Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you overnight at Walmart?
I have never stayed overnight at Walmart 68 32.23%
I only stay overnight at Walmart to sleep while on road 98 46.45%
I stay overnight at Walmart in lieu of staying at a CG 3 1.42%
I have done both 42 19.91%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2011, 06:17 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Walmart parking poll

Ok, let's see how how many of you actually use Walmart for an overnight stay and whether it is just to catch some shuteye while heading to another destination, and how many of you park at a WalMart because of campground availability or cost.

I am not intending to start another Walmart thread, just posting a poll. Let's keep the other thread going!
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #2

The weekenders most likley don't stay at walmart; its the over the road and full timers that stay there.

Maybe add a few more lines to your list to include the folks that are still working and those that are retired or those that are full timers.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #3

We made a rescue run from Hammond, IN to Phoenix AZ and back. We primarily stayed at Walmarts. When we had blown TWO tires, we went to Walmart first to buy tires, but they didn't have what we needed but had NO problem with us replacing them in their lot. We shopped at them on most of our stops and sometimes waited for money there. (Breakdowns broke the bank for me!) Once I start seeing the country in my RV, I will overnight at Walmarts if it's still legal but hope to boon dock well out of the way when we get "there".
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
As I've mentioned in the other Walmart thread, we have used Walmart past the usual one night stay because of a lack of campground vacancies due to a very popular local event. However, we never view Walmart as a camping destination only a parking destination.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We stay while driving long distances. Shame more CG don't do what Chuck Woodbury (RV Travel Magazine) suggested... offer a no frills, no hookup sites within a campground at minimal cost... just a safe place to park overnight... especially near Interstates!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
We only stayed in a WalMart parking lot once. It was late at night and raining fairly hard. There were no campgrounds nearby. There was a Flying-J close by but it was full of RV's. We really had no choice. We were getting tired and stressed with all the rain. That was my only experience at a camp Wally-World.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We occasionally use Walmarts, Sams, etc while traveling. I wouldn't exactly say "only to sleep on the road" becasue we stop around 4-5 pm, have dinner and spend the night. In that sense, it is in lieu of a campground. But we don't make Walmart a destination and don't stay multiple days.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
When I stay at a Walmart in the summer and it is hot; it cost me more money to run the generator than to stay in a campground. So for me, I stay in a campground to save money!
I stay at Walmart for convenience.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if we stay at a wally world its only for a few hrs to get some groceries or rest a bit, or wait our bad weather, or
if i had a bad night the night before

i just would never feel "right" doing an overnighter
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I only stay overnight at Walmart to sleep while on road?
Well yes that's my pick. Bought the camper Nov. 2005 and it hasn't stayed overnight in a campground since When we use the camper it is to go visiting friends and relatives so a camp ground is not required or wanted for that either. Wal Marts and other off the road places do us fine for resting and sleeping. We make no apologies for what we do, nor do we care about what the critics have to say about it We like what we do, and we enjoy doing it. We do spend money at the stores however that has nothing to do with staying overnight in their parking lots as it's for stuff we want or need during the trip. I use WM because it's convenient and sometimes cheaper that their competiters.
So let's see Cheap over night camping, cheap goods so I guess that makes me cheap too, but then again I'm happy saving money if I don't spend it.

Favorite RV song is
Living At Walmart by Pat Pepin

WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:52 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I'm in the have never stayed at one, but won't rule out the possibility. Like many, if it was a matter of catching some shut-eye and continuing on my way.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Traveling now for 11 years we have stayed at a WalMart overnite only 4 times. We stay at Flying J's when on the road until we reach our destination.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:11 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have never stayed in a Walmart lot. Have no problem with it and may some day though. Our trips are mostly NY to FL and back and there are plenty of Flying J's and patrolled rest areas for some sleep on the way.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I prefer Cracker Barrel restaurants as an overnight stop on the way to somewhere else. A phone call or inquiry with the manager is a courteous necessity. Its nice after a long day driving to get a good meal (I sure don't want to cook) and the breakfast option is there in the morning if you want it. We stayed at one recently near Nashville and it was very pleasant. No idling Semis either.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, parking, poll, walmart