Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Walmart credit card fraud flag

I am currently traveling in Texas from Florida. My visa was flagged as fraudulent by Wallmart when I attempted to purchase items worth $128.00. I contacted my bank and they stated that Wallmart does this because of the large amount of fraud at their stores. I was advised to notify my banks credit department that I would be traveling and which states I might visit. I am so glad that I have 2 none related cards for backup or I could have been stuck on the road without a way to pay for fuel and food.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Why would WalMart flag the card as fraudulent unless the charge was denied by the credit card issuer? That would normally be done by your credit card issuer's (i.e., Visa, MasterCard, etc.) security department. The only other situation I could envision would be if there were some identity questions when the card was presented.

I had my MasterCard's number stolen while we were on vacation this year and didn't find out until we returned home and I attempted to pay my motorcycle insurance premium on line with it - the card was rejected. I called the 800 number on the back of the card to find out why. It turns out that someone had tried to order over $2K worth of sports equipment on line and gave a ship-to address in New York (we live in Texas). This transaction was caught by the MasterCard security department, and they put a lockdown on my card and told the on-line vendor that this appears to be a fraudulent charge. After a brief discussion to verify my identity and that I had not made the charge, they issued me a new card with a new number.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Why would WalMart flag the card as fraudulent unless the charge was denied by the credit card issuer? That would normally be done by your credit card issuer's (i.e., Visa, MasterCard, etc.) security department. The only other situation I could envision would be if there were some identity questions when the card was presented........

Rusty
No, it is happening the way duramax described. It happened to me to, but thru a diff card. The credit card companies are all under a huge pressure to tighten up and deny purhases that are 'different'. And in duramax's case it was probably WalMart Financial not WalMart who denied but at the store check-out line it appears the same to the purchaser.

I have had the same bank's Visa card for 20 years, large line, zero balance but use the card a lot. It was denied at an Apple Computer store in my home zipcode area for a smallish purchase ($750). I used another card but called them when I got home. They said the card had been "reported stolen" but I had never made such a call. So i asked to speak to her manager and that manager told me that it 'technically had never been reported stolen' but that they are just now mandated by management to show different patterns of caution similar to what the airport screeners show ... checking and denying and probing with different patterns.
I was upset and told them they should have asked for me to be put on the phone and asked for my secret data, to not just arbitrarily deny.
They said that they would 'put a note to that effect in my profile.' yea sure.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
I have had the same bank's Visa card for 20 years, large line, zero balance but use the card a lot. It was denied at an Apple Computer store in my home zipcode area for a smallish purchase ($750). I used another card but called them when I got home. They said the card had been "reported stolen".....
That's what I said - the charge was denied by the credit card issuer, not the merchant.

Rusty
Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have on a couple of occasions had the card denied, but all it takes is a phone call and it is pretty automated now to get the charge allowed. Also had a call once about a charge that that was not in our normal spending pattern or location. Someone was trying to charge some stuff in California and we are based near Houston. Got new cards issued over this.

I would much prefer to have this slight inconvenience than the alternative. I question telling them that you will be away from home. They could well be a part of a gang that passes information to their thieves and hit homes where people are away.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
...... I question telling them that you will be away from home. They could well be a part of a gang that passes information to their thieves and hit homes where people are away.
Ken
I absolutely agree with not being comfortable with giving a stranger my detailed travel plans. Won't do it.

But Rusty, what i thought duramax's original point was was that for seemingly no good reason the card was denied. It is the card's financial institutuon that does the actual verifying and potential denying, but when there is absolutely no funny business going on, and no bad guy has tried to use that card's number, the Visa cards are still going to start being denied more often, even if within the card's past comfort zone. Like my long time trusted partner CitiBank explained to me ... part of the situation they now find themselves in.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
But Rusty, what i thought duramax's original point was was that for seemingly no good reason the card was denied. It is the card's financial institutuon that does the actual verifying and potential denying, but when there is absolutely no funny business going on, and no bad guy has tried to use that card's number, the Visa cards are still going to start being denied more often, even if within the card's past comfort zone. Like my long time trusted partner CitiBank explained to me ... part of the situation they now find themselves in.
From the thread title and the first post (see below), the allegation was that WalMart was the guilty culprit. That was my point - the merchant typically isn't the one behind the denial.

Quote:
My Visa was flagged as fraudulent by Walmart when I attempted to purchase items worth $128.00. I contacted my bank and they stated that Walmart does this because of the large amount of fraud at their stores.
I rather suspect in this case that the Visa security department has locked it down because a Florida resident is making purchases in Texas. A phone call to Visa security (not the issuing bank) might well rectify the situation.

Rusty
Old 06-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
My credit card was flagged once because I was traveling and the charging pattern had changed.

The credit card company saw charges in various states vs my normal charges in my home state.

I had the Credit card company note on my account that I was a fulltime traveler and charges would appear from various states.

Problem solved.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #9

I call my card company and tell them I will be overseas and from when to when. I is not nice to try and pay for the hotel in Asia or Europe and have all you card turned down because they think they are stolen.
jaxfl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #10

Duramax and others

IMHO, you should be VERY grateful that someone is looking out for you. Believe me untangling the mess that someone using your credit history to charge stuff is a bear to untangle. Whats a little phone call to keep things straight. BTW, all Credit cards do this. Any change in your spending habits or locations will trigger a response usually. I feel much better that thay have these kind of checks in place. The suggestion of calling your Credit cards ahead of time is a very good idea. Nor do I consider this to be BIG BROTHER issue.

If a thief gets away with ordering stuff in your name, If its under $10,000, and the Credit card invesgative unit gets involved, My local Sheriffs Dept said forget about an arrest. The crooks cross States lines and know all the loop holes that keep them in business. So again IMHO. its best to stop it up front.

BTW, it was 102 here yesterday. Man I wish I could be on the road and get a little cool. s/Toby
Old 06-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
My DW and I do not travel extensively yet (retiring in December). We have had people steal our credit card number 4 times in the last 5 years. The total fraudulent charges were in excess of $30,000.00. In all cases the fraud was found by the credit card company prior to our knowledge. In addition, the credit card company has put a hold on our cards 3 separate times, in all cases it was for weird (as determined by their computer patterns) transactions of larger amounts in various places across the country. Their system sees an INTERNET purchase in California as a California transaction and not a Florida transaction where we live and made the purchased from. Several transactions in a row over a few hours is guaranteed to trigger the hold event.

Our credit card bill runs about $4-$5K a month and we use two different cards to keep them both active. I have one and my DW has one. Neither of us can remember what we bought much less what the other one charged. Having two cards with a reasonable limit is a must today based on the credit card company practice of putting cards on hold. It is a way of life today and is probably going to get worse before it gets better.

The good news is we never had to pay a penny for the fraudulent charges even though we do not carry the insurance (many people do not know that they are not responsible for fraudulent charges even without the bogus insurance they try to sell you). The bad news is the computer programs are going to be flagging more and more events and we just have to learn how to deal with it.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We also had a problem with WalMart with our card. Our Credit Card Co. told us that if we use our card in WalMart more than once within a set period of time and totals more than $100 the 2nd purchased will be denied by WalMart.
What we do now is if one of us is going to check out we call the other and check out together.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I have a better solution. I pay cash. I haven't had a purchase made with cash declined yet!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AS stated previously by another poster, we now notify our credit card companies when we are going out of state. We had a card denied in AZ and another card denied in Canada last year. It only took a phone call to each company to verify our identity and to inform them we were out of California. The funny thing is, neither one is really a credit card but they are processed as such.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote