Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2020, 07:57 AM   #1

Wall Planking

First off, nice forum from what I've seen so far. People here think outside the box instead of acting like a manufacturer and or dealer service department. Creative bunch.

OK I bought a 5th wheel a few years ago after a 3 years test run with a used one.
Its permanent, its on blocks, it will not move, its our lake house.

We bought what would suffice, but it is just entry to mid line model. We have been doing modification to suit or needs.

Now I have a new idea to quiet the other half. Like all campers, the decor is ok, nothing special. Looking to do a few walls in peel and stick actual
wood planking.

Its made by Timberchic, its 1/8 thick with a 3M double stick automotive tape.

My only drawback so far with it is doing behind the bed on a curved wall. The rest if flat walls, no worry there. I was thinking that the curve might add some extra pull making it come off and that's the side that see the direct sun 4-5 hours a day adding to this problem.

Don't know if anyone else out there has tried similar. Thinking that once its applied I could small thin staples put in at a slight angle to add stability.

Thoughts?
Conesus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure staples will do much good since the wall construction uses thin veneers.

Normally you see the planking installed horizontally. What if you do this section vertically, maybe adding extra pieces of double sided tape in the center to account for the curvature of the wall.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #3

This has 3 strips of 3m double stick.
One top and bottom, one in the middle.
This will be going on horizontal and I know its going on a luan type product, hence driving the staples at a angle up to 45 degrees probably just along the center to help it hold the curved shape.

I've done peel and stick backsplashes in this, but that not curved nor on a wall facing the sun.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #4

If this is the Timberchic product made from reclaimed wood planking, you could make a small jig to approximate the curve, and then steam the planks into submission. Once it takes a set from that, it ought to stay curved.

(This would be easier if it came with the adhesive tape separate instead of pre-applied, but it ought to work either way. If it is pre-applied, just steam the plank from the other side only.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #5

+1 on steaming. That's how we plank a boat hull.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:29 AM   #6

You could also run a bead of construction adhesive inbetween the tape strips. Press good enough to smear the adhesive to the wall. I would do this anyway. Tape always gets loose in time as it drys out. But it would be a mess to remove (good tape too).
Old 02-23-2020, 06:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
You could also run a bead of construction adhesive inbetween the tape strips. Press good enough to smear the adhesive to the wall. I would do this anyway. Tape always gets loose in time as it drys out. But it would be a mess to remove (good tape too).

Thanks, I have thought about adding such to aid in holding.
But I tend to overthink things at times.
Being all camper walls for the most part and in my case it is, the walls are papered allready. So that is why staples and or brads is the way I was leaning, not only to hold shape, but to aid in keeping it in place and not pulling away.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I specifically hate stapled RV walls as the staples pull out far too frequently. I would find a different way of attaching.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
The only issues I have had with 3m tape coming lose is when the camper was closed up in the summer. It get pretty hot in there. Expansion and contraction of the wood would pop any attempts at stapling IMO unless it is climate controlled full time.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
The only issues I have had with 3m tape coming lose is when the camper was closed up in the summer. It get pretty hot in there. Expansion and contraction of the wood would pop any attempts at stapling IMO unless it is climate controlled full time.

Thank you, thats the kind of feedback I was looking for.
I've had command strips melt off the wall and thought 3M tape might do the same thing. Hence the staple idea, staples in the wall paneling should offer some decent support I thought.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
If this is the Timberchic product made from reclaimed wood planking, you could make a small jig to approximate the curve, and then steam the planks into submission. Once it takes a set from that, it ought to stay curved.

(This would be easier if it came with the adhesive tape separate instead of pre-applied, but it ought to work either way. If it is pre-applied, just steam the plank from the other side only.)
More work to do, result will be a better job that stays where placed. If that is what conesus1 wants.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote