Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2011, 06:33 AM   #1527

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilleyB View Post
Just wondering what one of the anti Wal Mart RV'ers would do in a situation like that. Just wondering

Cheers from NS
Willey
They park free in their own campgrounds or at their friends campground, what do you think?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #1528

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
How about a poll asking how many use WalMart primarily for a quick sleep while travelling vs how many use WalMart to save camping fees? If I read the previous thousand plus comments, it seemed to be in favor of the quick stop late at night to catch a few hours of sleep while heading to a destination. I could be wrong.
Done.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/walma...oll-93291.html
Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #1529
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S. View Post
In Terrace BC council decided to outlaw overnight "camping" at Walmart.
The business community was against people "camping" there.
Now travelers pass right through Terrace and don't spend a dime there.
The town is really hurting because tourists go right through.
It's really surprising to me that WalMart RVers bypassing a town because there is no free "parking" can have such a devistating impact on an entire town.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #1530

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
It's really surprising to me that WalMart RVers bypassing a town because there is no free "parking" can have such a devistating impact on an entire town.

Rick
As I said in a previous post, it will happen. I personaly avoid those states and towns that are not RV friendly.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #1531

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:

Rick
Why would this surprise you??? When you stop at "Wally World" you usually (at least I do) restock supplies, buy fuel, grab something to eat at night and in the morning before hitting the road again....It all adds up...Old Sam wasn't anybodies dummy, he knew that if he could get people in his store that they would "buy something"...Like I said every little bit adds up.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #1532
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
Why would this surprise you??? When you stop at "Wally World" you usually (at least I do) restock supplies, buy fuel, grab something to eat at night and in the morning before hitting the road again....It all adds up...Old Sam wasn't anybodies dummy, he knew that if he could get people in his store that they would "buy something"...Like I said every little bit adds up.
It surprises me because I don't believe it.

Yes, evey little bit adds up but I don't believe that there are enough RVers bypassing "no WalMart overnight parking" towns to make the entire town "really hurt".

On any given night I'm guessing there are between 3 and 10 RVs in a Walmart parking lot and having those folks drive on by won't have a big impact on a town.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #1533

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
When I stop at WallyWorld, I never leave without dropping at least $100..

If I can fuel at Sams, I will drop another $300 minimum....
Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #1534

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
It surprises me because I don't believe it.

Yes, evey little bit adds up but I don't believe that there are enough RVers bypassing "no WalMart overnight parking" towns to make the entire town "really hurt".

On any given night I'm guessing there are between 3 and 10 RVs in a Walmart parking lot and having those folks drive on by won't have a big impact on a town.

Rick
Rick,

If it was ONLY the RV's that you saw parked there then may be...but how many RVers stopped during the day to resupply and then moved on down the road... It seems that RVers kind of stick together and towns don't want to take a chance of getting the "Blackball treatment" from such a large group. Look at the towns that reversed themself on overnight parking...Lake City, FL comes to mind.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #1535

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I reiterate...

EVERY WallyWorld I have been in has a dedicated RV section (in automotive) and a Camping section (in sporting goods) Haven't seen that at any other big-box store.

Retail floorspace is precious (read $$$$$) and if WM dedicates that valuable space to those items, then believe-you-me, there is more than enough customer traffic to warrent that.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #1536

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickCanada View Post
This summer we will be travelling to Quebec but have a concern about parking overnight at Walmart. In the USA, the Walmarts are open 24 hours but the ones in Canada are not. Do you still think it is safe to park in a Walmart that is not open 24 hours?
Hi!

I've parked overnight in a few Wal-Marts here in the U.S. that aren't open 24 hrs.
They all have 24 hr. security patrols
Seems to keep things pretty quiet...

Francesca
Old 05-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #1537
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S. View Post

Why do people call it "camping", it's not camping.
It's "parking".
Because some folks actually set up a camp site and camping sounds much more ominous when complaining.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #1538
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
Rick,

If it was ONLY the RV's that you saw parked there then may be...but how many RVers stopped during the day to resupply and then moved on down the road... It seems that RVers kind of stick together and towns don't want to take a chance of getting the "Blackball treatment" from such a large group. Look at the towns that reversed themself on overnight parking...Lake City, FL comes to mind.
Yeah, that stuff about the towns reversing themselves does kind of blow a hole in my theory. Now THAT surprises me (a town reversing itself because they lost business) but facts is facts. I guess I just didn't realize that the RV community was so unified as to be able to bring about such change via "blackballing" towns.

Thanks for the insights

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-31-2011, 10:35 AM   #1539
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
And there was a town in Montana that abandoned their no overnight parking law after RV owners mounted a campaign.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #1540

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobriant View Post

There are some other "good manners" guidelines as well. You mention slides and jacks. Slides should be extended only when it's safe for you and for others -- that is, extended only over areas where nobody will be walking or driving and where no moving vehicles may strike them. If using jacks on asphalt, use jack pads or pieces of plywood to prevent leaving impressions in the surface of the lot.

There are some other guidelines as well, which the FMCA and numerous other RVing organizations. http://www.fmca.com/images/stories/p...ing_letter.pdf
I guess I should have said there are no rules and there are no "guidelines." Just because some group makes up a bunch of "guidelines" or rules, doesn't mean they have any say in how Wal-Mart does business or how individual RV'ers park their RV. Common sense dictates "good manners" and the safekeeping of the individuals RV and the ground upon which it is sitting. I just don't understand why anyone wants to try to tell someone else how to conduct themselves. It's a private RV on private property, that's it. I understand the need to be as inconspicuous as possible and doing no damage. I presume others posses the same common sense as I. If they don't, it's up to management to let them know about it, not other private individuals.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping