Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #1765

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
If you want to see something strange just go to "youtube.com" and put "people of walmart" in their search box. You will be shocked!

Happy Trails, Joe

Or you can go to their website too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 AM   #1766

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobriant View Post
Please let us know whether the State Police kick you out or let you stay...
It's 6:20 AM and we ALL made it through the night!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Terre Haute 6-17-2011.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	11255  
Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #1767

If there are 40 18 wheelers and 1 motorhome parked overnight in a rest stop; who do you think will be asked to leave?
Happened to me in North Carolina.

If you are ever in North Carolina, beware of a highway patrol officer by the name of T R Jones.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #1768
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
But, how do YOU KNOW that they haven't gotten permission to stay more than one night and put their slides out?
In the post you quote I didn't say anything about slides or about multiple nights.

I'm talking about people who park their RV in a Walmart parking lot without getting permission from the store. There are LOTS of them. I've personally spoken with many RVers who believe that they can camp (not park) overnight in any Walmart parking lot, any time they want to, and that they don't have to obtain store permission. I'm also talking about people who extend their awnings, set out lawn furniture, and set up a BBQ grill in a Walmart parking lot -- and I've seen lots of them, too.

My point is that when we want to park overnight at Walmart, we need to follow Walmart's corporate policy, which is to obtain permission from the store -- and we need to do this even if there are already other RVs in the lot, because we don't know whether they obtained permission. If I want to park overnight there, I need the store's permission.

If we hope to stay more than one night, we need permission for that as well. (Personally, I've spent two nights in a lot only once; that was to avoid driving into a line of severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. I asked the store manager for permission to stay a second night, and she said, "Of course! I don't want you out there driving in that weather!" )

The most widely accepted guidelines on "blacktop boondocking," the FMCA Good Neighbor Policy says nothing about slides. The practice you describe is the responsible way to deploy slides in a parking lot -- extend them over a grass area where there's no vehicle or pedestrian traffic.

Some RV's (ours included) requires use of leveling jacks before we extend our slides. In asphalt parking lots, that means using pads under the jacks to protect the surface and not leave permanent indentations.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #1769
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
I'm glad they let you spend an uneventful night!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #1770
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
If there are 40 18 wheelers and 1 motorhome parked overnight in a rest stop; who do you think will be asked to leave? Happened to me in North Carolina.
There's a reason for that in North Carolina. North Carolina regulations allow commercial vehicles to park in rest areas for up to 10 hours, while the limit for non-commercial vehicles is four hours.

Different states have different rules. Some states have different rules for Interstate rest areas than for rest areas on other highways. Some have different rules in different Interstate rest areas. If you want to park overnight in a rest area, you need to know whether or not it's allowed in that specific rest area.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #1771

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
First let me say that I have never yet parked at a Walmart overnight (although I have taken several naps there during the day). I am a single female traveling by myself (except for my 2 wonderful canine companions). I would not want to park then walk into a store at 10:00 (or later) at night where anyone watching would know I am alone. The one time I spent the night at a truck stop area I pulled in and parked then slept on the sofa full clothed (including shoes) until I woke up the next morning. I parked close to the grass so I could slip out and walk my dogs then drove off.

How does a single female traveling alone ask permission if she doesn't want to leave the motorhome and doesn't have a phone number for the store?
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Old 06-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #1772
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post
How does a single female traveling alone ask permission if she doesn't want to leave the motorhome and doesn't have a phone number for the store?
How about directory assistance?

Or carry the Walmart edition of the Rand MacNally atlas, which lists most (but not all) Walmarts and Sam's Clubs, with addresses and phone numbers. (However, it doesn't indicate individual store policies on Overnight RV Parking.)

Or use the only website that lists Walmarts and several thousand other Overnight RV Parking locations in the USA and Canada, along with addresses, the individual location policy, GPS coordinates, driving directions, and even where in the lot each store will want you to park, along with a zoomable Google map for each location -- all searchable by city or by ZIP Code.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #1773

Barbara,

If, when you leave your home, you leave some lights on and call back through the almost closed door as you leave, "Sammy and Jaymie, I'll be back in a few minutes!", how is someone going to know that you are traveling alone?

I can understand not wanting to walk into a store late at night just on general principles, but there's no way someone can know that you are traveling alone just because you walk alone into the store. You could have a whole family staying behind in your MH, or at least some big, burly mean dude.

Plus, your dogs probably bark if strangers come around, and that would likely make someone think twice.

liz
Old 06-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #1774

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
If there are 40 18 wheelers and 1 motorhome parked overnight in a rest stop; who do you think will be asked to leave?
Happened to me in North Carolina.

If you are ever in North Carolina, beware of a highway patrol officer by the name of T R Jones.
I have been told by some truckers anyone with any type RV is taking ther spaces. Ther are rest areas that are so fuss the trucks are parked at the off and on ramp of the rest area. They say they are making a living and we are not. They can't go to a camp ground as we can they say. The officer is leaning to the trucker I would say in this case.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #1775

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
Thats a lot of toad, great looking rig.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #1776

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
Barbara,
You could have a whole family staying behind in your MH, or at least some big, burly mean dude.liz
Please send big, burly dude!!!
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #1777

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
You are a female traveling alone so for sure take every precaution and don't let anyone talk you into leaving your rig if you don't feel safe doing so.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #1778

Barbara,

If I had a spare one, I'd gladly do so . I'm not sharing mine, though.

My "backup boyfriend" (standing joke) might be available in a couple of years....

liz

Tags
camping