Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2020, 11:10 AM   #71

We Wally World RV'ers could help our relationship with the Wal Mart stores we stop at by doing the following:
1) Never put down your leveling jacks without pads- don't damage asphalt!
2) Never leave garbage or trash behind- take it with you
3) Never dump Grey or Blackwater tanks
4) Always park as far away from store entrance as possible
5) Always shop in the store if you need something
6) Always pick up trash within 50 yards of your RV & deposit it in trash cans
7) Always roundup stray shopping carts & put in cart corrals

If we would all do these things they will continue to welcome us with open arms. Don't worry, they will know we're doing this by viewing their security cameras! Plus- we'll feel so much better knowing we've done our part to be grateful for the privilege of boon docking in their parking lots. I follow these points any time I stay overnight at Wal Mart.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
We Wally World RV'ers could help our relationship with the Wal Mart stores we stop at by doing the following:
1) Never put down your leveling jacks without pads- don't damage asphalt!
2) Never leave garbage or trash behind- take it with you
3) Never dump Grey or Blackwater tanks
4) Always park as far away from store entrance as possible
5) Always shop in the store if you need something
6) Always pick up trash within 50 yards of your RV & deposit it in trash cans
7) Always roundup stray shopping carts & put in cart corrals

If we would all do these things they will continue to welcome us with open arms. Don't worry, they will know we're doing this by viewing their security cameras! Plus- we'll feel so much better knowing we've done our part to be grateful for the privilege of boon docking in their parking lots. I follow these points any time I stay overnight at Wal Mart.

Happy Trails
Good post Capt. Bill.
I do all of the above and have since I started RVing. As fulltimers we buy almost everything we need that WM carries, all our RV supplies, food and even our drinking and cooking water. We buy most of our fuel at the co-located Murphy Express stations.
All our purchases are made on one or two credit cards. I have been meaning for a long time to tally up the many thousands of dollars we spend at WM every year but can't seem to find the time.
Except for the lumber in the below pics I picked up all the trash the other people left behind. I consider it to be my morning exercise and an opportunity to show WM we're not all "like that."
I draw the line at anything that won't fit in a cart and human feces though. Pee bottles must be capped. Costco sells a nice pair of "picker uppers" for about $10. I would have bought them at WM if they carried them.
[emoji40]
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170930_145552639_HDR.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	296400Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190706_103404989.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	296401
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #73
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
As usual the small percentage are screwing it up for all of us by disrespecting the privilege!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #74
PKI

Since our first and only night at a Walmart, when we did not ask and did not shop, we have purged our guilt by regularly shopping at Walmart when on a trip. In general, they have what we need in one stop.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #75

I think it’s a very good move by Walmart, who wants a business that “customers” pee and poop in the parking lot, sell drugs and scatter trash all over the place on the parking lot? Oregon and a lot of other city’s are passing ordinances in over night parking good for them I don’t want to go shopping in a place where I have to worry where I park do you?

Zzotte
Old 08-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #76

Get Real!

I've been seeing this rumor for the past 12 years; "Walmart is doing away with RV overnight parking."

Folks, it AIN'T happening! Are there some Walmart's not allowing overnighters? Yep! About the same number today as 12 years ago. Have I been turned away? Sure have. One in particular in Georgia said the store is in a high crime area and sent us ten miles down the road to a safer location. Have I had difficulty finding a Walmart to overnight at? Nope.

I always ask the manager if it's okay to open slides and run the genny if needed. Not once has a store manager said no.

Our travels take us from Colorado eastward to the coast and border to border north and south. When traveling from point A to point B, I rarely stay at an RV park for an overnight rest. Walmart is our preferred overnight spot because Walmart is our pantry and my wife loves shopping there.
Dave Dopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:52 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dopp View Post
I've been seeing this rumor for the past 12 years; "Walmart is doing away with RV overnight parking."

Folks, it AIN'T happening! Are there some Walmart's not allowing overnighters? Yep! About the same number today as 12 years ago. Have I been turned away? Sure have. One in particular in Georgia said the store is in a high crime area and sent us ten miles down the road to a safer location. Have I had difficulty finding a Walmart to overnight at? Nope.

I always ask the manager if it's okay to open slides and run the genny if needed. Not once has a store manager said no.

Our travels take us from Colorado eastward to the coast and border to border north and south. When traveling from point A to point B, I rarely stay at an RV park for an overnight rest. Walmart is our preferred overnight spot because Walmart is our pantry and my wife loves shopping there.
In Oregon You will not stay overnight or longer then two hours for that matter

Zzotte
Old 08-09-2020, 05:41 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I'm amazed at the number of folks on here who think their $100-$200 purchase is going to put a dent in Walmart's profit margin if they're told to not camp in the parking lot. [emoji846]

Trust me, Walmart is not going to go out of business because you don't buy a few items when they tell you to move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Every RVer in America could stop shopping at Walmart and it would probably be less than a rounding error on their balance sheet. Threatening Walmart employees that you are going to return $200 worth of merchandise will not change the parking situation one bit. Comparing it to voting in a two party election is pointless.

Since you responded to my post, I'd like to point out that I didn't say anything about threatening Walmart employees, etc. You might want to get your quotes straightened out! It's not difficult, just click the quote button on the post your commenting on!
By the way, except for mixing up what you are speaking about, what IS your point?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:48 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dopp View Post

Yep, that's pretty much been our experience as well! Be considerate, ask the Manager for permission, etc. And I never leave pee bottles or depleted uranium projectiles laying around after I leave! Wait! Strike that last sentence, that's a subject for another thread . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #80

The end of Walmart over nighters

Over the past two years and 43,000 miles travelled only saw a couple of signs at walmart no overnight parking remember wyoming looking like a homeless encampment and moved on. Why oh why do people think it is ok to put out outdoor carpets ,run their generators 24/7 , rig up their gas bbq to cook for the family and entourage and turn on their outdoor tv system , pull out their slides , put down their jacks, have unruly dogs that they do not clean up after, think its fine to drain their grey water tanks in the dark and then stay for weeks on end? The best walmart in the world was the one in Park City Utah an amazing location new store high up with fantastic views of park city, quiet overnight parking ..local ordinance now has " no overnight parking " with tow signs and tow company name and phone number...if you park the fine is hundreds of dollars.

We have parked in every walmart throughout the usa on our travels usually the super walmarts open 24/7 without any problems ourselves we also frequent our favorite "Cracker Barrel" restaurants without any issues apart from Arizona where the Mall security sent us to Bass Pro as they were going to be sweeping the parking lots ..Bass Pro in Las Vegas was fine until Silverton Hotel security decided they had jurisdiction over all parking lots . I was left a handwritten notice I would be towed while I was in cracker barrel having dinner and I had asked permission to overnight at cracker barrel with the manager and he was fine for us to do that. We moved to urban camping instead in at 9.30pm gone by 5.30am with no issues .

Shame as I also heard alaska walmart became a homeless encampment and now have banned everyone so thanks for that.

Just realize this Walmart perk is under threat due to some inconsiderate people who think they are at their own private RV estate which they are not.

Stay safe out there
promaster18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #81

I have "Wally-docked" a couple times. Reason(s)? Like other posters have said, it's because I'm between destinations, I'm tired, and have no reservations at a RV park. So, Wally-docking is easiest option. I do not drop the jacks or put out the slide; I use my own water from the tank, I do not even think about dumping the grey/black tanks, egad! My parking space is left exactly as I found it. I've also parked at truck stops and rest areas. Rest areas are few and far in between though. Texas has picnic areas on state highways which are very nice. Never overnighted in one though.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #82

We use Walmarts on travel days between destinations, staying 1 night only.
I usually call ahead to ask for permission, and many times have been greeted with a very welcoming response, and other times I've been told they do not permit overnight parking and explain why. Again, met with a friendly response even when they say no.
We park out of the way in a well lit area, use the bedroom slide only if on a perimeter spot, leave zero garbage and always go in for groceries.
One night I actually watch 2 guys around 11:30 pm go in the front door and run out the back with arms full of electronics. Unfortunately I could not catch a license number but did go inside and talked with the manager the next morning. She had no idea this was happening and immediately reviewed their video, night time and back room policies.
I can appreciate some people are down on their luck and need a place to park and we try to give them their space, but I have no patience for those who litter and leave.
The other abuse is the RV that parks at Walmart, disconnects their toad or even their trailer/5th wheel and drive off for a day of sight seeing and does it again the next day!
We greatly appreciate Walmart's hospitality and will never take advantage of this privilege.
Hopefully, it's not too late to show Walmart there are more courteous RV’ers than others on the road.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #83
US1

I have yet to experience the Walmart parking,(only been anRV owner 8 months) but I recall seeing RVs on occasion in our local Walmart, as well as semis. Have noticed last 2 yrs there have been no RV's but still semis. Last yr happened to notice the No Overnight RV parking signs along the parking lot edge and figured thats why. Now that I'm somewhat of an RV'r and have been watching this thread, last week I double checked those signs and they actually state; No 'Unauthorized' RV overnight parking. So possibly getting prior permission is the key?

I don't have the Walmart App, so if someone would like to check the status, Id be curious in what the travelers are seeing online?
Veterans Mem. Pkwy, 47909
Old 08-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandad5 View Post
You say churches?
I've never seen anyone parking overnight in a church parking lot. Always thought it would be a good place as you wouldn't bother anything or anyone just to park overnight.
I have stayed at church parking lots. I usually go around to back side if I can. Even had cops drive by. nice and quiet

Tags
parking