Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2022, 09:44 AM   #15

It says they're seeking more that $75,000. I imagine it's in the millions of dollars.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2022, 09:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
The lawsuit was just filed and will be months before there is an outcome unless Walmart settles to make it go away. $75k is chump change. The lawyers will charge more than that for one court appearance.
The lawsuit is for an amount “in excess of $75,000”. That $75,000 is listed because it is the threshold for the case to be assigned to the court appropriate for large lawsuits rather than a small claims court or a municipal court.
The actual amount that will be adjudicated is almost assuredly many time that $75,000.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:56 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The lesson is that if you use one of these stoves, it should be cool before you put it away. Don't get into a hurry when getting ready to move. That's when we make mistakes and some of those have consequences. These things get decided on all manner of things that we can't guess at here. At the end of the day, Walmart parking lots are private property and if they decide they don't want people parking their rigs there overnight, they're free to do so. Perhaps the other lesson is that if we want to continue to enjoy the welcome mat at places like Walmart, we should understand that what happens while we're there can impact that relationship.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:07 AM   #18
tcg

In regard to the question of leaving kids in a car alone, in MN what she did is not illegal, it's only illegal in 19 states but the ages vary from 6 years old to 12. Some states say it's okay if an older child is with them.

In other words, let's not blame the mom without knowing all the circumstances.

What I find odd is the guy that started the fire was charged with second degree manslaughter. It got pleaded down but it was just a tragic accident. And I also don't think it was negligent arson. It's definitely a civil matter but criminal charges? Come on.

Here's a story about the legalities of leaving kids in cars.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...b-c791bfb573f1
Old 08-10-2022, 10:18 AM   #19

Legal or not ... I would never leave 2 little girls or boys sleeping in my vehicle while I went into a store anywhere on this planet. That's just common sense. Too late now though, poor kids.
Article said that motorhome was moved and parked in different location after cooking on outdoor type stove. Which has nothing to do with an overnight stay. He could have been there 1 hour or 10 days.
Tragic accident.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
Old 08-10-2022, 10:28 AM   #20

Personal Responsibility is surely lacking......but hey sue sue sue.
Point the blame away.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
The lawsuit was just filed and will be months before there is an outcome unless Walmart settles to make it go away. $75k is chump change. The lawyers will charge more than that for one court appearance.
$75k is not the amount sought by the plaintiff, but a threshold amount that changes the class of the claim, IIRC.

"...seeking damages in excess of...."
Old 08-10-2022, 10:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
In regard to the question of leaving kids in a car alone, in MN what she did is not illegal, it's only illegal in 19 states but the ages vary from 6 years old to 12. Some states say it's okay if an older child is with them.

In other words, let's not blame the mom without knowing all the circumstances.

What I find odd is the guy that started the fire was charged with second degree manslaughter. It got pleaded down but it was just a tragic accident. And I also don't think it was negligent arson. It's definitely a civil matter but criminal charges? Come on.

Here's a story about the legalities of leaving kids in cars.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...b-c791bfb573f1
Not seeing anyone here claim the mother's actions were *illegal*, only that they were subjectively negligent from a parenting perspective. In Minnesota that is not criminal, just a really bad idea.

I wonder if she'd sue Walmart, had a Tesla suffered a catastrophic battery failure while parked next to her car with the kids inside.

Sue me once, shame on you. Sue me twice, shame on me... my prediction is Walmart will settle out of court and likely prohibit overnight parking at this location.

I recall when this happened and there was speculation that Walmart would uniformly end overnight RV parking at all their stores. So far that hasn't happened...
Old 08-10-2022, 10:41 AM   #23

Send a message via Yahoo to burgmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
I'm very sorry for her loss, but why is she blaming others when she was clearly negligent by leaving her young children alone, unattended in the car?

Sometimes it's hard to accept that your own negligence was the root cause of a terrible event.
Its a sad situation, but I agree, she has to accept most of the responsibility because she left her children. There are stupid people in this world and if not a camp stove, maybe its a cigarette or some other item that causes the fire.

Bottom line, its never a good idea to leave children sleeping in the car unattended.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:42 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Personal Responsibility is surely lacking......but hey sue sue sue.
Point the blame away.

Sad to see that society has come to this, and common sense is disappearing.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 08-10-2022, 10:45 AM   #25

The idea that Walmart has liability due to their policies creating an illegal campground is interesting. When I owned parks there were numerous fire and zoning codes that applied to the park. There were stringent requirements that regulated how close together sites could be. Roads had to be accessible for fire and rescue. And there were requirements regarding registration so the authorized could get information on who was on site in case of an emergency. From a legal point of view Walmart encouraging overnight RV stays may, in fact, create hazards since the safety practices for RV facilities , written into code, are not adhered to by Walmart.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It all boils down to a lawyer who will sue anyone for anything, no matter how stupid or negligent you were in your own actions. People are taught not to assume personal responsibility but to blame someone else.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 08-10-2022, 10:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigceasar View Post
The idea that Walmart has liability due to their policies creating an illegal campground is interesting. When I owned parks there were numerous fire and zoning codes that applied to the park. There were stringent requirements that regulated how close together sites could be. Roads had to be accessible for fire and rescue. And there were requirements regarding registration so the authorized could get information on who was on site in case of an emergency. From a legal point of view Walmart encouraging overnight RV stays may, in fact, create hazards since the safety practices for RV facilities , written into code, are not adhered to by Walmart.
I think Walmart's intent was not to operate a campground but to provide overnight parking for RVing customers.

The actions of some RVers has gone beyond that concept, to essentially setting up a camp site. Eventually this will poison the well of corporate accommodation and it will be lost to us.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigceasar View Post
Using this logic results in every rest stop in America being in some sort of violation. So would parking areas in the many RV and truck fueling stations. How far should we take this?