Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #1

Walmart is camping if you think about it...

Afte spending the night at Walmart last night, i got to thinking.

Technically a campground is nothing more then a big parking lot. The Walmart is missing a hole in the ground to dump your crap, but other than that its a big parking lot as well. Inside the coach, it looks the same at both the campground or the Walmart. Since I dont like neighbors, and I have no desire to befriend people in any parking lot, camping or otherwise, the Walmart has the advantage in this area.

Or me, I will take a night in Walmart over a campground every time!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #2

The campgrounds I stay at are far from being a big parking lot
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
Great, you just go ahead and camp in the WM in Amarillo!

That leaves another site open at Palo Duro Canyon for me to get .... Lol
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
Same here!

We've been Wally camping for the past 40 years, starting out at Kmart before Wally camping was even invented in our part of the world.

We have always avoided private commercial ARVC campgrounds ever since they declared their intent to stamp out Wally camping forever, and force ALL Rvers into private commercial campgrounds, even to the point of campaigning to rid the country of State Parks, so that ARVC would be the only remaining option.

Notwithstanding, we live in a boring quiet rural location where the evening silence is seldom broken other than by a few howling coyotes. We really love awakening in the morning in Wally World to the comforting sounds of mid-city traffic announcing the start of another day!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
Afte spending the night at Walmart last night, i got to thinking.

Technically a campground is nothing more then a big parking lot.
That would be true of the higher-priced higher-end Resorts where making money is the main object, not the comfort of the campers. Some don't even have shade trees or any landscaping worth mentioning at all. They are indeed nothing but parking lots for RVs. A few places we stayed barely had room to extent the awning. But that was before we learned the ropes about CGs, Resorts, free overnighting and other options for camping. The state parks and COEs have much larger sites with some privacy and plenty of trees and natural "landscaping." The COEs especially, at least where we live, are nothing like the overpriced private CGs and Resorts.

Quote:
The Walmart is missing a hole in the ground to dump your crap, but other than that its a big parking lot as well. Inside the coach, it looks the same at both the campground or the Walmart. Since I dont like neighbors, and I have no desire to befriend people in any parking lot, camping or otherwise, the Walmart has the advantage in this area.
Yes it does. But we've run into a few overly friendly talkative RVers in WM lots. Usually though, everyone there is just tired and road weary and just wants to relax inside their RV where it's comfortable.

Quote:
Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
The campgrounds I stay at are far from being a big parking lot
Do you check them with Google Earth before getting off the highway to stop for the night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
Same here!

We've been Wally camping for the past 40 years, starting out at Kmart before Wally camping was even invented in our part of the world.
Years ago, camping in a converted van, my friends and I would spend the night anywhere from a church parking lot to a quiet spot just off a country road. We were always careful to leave nothing behind but our foot prints and tire tracks. No one ever bothered us.

Quote:
We have always avoided private commercial ARVC campgrounds ever since they declared their intent to stamp out Wally camping forever, and force ALL Rvers into private commercial campgrounds, even to the point of campaigning to rid the country of State Parks, so that ARVC would be the only remaining option.
That would tick everyone off I would imagine.

Quote:
Notwithstanding, we live in a boring quiet rural location where the evening silence is seldom broken other than by a few howling coyotes. We really love awakening in the morning in Wally World to the comforting sounds of mid-city traffic announcing the start of another day!
YES! YES! Us too. We live 5 miles from town. All we hear out here are the birds, owls, whippoorwills in the spring and the sounds of insects - crickets, grasshoppers and cicadas. Few cars go by and an occasional person on a bicycle. Having my morning coffee in a WM parking lot and seeing and hearing people coming and going is refreshing. Different. We're not there long though. After the kitties are fed and we have our coffee we hit the road.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Hmm, some might say Walmart is a big hole in the ground where you pick up crap rather than dumping.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Hmm, some might say Walmart is a big hole in the ground where you pick up crap rather than dumping.
x2 I have only been in 1 once, and that was enough
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #9

I have never parking lot camped, but have seen many who do. It seems like there are those who really love it, and those who really hate it. It's good to know there are establishments that will open their lots to campers when there is a need. Campers in turn must take pains to not overstay or trash the place. No sense in ruining it for those who need it, either through lack of funds or just a place top sleep awhile.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
To each his own.

WalMart is for shopping

Campgrounds are for camping.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
laj

that's one of the nice things about wm. you can do both and better convenience.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This whole thread sounds like something from Jeff Foxworthy.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Do you check them with Google Earth before getting off the highway to stop for the night?
I love our Garmin Nuvi 50; the cheapest GPS they make. Tell it you are looking for WalMart, and it will list every Walmart in the direction you are going, and tell you the distance for each one.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
laj

so does my desl, just not cheap.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote