Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #645

We love to stay at Wal-Mart when we are in a hurry going from point A to point B. Easy in Easy out, shopping and groceries right there, and usually a restaurant within a short walk. Thinking it is only for the money is just not thinking it thru.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #646

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro5 View Post
... We can understand a Jed Clampet 73 Winnie...
Gosh, I'm so glad we don't fall into THAT description. Our Class C is a 1977 Midas! I take it, based on that statement, you don't think much of older vintage RVs.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #647

Monaco Owners Club
I completely agree with Mudpuppy. I like to drive later in the eve when the traffic is lighter, and I really do not like pulling into a CG late at night. I hate not being able to see, not knowing the layout and wondering if i am going to hit a tree or having to unhook the toad cause there's no way out that way. WM is perfect for a few zzz, picking up the whatever you forgots, and then back on the road again in the AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #648

Monaco Owners Club
I will never pull into a campground after dark. Thats just asking for problems.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
We love to stay at Wal-Mart when we are in a hurry going from point A to point B. Easy in Easy out, shopping and groceries right there, and usually a restaurant within a short walk. Thinking it is only for the money is just not thinking it thru.
This is what we do and how we reason it. We are leaving on a trip from San Antonio to Indiana soon. I figure our first night will be somewhere between Texarkana and Little Rock. Looking up CGs, there are none that can accommodate us but there is a Walmart in Texarkana and Arkadelphia, both likely stopping points for us. And, that is where we will stay. It has nothing to do with CG fees. If we arrive around 7 pm and need to hit the road again at 7 am, we are self contained and don't need to spend the time with hookups, etc. And, there is no time to enjoy the amenities of an RV park anyway.

By the way, to the person who said it is an option as to whether you check in..... ALWAYS check in with the WM manager. I appreciate the privilege of being able to take advantage of their hospitality. Checking in and topping off our pantry is the least we can do.

Walmart On!!!!!!!

Don
Old 08-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #650

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
I will never pull into a campground after dark. Thats just asking for problems.
Well said georgetown350, for myself I have no intention of pulling into one during the daylight hours either. When I'm on the road it's Wally all the way to our destinations. Unless I can't find a proper dump-site, but again that hasn't happened to me yet. I plan them for along the way with the Wal Marts.
Cheers
Willey
Old 08-27-2010, 03:20 AM   #651

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
This is what we do and how we reason it. We are leaving on a trip from San Antonio to Indiana soon. I figure our first night will be somewhere between Texarkana and Little Rock. Looking up CGs, there are none that can accommodate us

Walmart On!!!!!!!
I got curious as we will also be going that way in a few months, so I looked in my 'Next Exit' book ,, can purchase one from Flying J's..
There is a Flying J at the 7 mm, I believe that is exit 3 ?? as you first go into Arkansas; A walmart Super center at mm30 exit, Hope, on the N side of fwy; TA truckstop at mm44, Prescott, north side ; walmart super ctr mm73, Arkadelphia, n side; cracker barrel, Arkadelphia RVPark at mm78, Caddo Valley N side; Rest area, mm93, located in the median so you would exit from left lane, full service rest area;
mm118 Browns Store, highly recommend, totally a super large Buffet with excellent food. easy to get to going westbound but since you will be going eastbound you will need to exit, follow feeder to get to other side, watch your signs as it will tell you how to get to them but can get confusing , semi trucks, MH, auto parking,, plenty of it;
Pick up I 430 at mm129, this will keep you out of downtown LR, dump you on I 40 mm 147 ( I 430 is 13 miles from A to B )
Hope this info is helpful to not only you but to whomever else may be traveling that route as it is hard to know where the Walmarts always are until the last minute.. and some u-turns are far apart.. done a bunch of them.
Have a safe enjoyable trip
Helen

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Old 08-27-2010, 05:30 AM   #652

Monaco Owners Club
I had a 27' winnie Cheiftan untill 1 years ago! Fond memories with it! As I said, nothing wrong with parking the night at Wallys. Just makes me think of a dude in a Tux in a soup line, to see a huge new Monaco! Still, we Have made the run to Florida so many times we know all the RV Campgrounds and the ones that own them! Thats why we hate to miss stopping! Yes, sometimes its early and we miss the usual stops, and we do the Po boy night at Wallys or better at Flying J.. I hold no hard feelings and as I said, we do it to in our older Dynasty 40... allegro5
Old 08-27-2010, 06:17 AM   #653

Monaco Owners Club
Keeping the Walmart thread going, from Ontario Canada. I also use Wallys for short stops, also it is a must in the winter when we travel south from Canada to Texas. Most times do not winterize for first couple of days, carry few supplies, makes crossing border easier. Stop for supplies at first Walmart in USA after crossing border. Makes it easier to fill up on staples when towing car.Once at our destination, we park at the RV parks. Also use the Flying J when we travel.
By the way I drive a Monaco.
Rebel
Old 08-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #654

OK, after reading 47 pages of wallmart posts ill add my thoughts. I purchased my 96 30ft Itasca class C to travel with the family in. For us, its about traveling in comfort with the kids and doing it on our schedule. Not a cg's check in and out schedule. We dont have slides, on purpose. For us the whole idea of having a motorhome was to be able to pull over when we get tired, and go to bed. Without having to look for and pay for a hotel. If we were going to hit cg's all the way from Colorado to Florida to go to Disney World, we might as well just drive the car and stay in hotels. I have caught a 4 hour nap in a rest area just south of Colorado on I25. Was it legal? I don't care. I was tired and realized I was the only vehicle on the road, so I pulled over and took a nap. Thats what they are there for and why they call them rest areas. It also occurs to me that rest areas are like a watering hole in the desert. Wait long enough and your prey will come to you. Thats why I take my small spring door loaded gun safe from my dresser and put it next to the bed in the MH when I am traveling. Again, is that legal in all states? I don't care, its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Would I stay in a wallmart parking lot to catch some sleep while traveling? Yup, I would pull over just about anywhere I could find where im not bothering anybody and its safe to do so. And just like getting pulled over, when the cop asks for my ID and I open my wallet the first thing he sees is my active duty military ID card. Ill explain why I stopped there and why I came to the decision to pull over in that spot to get some rest. A little common sense can go a long ways. And here is a pic I found of somebody who is either really stupid, or really brave. Im not sure which LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wallmart.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	5157  
Old 08-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #655

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
N1Rigger
Well said and you are right. Thats why RVs are self contained.
Rest areas that say NO OVERNIGHT PARKING are still rest areas. Some folks just might need more rest than others, whos to know. If they wake me up to tell me to move, I'll need more rest. I doubt that any law enforcment person would knowingly put an exhausted driver back on the road.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #656

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wal-Mart

Hi, new to site. We stay a Wal-Mart in the nice weather only as not to run the generator and use more gas then staying at a camp site. We like the 24 hr. stores as to use there bathrooms, restraunt get supplys etc. Also good axcess on and off the highway most of the time.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #657

Maybe they are just "testing" their new tent! Look at the logo on the tent... it's an OzarkTrail from WalMart...
Old 08-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
... I doubt that any law enforcment person would knowingly put an exhausted driver back on the road...
Think again! FL State Troopers told my Dad once that he couldn't sleep in a FL Turnpike rest area. He told them he was falling asleep while driving (he had run off the road a little and realized he had been dozing at the wheel). They told him that it was against the law to sleep in a FL rest area. Also told him that he could drive down the road until he found a hotel to stay in. "Resting does not mean sleeping" is what they told him.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping