Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #1513

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
When overnight parking is not allowed most RVers just move on to the next town;The town loses, the stores lose, the campgrounds that think the RVers will stay with them are only kidding themselves, from that time on, most RVers simply bypass that town.
I don't believe that you are speaking for any large number of RVers but a small minority of those traveling the highways. It is everyone's right to move on but I believe most will find some where in the area to stay, whether paid or free. If fuel or supplies are needed the purchases will still be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Perfect example:
Some states charge out of staters extra to stay in there state parks; most seasoned travelers simply bypass those states (including myself)

Pa. is on of those states; only stayed in one of there state parks one time, even though I have kine folks that live there that I visit.
penny wise dollar poor
Most state parks that we have tried to travel to are booked almost solid thru the season, seems as though those who are bypassing these states are not making a huge difference.

Just my humble opinion though
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #1514

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
The DW and myself "camped" or was that slept, at a Walmart in Windsor Ontario on our way to Florida a year or so ago.

It was just a few days before Christmas and I could be wrong but we could ot find a single campground open within 500 miles!

Too darned cold!

So, I guess we should have parked at a Holiday Inn Express instead!

Government!
Old 05-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #1515

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the fall of last year we took a trip through New England and down the coast to Florida and then back to California.
After Colubus Day you could not find a RV Park that was open along the northern part of the East Coast. It seems that day is the Last Hoopla for camping in those parts.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #1516

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up

Just wondering what one of the anti Wal Mart RV'ers would do in a situation like that. Just wondering

Cheers from NS
Willey
Old 05-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #1517

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilleyB View Post
Just wondering what one of the anti Wal Mart RV'ers would do in a situation like that. Just wondering

Cheers from NS
Willey
Welcome, K-Mart shopper! Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
Old 05-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #1518

In my travels (which is a lot) 4 to six months a year; I've found that the walmarts; and flying Js are filling up with campers for the overnight gang; this wasn't true six to ten years ago. price of everthing going up folks are looking to save a few bucks.
Weekenders; they will head for the local park.
For the long haul you can't beat walmart for overnight; leaves the privet parks to the locals.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #1519

Quote:
I don't believe that you are speaking for any large number of RVers but a small minority of those traveling the highways. It is everyone's right to move on but I believe most will find some where in the area to stay, whether paid or free. If fuel or supplies are needed the purchases will still be made.
This happened in eastern Canada. City ordnances preventing Wallydocking.... Rvers bypassed the area and business suffered to a point where they had to reverse the parking ordinances.. I stay overnight in towns that allow Wally docking and give them my business ie fuel, food. The towns that do not allow overnighting I simply plan the trip so that I will roll on by during the day and with the size of motor home tanks its easy to bypass a large area.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #1520

If I'm just stopping for a few hours sleep, I'm not going to spend a bunch of time hunting a campground -- it would have to be literally right on the highway AND not look like it would take me much time to check in (i.e., if I arrive at 11:00pm, do I have to wake someone up?). Most likely, I'll pick a different spot on the road to stop. Spending an hour getting to and checked into a campground is 60 miles I can get farther down the road.

I can understand when it comes to real camping, but for just grabbing a quick nap?

Steve
Old 05-30-2011, 11:54 PM   #1521

Walmarts in canada (Quebec)

This summer we will be travelling to Quebec but have a concern about parking overnight at Walmart. In the USA, the Walmarts are open 24 hours but the ones in Canada are not. Do you still think it is safe to park in a Walmart that is not open 24 hours?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:52 AM   #1522

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaint View Post
Why does everyone go to Wal-Mart??? What wrong with Home Depot and Lowes?? Just curious.....
Walmart allows overnight parking at most locations, whereas Lowes and Home Depot do not. Walmart knows that most RVers that stay overnight shop at Walmart while there.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:01 AM   #1523

Triple E Owners Club
In Terrace BC council decided to outlaw overnight "camping" at Walmart.
The business community was against people "camping" there.
Now travelers pass right through Terrace and don't spend a dime there.
The town is really hurting because tourists go right through.

Why do people call it "camping", it's not camping.
It's "parking".

Greetings out of the Wallmart lot in Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada.
(We bought supplies here, went to Tim Horton's and bought some stuff at the nearby mall.....
Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 AM   #1524

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickCanada View Post
This summer we will be travelling to Quebec but have a concern about parking overnight at Walmart. In the USA, the Walmarts are open 24 hours but the ones in Canada are not. Do you still think it is safe to park in a Walmart that is not open 24 hours?
Rick, we just arrived in New Brunswick. We are from BC.
We traveled through Quebec (visited Quebec City), spend the nights at several Walmarts that were not open 24 hours. It's no problem.
While visiting Quebec City we parked at night at the Levi Walmart right next to the highway. There were only two other RV's there.
During the day we parked in the ferry parking lot and took the ferry to Quebec City......
Old 05-31-2011, 06:07 AM   #1525

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How about a poll asking how many use WalMart primarily for a quick sleep while travelling vs how many use WalMart to save camping fees? If I read the previous thousand plus comments, it seemed to be in favor of the quick stop late at night to catch a few hours of sleep while heading to a destination. I could be wrong.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:29 AM   #1526

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobriant View Post
I wonder if the city of Winnipeg will also try to pass a law that RVers are not allowed to prepare and eat meals in their RVs, but will instead be legally required to eat in restaurants in Winnipeg....
This is the best reply that I have seen! A close second is the one re the Political connection.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping