Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #29

As you can see, this topic raises blood pressures to an extreme degree. Regardless of the signs you see, if you'd like to stop at a Walmart, just stop and ask. We've been in a number of them that will call the law enforcement folks UNLESS you've checked with them first. They may ask for your coach description, a phone number, a tag number or other ways to ID your coach. Primarily they do this so they can get rid of long time stayers, the idiots, the slobs, and the people who are looking for a place to park a piece of junk for weeks or months at a time. We have even been allowed to stay at a WM that had a STRICT policy against overnights when we found a serious LP leak and couldn't get parts until the next day. A polite discussion with the store manager and my request was granted along with an offer to us of any help we might need finding the parts we needed. We've found asking in person rather than a phone call got much better results. Try it, you might be pleasantly surprised regardless of the signs.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 01:08 AM   #30
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The first request was made as a polite request now not so much. If you can not find a post you have made it’s because it’s no longer here.

As has been mentioned in so many past Walmart threads a few spoil it for the many

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Why do some topics always seem to get to this point that requires a let’s get back on topic and in this case quit picking each other apart before the thread is closed.

I hope you all find this a helpful suggestion and comply with its intent, wether you do or not is up to each of you.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 10-17-2018, 06:29 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Please post your full info so many of us can stop by your place and pick up YOUR payment for OUR stay somewhere other than WM.
Thank you very much for this offering. Pay no attention to these others meanies, I knew you really were good at heart.
I'm sure you know, I was referring to paying for myself to spend the night at a paid campground? That's how this problem got started, too many people don't want to pay their own way in life.
It amazes me when people read things and twist them around.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #32

just a super judgemental and sad thread.

the OP was just asking about policy at a big chain parking lot. OMG!

locations/zoning/management of stores/their parking rules etc. will dictate.
Just stop in and ask about availability to stop and sleep a few.

such a simple starting thread and the venom comes out
Old 10-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
All of the reasons are legitimate. In some locations campers have left a mess and or are living or attempting to survive in a free rent zone!
It is so sad to see so many homeless people in our Countries these days!

On the other hand there are Help Wanted Signs posted in nearly every shop and restaurant! Surely some of these unemployed folks should be applying!

It is a fact that some levels of government have invoked bylaws to reduce transient parking in some locations, this is partly due to pressures put on them by RV Park Owners who are feeling the pinch from lack of customers,and partly caused by violations of nuisance bylaws which have probably been ignored .

Whatever the case may be if it is a legitimate emergency ,no one is going to TowYou unless you can pay the Towing Bill!

The operators of Tow Truck Companies don’t work or operate their equipment as a charity!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSDP View Post
All of the reasons are legitimate. In some locations campers have left a mess and or are living or attempting to survive in a free rent zone!
It is so sad to see so many homeless people in our Countries these days!

On the other hand there are Help Wanted Signs posted in nearly every shop and restaurant! Surely some of these unemployed folks should be applying!

It is a fact that some levels of government have invoked bylaws to reduce transient parking in some locations, this is partly due to pressures put on them by RV Park Owners who are feeling the pinch from lack of customers,and partly caused by violations of nuisance bylaws which have probably been ignored .

Whatever the case may be if it is a legitimate emergency ,no one is going to TowYou unless you can pay the Towing Bill!

The operators of Tow Truck Companies don’t work or operate their equipment as a charity!
It is sad, especially when children are involved.

As far as campgrounds feeling the pinch from lack of customers? I don't know where your camping. But we just returned from a 2300 mile 4 state trip. None of the campgrounds were suffering from lack of customers. Actually just the opposite .
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #35

sorry I seem to have ignited a fire!

Just let me say I have sympathy for those less fortunate than me.

If Walmart had trouble with some campers making a mess, or camping obtrusively (slides out, jacks down, grilling, furniture unloaded, etc.), then I dont blame them. As for cities passing laws against it, I have disdain for many government regulations. Alas, all I can do is vote against those in my district that pass them. However, it probably makes sense in resort areas. (I dont consider Dalton GA and Kimball TN resort areas!)

But, as a camper who sometimes just wants a place to grab a nights sleep and move on, with no hookups needed, I do not want to pay upwards of $40 for that. Heck I could get a budget motel for that price. The pricing has the effect of reducing my total trip time and activities and my $$ resources are not unlimited. The campground that gets that from me during transit prevents the campground from getting it at my longer stay destinations.

Maybe we should all start asking for transistory/boondock/pass-through rates at campgrounds, stating we will use no services except a parking space and maybe trash disposal, and maybe paid services such as laundry. Though I doubt we will get much success. What about offering a 50% discount for this level of service?

Maybe we should all join a co-op that buys lots or uses member-owned land all over the US and allow members to camp at low or no (except membership fees) cost. However, I can see several problems here, from attracting crime, to liability, to upkeep/cleanup labor, and preventing long term squatters.

I think my next long trip I will try to experience some of the free places and try out the interstate rest stops, Pilot/Flying J, and Cracker Barrel for sleep.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSDP View Post
Yes, lots of help wanted signs. But have you ever looked at one of the applications? On every one I have seen the line below NAME is ADDRESS, what happens when that line is blank? File it under Thank You. Have you been arrested? (As more things have become crimes, a much higher percentage of people must mark yes) File it under Thank You. Get past that, and now go for drug test. If you used the wrong drug to escape your dreary life for a while 3 weeks ago, you are not qualified to flip burgers. (The right drug last night is acceptable) File it under Thank You.
Then there is the fact that having a job is no certainty that you can find housing you can afford. Do they pay enough for you to get child care? (Last numbers I seen the average age of homeless in KC metro area was 11) It's a shame that one of the few benefits of a job is it is safe to sleep in the parking lot if you have a car.

Quote:
It is a fact that some levels of government have invoked bylaws to reduce transient parking in some locations, this is partly due to pressures put on them by RV Park Owners who are feeling the pinch from lack of customers,(Myth) and partly caused by violations of nuisance bylaws which have probably been ignored .
Quote:

A word of caution there; In many places, the owner/manager of property can sign that the want a vehicle removed from their property. A tow company will tow the vehicle to their lot, and hold it until a much higher than normal tow plus storage fee is paid. And I have never been involved in it but I have heard of property owners putting a lock on a vehicle to be sure they get paid a fee for parking...
Old 10-17-2018, 09:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly View Post
just a super judgemental and sad thread.
mmmm...aren't you being judgmental by saying this is a judgmental and sad thread?
Closed Thread