Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #3795

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
There was a guide to camping at Wal-Mart. It might have been put out by Escapees. It lists what is expected and is just common sense. The point running thru it is to look like you are parking, not camping. It was followed pretty well for years, but I have seen more and more abuses as more people get into overnighting at Wal-Mart. Maybe someone will post the link. We followed it to the letter until slides came along. Sometimes now we put out the BR slide over a grassy patch. Jacks down on hot parking lot is a no brainer. As people abuse their hospitality, more and more managers have stopped the practice.
Oh, OK, gotcha. It's not a guide put out BY WM, just someones idea of how you're supposed to act when you've already made arrangements with the owner. [Moderator Edit] It's just someone trying to inject their personal opinion into a situation that does not concern them. They assume the principal parties don't have any common sense so they are just trying to "help."

On a more positive note, I visited your web site and it's quite impressive. You have been a lot of places and taken some great pictures. The site is easy to use and to follow your travels. I'm envious, for now, but intend to do something similar in the next few years. You've provided some great inspiriation and I appreciate that!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #3796
Moderator Emeritus

Phil--all too often, "common sense" is not common anymore. HAHA. Some people really do need to be told how to conduct themselves, even when parking at Walmart. Sad, but true.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #3797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post

I plan to stay in the Walmart parking lot in Gainesville this weekend ,I hope they have fresh rotisserie chicken.

Wayne
We always pick up one of those chickens when we spend a night at camp Wallyworld. We also pick up a lb of potato salad and other items. Speaking only for ourselves, we find Camp Wallyworld the best place to spend the night and the price is right. Why hunt down a CG at night in a strange place and spend up to $45 just to sleep?

Hey, maybe the CGs near the Interstates should set aside a place just for those who want to sleep, don't care about hookups and dumping the tanks and get some of that business? They can charge something like $10 for the night.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #3798

Escapees is a large organization of RVers and fulltimers They have a lot of helpful camping information on their site. It is mostly volunteer run although they now have several campground now. I think their suggestions come from a huge long term experience and a wealth of knowledge in the field.
Thanks for the nice comments on my website. My wife is the photographer in the family. It has turned out to be a great thing. We decided to go ahead and by a domain when we retired. Cost $12.95/month and the technology to create and update the site is pretty easy. We use a point and shoot digital camera and usually use about 1/3 of the photos she takes.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #3799

1% ers
Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #3800

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav5942 View Post
1% ers

Heck, WAY more than 1% of the population shops at Wally World.

Oh, you meant SLEEPS at Wally World.

I saw a very interesting man in what I think was a costume sleeping in the optical department once- I don't know if he asked for permission first.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #3801

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Hey, maybe the CGs near the Interstates should set aside a place just for those who want to sleep, don't care about hookups and dumping the tanks and get some of that business? They can charge something like $10 for the night.
Hey, that sounds familiar....
Old 02-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #3802

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The reason for not putting out the slides is to look like you are parking, not camping. Same reason for awnings, chairs, BBQ, ETC. This has been printed many times in the Wal-Mart camping guide.
WalMart has a camping guide?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #3803

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
The other CGs would probably find a way to legislate them out of business or prohibit it for some obscure reason.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #3804

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
WalMart has a camping guide?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/walma...ml#post1078423
Old 02-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #3805

The link below goes to the Escapee's boondocking etiquitte quide. You might have to be a member to view it. If so, I will past the info. It has been pasted around on the internet for a decade or more. Looks like there are several versions also as this doesn't mention slides and I have seen that.

http://www.escapees.com/edocs/boondocking%20letter.pdf
Old 02-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #3806

Monaco Owners Club
On yesterdays news Wal Mart is going to spend a lump of cash in Canada to upgrade some stores and build more new ones. This is in anticipation of Target coming into Canada. This means more places to Wallydock!!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #3807

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
The link below goes to the Escapee's boondocking etiquitte quide. You might have to be a member to view it. If so, I will past the info. It has been pasted around on the internet for a decade or more. Looks like there are several versions also as this doesn't mention slides and I have seen that.

http://www.escapees.com/edocs/boondocking%20letter.pdf

I do wish people would not mix Boondocking and Walmart in the same sentence.

Boondocking has absolutely nothing to do with staying in anyone's parking lot.

Boondocks means "Rough, remote, or isolated country", which in no way can be construed to mean anything remotely related to a Walmart parking lot.

So, please use the correct nomenclature, which is "wally-docking" or "Overnighting".

That spelling makes me want to send a polite letter to the escapees to correct their misnomer.....
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
Old 02-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #3808

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Boon docking is rough at wAlly World . I have to microwave the chicken to heat it up. Some WM are remotely located. There is no water or facilities, unless you go inside. Pretty boondocks to me. Where do you think wallydocking came from? Boon docking at wallyworld?
Closed Thread

Tags
camping