Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #3207

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Maybe I am naive but with at least 9 RV parks and campgrounds paying taxes and fees in Ocala, I fail to see how banning overnighting in the Walmart parking lot is going to drastically harm the community. Just wondering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
When traveling we bi pass the towns that do not allow RVs to overnight and stay at the RV friendly towns. We eat dinner and shop in the RV friendly town. This is a small example George. For purposes of this discussion, RV friendly towns are the ones that do not have ordinances against overnight parking at walmarts.
+1 We don't do campgrounds. We do spend money. When there are towns that aren't RV friendly, we bypass them and spend our money in the RV friendly towns. It's just that simple, George. If Monacoach and I are saying this in a forum, just a few lines apart, imagine how many RVer's out there feel the same way. We are about to make our annual pilgrimage to Oregon to begin our Christmas shopping. A couple years ago, we arrived in Portland on Wednesday night before Thanksgiving. Wal-Mart after WM, shopping center after shopping center, there were signs and security telling us we could not overnight there. No problem, we just moved on down the freeway to more RV friendly areas. Our money is portable, but we like to leave it where it's appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #3208

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I appreciate money!

AND I tithe when I park at Wal*Mart!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #3209

Winnebago Owners Club
It has probably been mentioned before, but when the snowbirders leave states in the north like Michigan (after Thanksgiving)there are no campgrounds open (I think) until one gets into WVa (maby). I also think there is not much in the way of convienent places (to the interstates) to overnight at except places such as Walmart anyway.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 11-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #3210

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I don't see anything wrong with staying at a Walmart for those that choose to, it's just not for me. I've gone to 3 different Walmarts once each. I'm done. Have you ever seen the people who shop at Walmart OMG. Google some of the You Tube videos of Walmart People, I couldn't find one that could be posted here without violating a rule or two.

walmart people - Google Search
Old 11-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #3211

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
RV Travel - News, information & advice for RV enthusiasts
This survey by RV Travel found that 54% of respondents stayed in a Walmart parking lot.

Source Motorhome Madness
Old 11-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #3212

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I don't see anything wrong with staying at a Walmart for those that choose to, it's just not for me. I've gone to 3 different Walmarts once each. I'm done. Have you ever seen the people who shop at Walmart OMG. Google some of the You Tube videos of Walmart People, I couldn't find one that could be posted here without violating a rule or two.

walmart people - Google Search

Now be nice!
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
Old 11-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #3213

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
Now be nice!
Not trying to be mean.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #3214

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I'm at a Wal*Mart, I'm not there for the view. And I've never seen anything in Wal*Mart that I haven't seen in a thousand truck stops, much moreso hundreds of malls across America.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #3215

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To answer the following question:

"Have you ever seen the people who shop at Walmart OMG."

Yes, I sleep with one. And I see one every morning when I shave.

I have never had a bad experience at a Wal Mart. Shopping or sleeping. I've seen some Wamlartians who I wouldn't want to live near. They might be interesting (that nice speak for weird), but nothing scary. If i were ever frightened, I'd checkout my "next Exit", and move on down the road.
My worst experience finding a place to sleep was going 25 miles out of my way, driving on a one lane harrowing road for about 1 mile(praying that no one came the other way), parking on dirt, and paying $25 for 8 hours sleep and eating breakfast (cereal and milk).

since finding out about Wally docking, we drive until we are tired, look in our book to find an appropriate WM. Sometimes we spend nothing at WM. Sometimes we spend a little. But when we are at home, I will pass KMart and Target to go to WM. They have my loyalty.

My wife and I have android cell phones (NOT IPhones).
I'd appreciate it if someone could list apps, or books or we sites that list WMs that do and do not allow overnighting. Especially the ones that post sign because of greedy campground owners but don't enforce them.

Now before the righteous take issue with that statement, I don't dislike anybody trying to make money. Only those using the government to give them an advantage ie. passing a law outlawing your competitor's business model. THAT'S GREED. I read an article where a campgound owner said, " I went to the WM and truckstop and counter 14 RVs parked for free. That's $500 a night I am losing". That's greed. I have no obligation to give him $40 a night. So he wanted to get a law passed to make me give him $40 a night. That's greed.
I'll get off my soapbox now.
Jim
Old 11-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #3216

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
To answer the following question:

"Have you ever seen the people who shop at Walmart OMG."

Yes, I sleep with one. And I see one every morning when I shave.

Yep, me too!

I have never had a bad experience at a Wal Mart. Shopping or sleeping. I've seen some Wamlartians who I wouldn't want to live near. They might be interesting (that nice speak for weird), but nothing scary. If i were ever frightened, I'd checkout my "next Exit", and move on down the road.

Yep, me too!

<snip>
Now before the righteous take issue with that statement, I don't dislike anybody trying to make money. Only those using the government to give them an advantage ie. passing a law outlawing your competitor's business model. THAT'S GREED. I read an article where a campgound owner said, " I went to the WM and truckstop and counter 14 RVs parked for free. That's $500 a night I am losing". That's greed. I have no obligation to give him $40 a night. So he wanted to get a law passed to make me give him $40 a night. That's greed.
I'll get off my soapbox now.
Jim
No issues here, very well stated. As I have said here, many times, it's not about the money, it's about the convenience and freedom to make choices. If I'm going to spend a lenghthy time in any one spot, I might do it in a campground. But, mostly we just travel all day and find a spot for a night. We do not need campgrounds and amenities for that.

Thanks for your very well put reply.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #3217

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Didn't mean to offend.

I too would pull in to a parking lot (Walmart or similar) if I was too tired to continue safely. I am spoiled by FHUs and that is the only thing that prevents me from using Walmart parking.

Maybe I'll try another Walmart but will wait for one with RVs in the lot. The 3 I tried did not appear to have RV shoppers. You guys must be going to the higher end Walmarts.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #3218

Here's a thought. If there are no RVs at a WM, go ask the manager if it is ok and explain that most RVers will spend their $s at their store if they are permitted to "rest" there.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #3219

We found a Walmart with gorgeous mountain views, a mall with theater & many various shops & restaurants, WM had a substantial RV section. It was quieter at night than many RV resorts we've stayed at. Where we parked there were picnic tables for employees to enjoy, when asked, an associate said " You gotta grill? make yourself at home" We spent a lot of money there over 2 days.

This happened on a Memorial Day weekend a couple years ago when our plans for the weekend suddenly fell through leaving us nowhere to go. Being spontaneous, we decided to go Mt Airy, NC ( Mayberry ). No campground openings, we spent the night at WM & toured downtown the next morning. we decided to head back up I-81 closer to home hoping to find a CG with a space. No luck, as we passed by the I-66 split that would take us home, DW was pushing to do just that. I said no we still have a couple days left, lets try western Md. I knew of a few spots but alas, all full. With night approaching & road weary we pulled in to this WM in the middle of a major city for the night. As stated above, what a gorgeous view, every amenity & being welcome made for a very enjoyable weekend. We've been back a couple more times when the intended campgound could not accomodate us ( no reservations ).

It is in Cumberland, Md. Enjoy yourselves, spend some money, leave no trace. A warm, hospitable area. We have stayed in many campgrounds, at many WMs but this sticks in our memory.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #3220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshoe
Has anyone used the iPhone/iPad app for overnight stays at Wal-Mart? It shows them all and denotes the ones where you definitely can't stay.
What's it called? Wonder if there's a droid version?
Closed Thread

Tags
camping