a handy spot and stuck the walkie talkie there. We use them a lot when we have all the kids along and they carry them on their bikes. We can get a good mile if not more when not in a car. I am going to start using them to supplement the back up camera and one way audio monitor.

Sudsy
Old 03-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I have used them in the long ago past when I pulled a TT and my wife pulled a boat, with voice activated headsets. They worked well. Talk time, monitor time, rechargeability and battery life are issues to consider., as well as range.
x2

If you really wanted an all in one system that would allow you hands free, long talk time, long distance, and phone access, look into the systems used by motorcyclist.

They are a bit more expensive, but are very versatile and are on Blu-Tooth only, so no RF interference from outside.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #6

Yes, worth the trouble....used 2 last summer driving 14,400 miles thru Canada & Alaska.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
What we use
https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-ACXT103...et+cobra&psc=1
"If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes".
paparazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #8

We used them when we moved from VA to VT and I drove the rental truck while she drove my truck. I remember hitting the expansion joints on I-81 in PA and she said over the Walkie that it was really funny watching the U-Haul bounce up and down. I replied that she wouldn't be laughing when she saw her furniture.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #9

I thought most people were using FRS radios these days, unless you want to use the truckers channel (19 I think) or the emergency channel (9 I think).

What has a greater range walkie talkie (1960's technology) or FRS?
Old 03-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #10

We use them snowmobiling with speakers and mike in the helmet. Don't think for a minute that they can be reliable for anywhere near the advertised distances. Think hundreds of feet not miles.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
x2

If you really wanted an all in one system that would allow you hands free, long talk time, long distance, and phone access, look into the systems used by motorcyclist.

They are a bit more expensive, but are very versatile and are on Blu-Tooth only, so no RF interference from outside.
Bluetooth is RF and has nowhere near the range of a FRS/GRMS system.

To the OP: These work as good as any and have hands-free ear pieces included.

https://www.amazon.com/Talkies-Scram...QH393PS36YXQ6R

and you can't beat the price.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #12

The FRS radios are limitted to 1/2 Watt, I think. Only certain channels are legal, although i don't think most users know that. When they are advertising 25 to 30 miles, they are referring the the GRMS part, which is 5 Watts. That may be a valid claim In flat country or over water.

GRMS requires a license from FCC, which is good for a family unit. That might work well for this purpose. Handheld radios with rubber ducky antennas do not always work well in a vehicle, especially a motor home.

Lastly, I wouldn't invest too much in these radios right now. The FCC is changing the rules and the radios will need to change to match them. I understand they are quite a ways down that trail but am not sure how soon the new rules will take effect.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward3411 View Post
Yes, worth the trouble....used 2 last summer driving 14,400 miles thru Canada & Alaska.
Yes they do work OK. Used a pair between us and another couple on a 13,000 mile trip thru Canada and Alaska.
Be aware that if you get the type that have both rechargeable batteries and an option to use AA, use the AA option. Recharge batteries must be charged daily as they will only last 6-7 hours. AA option batteries will last 2-3 days.
Best bet is to get some rechargeable AA batteries and a charger for them.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #14
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDEYE50 View Post
Do they really work? Wife is going to be following me in the pickup while I drive the MH pulling the boat. We have used our cell phones before but would like something more instant than rather having to enter code and dialing. Will not be far apart. Just wondering if anyone has had success using them or are they a waste of money? Thanks
Sold and serviced two way radios for 40 years. Yes they work well with limited range as mentioned. I tell folks you really need to be able to see the person to talk to them reliably. A mile is ok on the freeway but in town a mile is often way too far.

Being able to say things quickly is a benefit. Like, "i am taking this exit". Try doing that on a telephone that has not been dialed.

As for the distraction. You don't need to look at the radio to operate it. You need to look at a phone to make it dial. OK, OK. Nerds can make them butt dial but that is not for everybody

The first pair described on Amazon looks like a decent pair and having the weather channel built in is a big plus.

VOX functions often cause frustration. That is starting to transmit with voice signal versus hitting a button.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote