Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #4817
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Kind of an unkind description of us mere mortals to describe us as "schmos", don't you think?

It's kinda' sad that the guy driving such a nice, big "coach" feels that way about the rest of us that merely tow something with our trucks, but maybe that's the way it really is.

As a guy who habitually carries tools, knows how to use them, and has a fair knowledge of diesels, if I saw you broken on the side of the road, I'd likely stop to see if I could help.

Now I gotta' wonder if any kind of reciprocation would be even considered, and maybe I should just re-think the whole thing.

Peeved Pop

Don't I'd be there for you bro
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #4818

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
if I saw you broken on the side of the road, I'd likely stop to see if I could help.
In all seriousness if I were broke down and anyone stopped behind me who wasn't driving an RV or cop car I would be nervous and most likely call 911. Then I would get towed to the nearest Walmart and put out all my slides because this keeps me on topic...
Old 09-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #4819

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
You will blend right in at a truck stop. Flying J truck stops usually have an RV section away from the trucks. We usually run the genny as needed until bed time and then shut er down however if its hot and humid we will run it all night as needed to keep cool. That would not be a problem as everyone else would be doing the same.
Uh, not necessarily "everyone." I have seen many TTs and PUs in these lots that don't have generators. And even some of the Class As and Cs that do, shut them down around 11 PM or even earlier. Those with generators they plan to run all night should have consideration for those kept awake by loud irritating noise at night and park off by themselves.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #4820

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Sure they do, they probably wouldn't even know it was running with the noise of all the big rigs idling.
They almost all have a area for RVs and those areas are very quiet.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #4821

Quote:
Oh ya except for the poor shmos that dont have a genny, they would have there windows wide open gasping for a breeze.
If that were the case, everyone would be carting a generator around or spending the night in a campground.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #4822

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
Directly across the road there was a county fairground with a camp ground that offered free camping for 24 hours. I didn't want to be associated with the WM group so I drove over and found a really nice campground with 50 amp service, water and sewer, for free for the first 24 hours. I was amazed that anyone would prefer a parking lot to some place this nice.
This is a real rarity. If you think you're going to find a setup like this all across the country you will be bitterly disappointed. What amazes me is you even found one place like that.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #4823

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Uh, not necessarily "everyone." I have seen many TTs and PUs in these lots that don't have generators. And even some of the Class As and Cs that do, shut them down around 11 PM or even earlier. Those with generators they plan to run all night should have consideration for those kept awake by loud irritating noise at night and park off by themselves.
Pull into a Flying J in the middle of July in Florida or Phoenix after 11 and you will hear nothing but generators running. Yes there will be units without generators but trust me if you pull in late and start your generator no one will notice..... I did mention if its hot and humid.........perhaps you are comparing apples and oranges. maybe I should have stated extremely hot and humid or out west just bloody hot. This applies to Walmart to.....
Old 09-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #4824

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjammy View Post
Question; do truck stops allow over nite staying with a generator?
I drove for over 16 years, so I have spent many nights sleeping in truck stops. You can pretty run whatever you want in a truck stop or a Walmart as neither are campgrounds.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #4825

Quote:
Pull into a Flying J in the middle of July in Florida or Phoenix after 11 and you will hear nothing but generators running. Yes there will be units without generators but trust me if you pull in late and start your generator no one will notice..... I did mention if its hot and humid.........perhaps you are comparing apples and oranges. maybe I should have stated extremely hot and humid or out west just bloody hot. This applies to Walmart to.....
Maybe the ones that don't like a generator running after 11pm or earlier in hot and humid weather should find a campground and buy a site for the night. My understanding is that some has had the audacity to knock on someone's camper door at Walmart and ask them to shut down their genny because they didn't like the noise, And it wasn't Walmart Security.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #4826

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpeety View Post
Maybe the ones that don't like a generator running after 11pm or earlier in hot and humid weather should find a campground and buy a site for the night. My understanding is that some has had the audacity to knock on someone's camper door at Walmart and ask them to shut down their genny because they didn't like the noise, And it wasn't Walmart Security.
Exactly. I think the thought is lost on the fact that Walmart is a department store and not a quiet sanctuary for weary travelers.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #4827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrohorse View Post
Exactly. I think the thought is lost on the fact that Walmart is a department store and not a quiet sanctuary for weary travelers.

I could say more, here's hoping that they get the point.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #4828

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
They almost all have a area for RVs and those areas are very quiet.
No they're not. They're usually next to the pumps or between the entrance/exit and you have noisy traffic all night long that makes a lot more ruckus than my Onan generator. I don't know why you would have any expectation of quiet in truck stop. Most Walmarts are the same way. There might be a few that have little traffic at night where you could get away from the main store, but that usually puts you right next to the road the noise from it.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #4829
CD

We have stayed at Walmarts where after we were asleep the cars would go roaring past and come back and do it again. Probably teenagers but don't know.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #4830

Quote:
Apparently not everyone with a generator can stand the irritating noise themselves, because there have been quiet Class As and Cs on hot humid nights at these overnight stops.

Nothing wrong with running a generator as long as you have consideration for those who prefer or even need peace and quiet at night to sleep. And consideration for those with their windows open who don't care to smell the fumes from generators. Just park away from the others. Park with the other Class As and Cs where noise and exhaust fumes are not an issue for anyone else there.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping