Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
... OK, Ok, Lorna, I now agree with the WALMART Campers ! ...See y'all at Wally World !!!!
HAH! Another convert!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #814
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonK View Post
OK I'll add to it.....
Talked to a good friend ... he pulled into a WalMart in Az. A "greeter" was in the parking lot and directed him to a parking spot ... came to his side window, Welcomed him to WalMart, told him to have a good evening, stay a coupla days if he wanted, and asked if he needed directions to his next destination. ...
There are a couple of Walmarts along I-40 in AZ and NM where this is standard practice.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #815
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
We have been told to say as long as we want in every Sam's club parking lot we have parked in. And several of the Wal-Mart ones... by the MANAGER.
While accepted "blacktop boondocking" etiquette is to stay no more than one night in the lot at a Walmart or other retail store, there are many store managers who will readily grant or even offer a longer stay. A couple of those managers have told me that they do it for two reasons -- one is to keep a paying customer shopping for another day or two, and another is to give the RVers time to spend additional money at local tourist attractions, restaurants, etc.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #816

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by idenphones View Post
I have a confession to make.

The DW and I, left Canada headed for Florida. First night out we stayed at a Holiday Inn and I surfed the web to get caught up on all of the this that I have been missing, especially here.

The next day, we hit the road and I guess I was daydreaming as at the end of the day, I pulled into Wally World, parked, but could not get the slides to go out.

The DW finally asked me what I was doing, so I told her, opening the slides and then get the jack down.

She said, " Honey, that was a long drive but the Ford Edge does not have jacks or slides!"

Our coach was in Florida waiting for us! Sure was a long drive that day!
Thanks, after a really bad day I really really needed that laugh. Will have to pass that one on.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:30 AM   #817
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
0309 1830 0000 3610 3971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Thanks, after a really bad day I really really needed that laugh. Will have to pass that one on.
That was a good one. Had me going for a few seconds. Thought I might have to help him diagnose the problem!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
Old 11-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #818

Do you Wallyparkers stay at Walmarts that are "NOT" open 24 hours and if so do you feel safe after the store has closed and you are the only vehicle or two in the parking lot?
Old 11-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #819

We have. If you don't feel safe ANYWHERE, whether parking lot or campground, then you should move on. We have camped in campgrounds where we were the only ones there (I love winter camping). We spent 4 months in a campground in GA. We were usually the only ones there and we were 18 miles form town. I was usually there alone during the day. I never felt at risk. I have been in a rest stop during the day and felt very uncomfortable (I was not alone... that was why I was uncomfortable).
Old 11-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #820

We have stayed at many of both kinds. The 24 hour stores are becoming the norm. Even the non 24 hour stores if along a major road will have trucks overnighting in the lot and employees restocking in the store. Most also have signs saying that cameras watching the parking lot. I don't think anybody is watching the cameras, but they are on a loop where they can go back later if there is a problem.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #821

We are planning a trip which would have involved staying overnight at a town called Cordele in Georgia on the way to Florida but the Wally closes at 10 so we decided we would stop for dinner in Cordele then move down the road 100 miles to a Flying J. You guys are making me reconsider this idea.... maybe we will stay at Wally after all. Haven't called for permission yet so maybe Wally will take the decision out of our hands.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #822

We have stayed at the Wal-Mart in Perry, GA which is about 35 miles North of Cordelle, Ga. It is around 6 hours North of our house and a good sport to stop. We always ask permission and it is given. Usually 4 or 5 trucks there also. It is easy in and out and some gas stations nearby, so we fill up in the morning before hooking up. If I remember correctly, it is a non 24 hour store. Good Luck.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #823

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
We are beating this thing to death but gotta tell you all that we relish the WM stop over opportunity and will continue to utilize this service as long as it it avaliable. Each time we have stayed we were welcomed by the management and via thier hospitality they have captured us as everyday customers while at home in Oro Valley. Do not know how much annually we spend with them and Sams, but it is substantial and probably more than pays our share of the lights and parking lot space we use in our 15-20 nights per year in thier parking lots.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #824
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
We are planning a trip which would have involved staying overnight at a town called Cordele in Georgia ... maybe we will stay at Wally after all. Haven't called for permission yet so maybe Wally will take the decision out of our hands.
The two reports I have on this store, from Sept 2007 & Mar 2008, indicate that both times the reporting RVer asked and received permission to park overnight at this store.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:53 AM   #825
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
We are planning a trip which would have involved staying overnight at a town called Cordele in Georgia on the way to Florida but the Wally closes at 10 so we decided we would stop for dinner in Cordele then move down the road 100 miles to a Flying J. You guys are making me reconsider this idea.... maybe we will stay at Wally after all. Haven't called for permission yet so maybe Wally will take the decision out of our hands.
I have stayed at the Walmart in Cordele with no problems and there were several of us there.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:07 AM   #826

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
I was just looking at some of the applications that are available for my good friend, the iPhone and I found ONP Walmart.

This application tells you where the Walmarts are and if they allow parking in their lots.

It does seem to be somewhat accurate. For example the Walmart at Cagans Crossing in the Hwy 192 and Hwy 27 area, not too far from Mickey Mouse in Florida is posted in the lot as no overnight parking and the app agrees!

Unfortunately most mornings there are a couple of RV's in the lot on extended shopping trips. Guess they did not see the signs.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping