Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdogger View Post
Once you start charging, you are no longer competitive with FREE.
I'd pay $10 if it had a "no generator" section.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #86

Quote:
Once you start charging, you are no longer competitive with FREE. A few years back another RV internet forum had a survey of how much people would spend as an alternative to Walmarts and Truck stops. The overwhelming answer was ZERO, in a distant second was no more than $5.00. Not one out of nearly 100 responses said they would pay $20.00 or more if there were no services, just a convenient place to park....
Guess I was going on the number of people just in this thread who said that they'd pay a few buck to park somewhere safe if one were available. Also, the number of people who said they'd opt for a campground if they had a section for people just passing through who didn't need more than a space to park possibly a dump station.

Heck, people routinely pay $10 or more to dump tanks at a truck stop and then park in their noisy lots all night.

If abandoned truck stops are not viable due to possible contamination issues, there are plenty of other paved sites dotted all over the map which are deserted and seemingly abandoned.

When they first started charging for reserved parking at truck stops, drivers thought it was stupid and that no one would pay to money. Guess what - paid parking spots are typically full now. One truck stop in Chicago charges everyone for parking, but gives 12 hours free if you fuel up first.

Never suggested flying under the legal radar, just that there is a line in most states between a parking area and a campground. For example, most Camping World locations permit overnight parking for members, and many even have a dump station. I seriously doubt their parking lots are considered campgrounds, and if this were an illegal operation by now I'm sure we'd have seen articles and reports of them no longer offering the service to members.

Lots of parking areas have electric connections for trucks, so that's a possibility. And, lots of parking areas have dump stations for RVs, so that's a possibility. Just have to be careful to not include enough to cross the thresh hold into having the site declared a campground and then be required to jump through the licensing hoops for that.

Thinking out loud - trying to come up with possible option for places where Walmart over night parking is no longer available.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #87

Any time we stay at a Wal-Mart or a Harvest Host location it ends up costing me more than if Id get a campground.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:25 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Guess I was going on the number of people just in this thread who said that they'd pay a few buck to park somewhere safe if one were available. Also, the number of people who said they'd opt for a campground if they had a section for people just passing through who didn't need more than a space to park possibly a dump station.

Heck, people routinely pay $10 or more to dump tanks at a truck stop and then park in their noisy lots all night.

If abandoned truck stops are not viable due to possible contamination issues, there are plenty of other paved sites dotted all over the map which are deserted and seemingly abandoned.

When they first started charging for reserved parking at truck stops, drivers thought it was stupid and that no one would pay to money. Guess what - paid parking spots are typically full now. One truck stop in Chicago charges everyone for parking, but gives 12 hours free if you fuel up first.

Never suggested flying under the legal radar, just that there is a line in most states between a parking area and a campground. For example, most Camping World locations permit overnight parking for members, and many even have a dump station. I seriously doubt their parking lots are considered campgrounds, and if this were an illegal operation by now I'm sure we'd have seen articles and reports of them no longer offering the service to members.

Lots of parking areas have electric connections for trucks, so that's a possibility. And, lots of parking areas have dump stations for RVs, so that's a possibility. Just have to be careful to not include enough to cross the thresh hold into having the site declared a campground and then be required to jump through the licensing hoops for that.

Thinking out loud - trying to come up with possible option for places where Walmart over night parking is no longer available.
What do you consider a "few Bucks"? Say it's $5.00 or maybe even $10.00. Now, how many RVs are the absolute most you have ever seen parked at a Walmart or a truck stop? Is it 5 or 10 or maybe even 20? So even if you captured 75% of those customers you are at $150.00 for the day at the most. I don't know of too many places that have consistent RV traffic year round. The north shuts down almost completely in the winter. Even the south has ebbs and flows. So let's say you can be capture that maximum business for nine months solid (which is virtually impossible). You are going to be collecting $40,500.00 out of which you need to pay for the truck stop, pay for your water and sewer that services your dump station, pay for your advertising, pay for any labor, if you are adding electricity pay that utility bill, figure out how you are going to collect that money and make a profit. It is an impossible business model.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #89

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
What do you consider a "few Bucks"? Say it's $5.00 or maybe even $10.00. Now, how many RVs are the absolute most you have ever seen parked at a Walmart or a truck stop? Is it 5 or 10 or maybe even 20? So even if you captured 75% of those customers you are at $150.00 for the day at the most. I don't know of too many places that have consistent RV traffic year round. The north shuts down almost completely in the winter. Even the south has ebbs and flows. So let's say you can be capture that maximum business for nine months solid (which is virtually impossible). You are going to be collecting $40,500.00 out of which you need to pay for the truck stop, pay for your water and sewer that services your dump station, pay for your advertising, pay for any labor, if you are adding electricity pay that utility bill, figure out how you are going to collect that money and make a profit. It is an impossible business model.
You forgot a few expenses:
Insurance
Business licenses
Gross receipts tax
Cleaning of lot
Blacktop maintenance
Legal expense
Bookeeping and accounting
Telephone
Security
What else did I forget?

Anybody who ever ran a business understands that this is a money losing proposition. Anybody who does not understand that this is a money losing proposition, never ran a business.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:26 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I know this is counter to the typical opinion here, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why any RVer thinks that they are doing something acceptable spending the night in any businesses parking lot... for free, regardless of them shopping at the business.

RVs are meant to be spending their overnights in designated camping spaces/ areas. Not on the street, in a vacant lot, or some businesses parking lot that happens to be available. And it doesn’t matter if you’re “transiting” across the country or region or not.

If you were driving your car across country with your family would you sleep in your car or stop and stay in hotels? Would you expect it to be okay to stay for free anywhere that had space available?

Surely you already know this.

Wal Mart makes it known that they welcome the RV community. It’s a business decision for them. Why do truck stops allow truckers to “park for free”. They don’t have to make spots available for truckers to stay. They do it so they buy fuel, shop, use their showers and service centers. They don’t make any money with them parking. Allowing parking brings in more customers. If Wal Mart had all their spaces filled every night with cars, they would not want one RV taking up 6 spots. Since they have the space, they would rather it be filled with an RV than nobody at all. I’m not sure why people become against a private business electing to allow RV’s to stay on their property.
Hoosier14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:34 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
If a regular RV park had a section for one-nighters for a lower price they would lose money. There are some RVers who won't park at WalMarts. They willingly pay $30-$40 at a RV park for that night. If the same park has a section that only charges $10 I would guess many of those paying $30-$40 would opt for the $10 price instead since it's still in a RV park. Therefore, the RV park would lose money.

WalMarts have carved out a nitche for a specific type of RVer. It's worked well for all involved for many, many years. Why disrupt it?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Insurance
Business licenses
Gross receipts tax
Cleaning of lot
Blacktop maintenance
Legal expense
Telephone
Security
What else did I forget?

Anybody who ever ran a business understands that this is a money losing proposition. Anybody who does not understand that this is a money losing proposition, never ran a business.
As a business owner myself I am sure this discussion is not the first time anyone has thought about cheap rates for rest stop stays. No doubt further research showed this business plan would not be profitable enough to make the risk worthwhile.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #93

I never thought Amazon - remember, the upstart bookseller? - had a real chance of growing, either. The numbers and trends just weren't there.

Now Jeff Bezos just laughs and laughs . . .

Old 09-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier14 View Post
Wal Mart makes it known that they welcome the RV community. It’s a business decision for them..........
As does Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, Cracker Barrel, etc. I've never overnighted at any of them but certainly would if the need arose. And for the record, as a pretty avid bass angler, I'm sure my wife would be the first to tell you that it would cost us a LOT more to overnight at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop!
Old 09-13-2020, 03:56 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
As does Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, Cracker Barrel, etc. I've never overnighted at any of them but certainly would if the need arose. And for the record, as a pretty avid bass angler, I'm sure my wife would be the first to tell you that it would cost us a LOT more to overnight at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop!
We've stayed at a Cracker Barrel a few times. Not too many spots at each location for RVs, but the lots are generally level and quite once the store closes. You have to check in with the manager when you arrive, and then you get to have a great meal. Two if you stay long enough for breakfast.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:57 PM   #96

I overnight at the Cabela's in Mitchell, SD, every time I head west from MN.

I now have SOOOOO many fishing rods . . .

Old 09-13-2020, 05:13 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Insurance
Business licenses
Gross receipts tax
Cleaning of lot
Blacktop maintenance
Legal expense
Telephone
Security
What else did I forget?

You forgot a big one, property tax. The tax assessor won't care you are running a money losing enterprise, they will tax it like it was Apple occupying the space.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #98

Quote:
You forgot a big one, property tax. The tax assessor won't care you are running a money losing enterprise, they will tax it like it was Apple occupying the space.
Oh No! Someone just dropped the Golden Egg.

Tags
parking