Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #183

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi All,

I've been reading this thread, since I joined this past summer and wanted to throw in my two-cents.

For years, I noticed the various RV's parked in the far reaches of Wal-Mart parking lots. I had assumed that they were there to stock up and just parked far away due to the size of their rigs. With that assumption, I thought it was really decent of them to park farther away and leave the closer spots for the cars.

Then about three years ago, I found out that Wal-Mart allowed, brief, overnight parking. I thought that was VERY cool of them. Yes, most staying there would shop at Wal-Mart, but they (Wal-Mart) didn't have to do this.

Since I've had my TT (I'm a newbie- only had her for 18 mos) I have not stayed at a Wal-Mart. However, I really like the idea that it is there if I ever needed it.

I grew up in the Corps and, with my former husband, was stationed- twice- in Beaufort, SC and twice in Pensacola, FL. Due to hurricanes, the last year I was in Beaufort, I had to bug-out three times. Back then I had to search for hotels, far enough away from the storm AND find some place that would take me and my dogs (this would be alone, as my former husband was required to stay on the Air Station (and no, this did not bother me, I married a Marine and duty comes first- I NEVER had any problem with that)).

Now I am in the PNW (since Christmas 1993) and we just don't have weather like the South does (they don't know how good they have it here :). However, now if I have to bug-out, I have the TT and knowing that I have a 'port-in-the-storm' at a Wal-Mart parking lot is a big comfort to me.

I am grateful that most Wal-Mart's extend this courtesy to RV'ers.

Sheila :)

PS~ Because of this thread, I have learned the proper way to conduct myself and to always ask permission from the store. Without this thread, I would not have known this. I want to keep this courtesy available; long into the future, so knowing the little 'niceties' allows me to do my part in that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Hi All,

I've been reading this thread, since I joined this past summer and wanted to throw in my two-cents.

For years, I noticed the various RV's parked in the far reaches of Wal-Mart parking lots. I had assumed that they were there to stock up and just parked far away due to the size of their rigs. With that assumption, I thought it was really decent of them to park farther away and leave the closer spots for the cars.

Then about three years ago, I found out that Wal-Mart allowed, brief, overnight parking. I thought that was VERY cool of them. Yes, most staying there would shop at Wal-Mart, but they (Wal-Mart) didn't have to do this.

Since I've had my TT (I'm a newbie- only had her for 18 mos) I have not stayed at a Wal-Mart. However, I really like the idea that it is there if I ever needed it.

I grew up in the Corps and, with my former husband, was stationed- twice- in Beaufort, SC and twice in Pensacola, FL. Due to hurricanes, the last year I was in Beaufort, I had to bug-out three times. Back then I had to search for hotels, far enough away from the storm AND find some place that would take me and my dogs (this would be alone, as my former husband was required to stay on the Air Station (and no, this did not bother me, I married a Marine and duty comes first- I NEVER had any problem with that)).

Now I am in the PNW (since Christmas 1993) and we just don't have weather like the South does (they don't know how good they have it here . However, now if I have to bug-out, I have the TT and knowing that I have a 'port-in-the-storm' at a Wal-Mart parking lot is a big comfort to me.

I am grateful that most Wal-Mart's extend this courtesy to RV'ers.

Sheila

PS~ Because of this thread, I have learned the proper way to conduct myself and to always ask permission from the store. Without this thread, I would not have known this. I want to keep this courtesy available; long into the future, so knowing the little 'niceties' allows me to do my part in that.
What a great and level-headed attitude! RVers like you will never ruin it for the rest of us who at MOST, would only use WM's hospitality in rare and unusual circumstances - not as a routine, daily way of life!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #185

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
What a great and level-headed attitude! RVers like you will never ruin it for the rest of us who at MOST, would only use WM's hospitality in rare and unusual circumstances - not as a routine, daily way of life!
Im planning walmart stays into my routine as we speak

PNW girl dont let anyone dictate to you how and when to use walmarts. Its completely between you and Walmart and the city bylaws. cheers
Old 01-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #186

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Im planning walmart stays into my routine as we speak
As am I. I am heading south later this month and am happily planning my layovers at Wal-Marts or Cracker Barrels along my route. I always plan a couple of places for each day so I can be flexible about the hours I drive. No reservations to worry about or time table to keep.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #187
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Folks, let's keep this civil and not poke or jab at another opinion. Remember the rule is to be nice.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 01-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #188

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Folks, let's keep this civil and not poke or jab at another opinion. Remember the rule is to be nice.

Ken
It was not my intention to upset or offend anyone, and if I did, please accept my apology.

I had read an earlier posting, to this thread, saying it should be removed. As a newbie, my opinion is that it would be a disservice to other newbies. We learn from all of you on what to do/don't do, what is available/not available & to learn courteous RV etiquette.

Currently, I range within a day's drive of home. As I get more confident, that will change. So my need, of Wal-Mart parking, at this time, would be rare. I just love the idea that they are there if I need them (same as Camping World and other places).

Sheila :)
Old 01-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #189

FWIW on our trip home from Florida I had to call 4 different campgrounds to find one who would allow us to arrive at 9 pm. Luckily we found one as most didn't want late arrivals. I can see where people stop for the night and leave early in the morning at a Walmart.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #190

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Heck, I have to go back to work...Guess I'll bookmark this so I can find my place when I come back...
Old 01-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #191

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
It was not my intention to upset or offend anyone, and if I did, please accept my apology.
Sheila you have no reason to apologize. The moderators warning was not directed at you.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #192

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Steve! I wasn't sure, so decided- if I was the one- then I wanted it to be known it was unintentional.

Not to say that I do not enjoy a lively, good-spirited, debate from time-to-time

Sheila
Old 01-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #193

Solo Rvers Club
I have used WMs a couple times in 16 years, and I agree with everyone: Use it all you want, or choose not at all. My experience has been negative because of proximity to freeway traffic and hysters running around my rig in the middle of the night. LOL However, I'm not looking the gift horse in the mouth (as they say in the old country) -- it is free and they are everywhere there are freeways, and as PNW girl said, they don't have to offer it, so I'm glad it is available!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #194
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb Wal Mart Overnighting !

Just received the FMCA Mag., like many of you members.
Page 240 has a whole page letter from some industrie members:

RVERS' GOOD NEIGHBOR POLICY

It's a good read

TW
Old 01-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #195

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Thanks Steve! I wasn't sure, so decided- if I was the one- then I wanted it to be known it was unintentional.

Not to say that I do not enjoy a lively, good-spirited, debate from time-to-time

Sheila
Yeah I wondered who it referred to also, so I checked back a few pages and I think it was my post Ref "Holier than Thou" or something like that, if it was, then sorry folks , it'll be difficult but I'll behave myself

Cheers
Willey
Old 01-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #196

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I thought it was me as it came right after my post. If it was me I too am sorry.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping