Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #1723

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Just curious how much electric $10 will buy in a 10-12 hour period. 2 roof air or 2-3 1500 watt heaters, electric hot water, microwave, electric fry pan, and / or electric refrigerator. Does it leave any money for grounds maintenance, or trash disposal, and not to forget the initial costs for land and capitol improvements of stone or paving. Don't know about elsewhere, but electric around east coast is quite expensive. Of coarse no one would expect to use all these amenities.
I'm a fulltimer staying in Austin, TX(HOT). I use 2 A/C's, microwave, lights, TV, refrigerator, computers, router, hot water, and fans. Last months electric bill was $105. $105/30 = $3.50/day.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #1724
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
I'd pay $10 for a pull through (with electric) for 10 hours sleep!
When the survey said "no frills," I think they meant NO frills at all. No hookups, no restrooms, no amenities of any kind -- just a place to park and sleep for the night. But the survey question is open to interpretation.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #1725
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
...How many weekenders or infrequent RVers even KNOW that Walmart is an overnight parking option?
Unfortunately, many weekenders an infrequent RVers believe (wrongly) that they can spend a night in any Walmart, that they can set up a campsite (instead of just parking for the night), and that they don't have to get permission from the store to park overnight (which is specified in Walmart's Corporate Policy on Overnight RV Parking.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #1726

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
Since spending the night at Wal-Mart is a bargain I guess we could call it a fire sale. Stop Shop and Roll.
im with you i just love it
Old 06-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #1727

Hopefully just a slight disruption for factual information in the midst of the lighter banter.

Referring back to the posts of a few days ago in this thread about the WM in Wenatchee, WA, we pulled in there June 2 to find their sign asking that no one park overnight while they are in the midst of their remodeling. Not knowing that was a topic of this thread until I read through it tonight, I do not recall seeing a target date to complete the remodeling and reopening the parking lot.

We jumped over to the nearby Home Depot, but it was too unlevel for parking, so we motored on another couple of hours eastward on US 2 until we found a gravel parking lot suitable for overnighting in the wide-spot-in-the-road otherwise known as Wilbur, WA, between Billy's Burgers drive-in and the local little league field where a game was in progress.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:14 AM   #1728

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
I'm a fulltimer staying in Austin, TX(HOT). I use 2 A/C's, microwave, lights, TV, refrigerator, computers, router, hot water, and fans. Last months electric bill was $105. $105/30 = $3.50/day.
Be thankful, we pay 17 cents per KWH. here in NJ. Guess your bill would be almost 1 1/2 to 2 times over here.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #1729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
We have stayed a Wal-Mart the last 4 nights (4 different ones) and it has gotten down to 41 degrees. I have to run the generator to charge up my AGM batteries to run the propane heater fan as well as my sleep apnea machine. Probably doesn't save that much money, but it sure is easy. One night, we had somebody in a tag axle Fore Travel run his generator all night and also had spotlights on all four corners of his rig. Strange.
Not strange----parinoid
Old 06-13-2011, 07:27 AM   #1730

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Be thankful, we pay 17 cents per KWH. here in NJ. Guess your bill would be almost 1 1/2 to 2 times over here.
You bet I am, $0.10 per KWH here in Austin but it seems to vary throughout Texas.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #1731

Winnebago Owners Club
Geeeee............

I thought SE Michigan was high @ 0.10/kwhr. I dont think Ill move to NJ anytime soon. Plus Michigan has all the clean...fresh water we can ever use too....
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 06-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #1732

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
279 to go!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #1733

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
Geeeee............

I thought SE Michigan was high @ 0.10/kwhr. I dont think Ill move to NJ anytime soon. Plus Michigan has all the clean...fresh water we can ever use too....
861 kwh $149.27 = $0.173 electric
Highest auto insurance rates also.
Don't even ask about taxes.
New Jersey
Old 06-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #1734

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobriant View Post
Unfortunately, many weekenders an infrequent RVers believe (wrongly) that they can spend a night in any Walmart, that they can set up a campsite (instead of just parking for the night), and that they don't have to get permission from the store to park overnight (which is specified in Walmart's Corporate Policy on Overnight RV Parking.
How many?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #1735

If I can't afford a campground, I'll stay home. Parking lots are not the scenic view I wanted when I bought a coach.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #1736

Have stayed a good number of nights at Walmart. Always shopped, sometimes asked the manager (if it was convenient). Used the slides, always put the coach where we were out of any customer parking areas. Walmart trucks park in remote areas of their parking lots. Thats where we go. Generators seem not to both anyone. No awnings, chairs, grills, outside activities. Walmart really allows a great value for RV'ers that are traveling through an area. This is something all RV'ers should respect and use with care.
JB
Closed Thread

Tags
camping