Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2020, 07:48 AM   #29

if only people would be considerate. our local walmart has now posted sign stating that parking is limited to 12 hours. it was not uncommon to see the same rv camped in the lot for multiple days. and many times there were multiple rv's doing this. grills and chairs were out and setup. i don't think this is what was contemplated as in overnight stop.

i've also seen where these campers take up all the far away spaces so that they are not available for travelers who wish to simply stop and do some shopping. we have a 40' foot fifth wheel and we have been annoyed when all the large spots with easy access are taken by the campers.

i thank those of you that are considerate and use it truly as an overnight stop. you're not competing with the shoppers for parking space.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2020, 07:56 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Most all stores where WM overnite is prohibited it's due to local ordinance and most often the local ordinance is due to CG owners (tax paying voters) complaining to local politicans who thrive on votes and taxes.

That's pretty short sighted on their part! If I'm just stopping for a short time, I'll use a Walmart asking the manager if it's okay, but I'll also shop at that Walmart, buy dinner somewhere near, maybe patronize the local hardware store or RV establishment. If I'm prohibited from staying in the Walmart parking lot, I'll just do all those things at the NEXT town. If I was planning on using the Walmart, I wouldn't have been planning using their campground anyway, I would be stopping late, wanting an early start, and don't want to be delayed trying to find campground personnel after hours when arrive late, disrupting other campers, or waiting for office to open in the morning when I leave. I'll just give my tax revenue/shopping $$ to the next town . . . and EVERYONE in that town will lose out . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
People are almost always their own worst enemy. We started camping in 1968. At time you could let your gray water drain on the ground. We stayed mostly at state parks. We always made sure to not let any food particals wash out of the sink onto the ground. We noticed sever camp sights where there was food particals all over the campsight. I told my wife that one day the state would stop the practice of draining grey water because of those few people. A couple of years ago we were in Sieverville, Tenn. we saw a million dollar Foretravel parked in the Walmart parking lot. First, they were close to the building because it was leveler there. They stayed a week. I told my wife the gray tank had to getting full. Sure enough we came by one night and there was a long water trail from the RV to the end of the parking lot. This was the off season, all the campgrounds were half empty. Guys like him will ruin it for everyone. Oh, by the way, I have no dog in this fight. My wife would never stay in a Walmart parking lot.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #32

Hit The Rhod,

Of course you're assuming WalMart parking will be available in the next town. Eventually that won't be the case and you'll have to pay to stay in somebodies RV park.

I suspect that when WM made the decision to allow overnighting they had a different vision than what it's become. I doubt they intended for their parking lots to become full time residences for the itinerant and homeless. I doubt they expected them to be overnight truck stops for truckers to idle all night and dump their pee bottles. And I doubt they planned for folks in $200K RVs to spend the week. Folks buying a few groceries probably doesn't even cover Walmart's lot cleaning expenses.

The whole of American society is becoming more self centered and inconsiderate. It will eventually impact "Wally docking".
Old 08-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Hit The Rhod,

The whole of American society is becoming more self centered and inconsiderate. It will eventually impact "Wally docking".
Sadly and embarrassingly, it's not just American society, it's every society around the world has been my experience.

One of my biggest inconsideration's are the increasing amount of folks that spit disgusting on the sidewalks right in front of us.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:47 PM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Apparently, iRV2 forum members are not the only ones talking about this. The following article appeared Friday on CNN's Business news: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/busin...ing/index.html.

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCM View Post
There is some discussion about Walmart stores not allowing overnight parking. Some locations are prevented by ordnance to keep from competing with local campgrounds. That's understandable, however it's been reported that Walmart is making that a local decision, left up to the manager.
My question is, have any of you been denied parking, or asked to leave? I am a "Walmartion" and would hate to lose this valuable asset. I do believe that as you see more "homeless" people just stopping wherever, and setting up camp the owners will reserve the option of asking/making them move. How many of you have had experience with this and what was the outcome?

Someone posted a link to a CNN article about that on Escapees forums. It is a "he said" type article, no statement from WalMart. In fact WalMart''s policy has not changed, and local managers have always had the final say.
Quote:

"While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV."

See for yourself how many don't allow overnight parking: https://www.walmartlocator.com/no-park-walmarts/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
That's pretty short sighted on their part! If I'm just stopping for a short time, I'll use a Walmart asking the manager if it's okay, but I'll also shop at that Walmart, buy dinner somewhere near, maybe patronize the local hardware store or RV establishment. If I'm prohibited from staying in the Walmart parking lot, I'll just do all those things at the NEXT town. If I was planning on using the Walmart, I wouldn't have been planning using their campground anyway, I would be stopping late, wanting an early start, and don't want to be delayed trying to find campground personnel after hours when arrive late, disrupting other campers, or waiting for office to open in the morning when I leave. I'll just give my tax revenue/shopping $$ to the next town . . . and EVERYONE in that town will lose out . . .
You will still eat dinner, buy RV supplies or hardware and shop whether or not you stay for free at Walmart.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Someone posted a link to a CNN article about that on Escapees forums. It is a "he said" type article, no statement from WalMart. In fact WalMart''s policy has not changed, and local managers have always had the final say.
Quote:

"While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV."

See for yourself how many don't allow overnight parking: https://www.walmartlocator.com/no-park-walmarts/
I'll believe that Walmart values RV travelers as some of their best customers when they also publish a list of whom they consider among their worst customers.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
It's a good thing the DW or I always park the toad in front of the coach close enough another car can't get between us so I can always get out in the morning when Wallydocking.
You can pick up a few orange traffic cones at your local farm store. I always carry them in the motorhome and have used them to mark out a reasonable buffer around "our" space when overnighting at WM or other places where it looked like that could be an issue. If security comes around and tells me I can't have them out, then OK, no problem. But I've found that people tend to respect an orange plastic traffic cone for some reason.

Somebody could steal them during the night of course, but so far no such issues.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
You can pick up a few orange traffic cones at your local farm store. I always carry them in the motorhome and have used them to mark out a reasonable buffer around "our" space when overnighting at WM or other places where it looked like that could be an issue. If security comes around and tells me I can't have them out, then OK, no problem. But I've found that people tend to respect an orange plastic traffic cone for some reason.

Somebody could steal them during the night of course, but so far no such issues.
I had one of my three almost new folding reflective triangles stolen in broad daylight. I use my orange cones to block our paid for campsite if we are out with the coach somewhere. Campground maybe. Walmart never.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:01 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdogger View Post
You will still eat dinner, buy RV supplies or hardware and shop whether or not you stay for free at Walmart.

I certainly will! But as stated in my post, I will do it in the location where I will be staying the night, and if I don't stay in a specific town for the night for whatever reason, my $$ will be spent in a more accommodating town.

Please understand that I believe that any business, or any town is free to limit my patronage, but I am also free to spend my money where I chose to.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #41

It really depends on the local ordinances and stores experience. Redlands, CA has an ordinance prohibiting RV parking on the street or in commercial parking lots. I have seen Walmart security approach RVs that have parked in the lot and asked them to leave. They did provide directions to a local RV site nearby.
kstitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #42

What is so special besides been free, that compels people to want to overnight at Walmart? Sorry I don’t get it

Zzotte

Tags
parking