Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #1051

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many resort and destination areas have a room, tourist, luxury, etc tax or fee on hotels, motels, RV parks, and / or rental units. Some of these campgrounds pay a fee or percentage of the nightly charge to the local tax coffers. Why would a community receiving these funds allow overnighting at Walmart?
Many Walmarts are built on leased sites in shopping centers owned and maintained by others. Some of those owners don't want overnighting in their shopping centers for many reasons.
Residential neighbors to Walmart may not have been able to stop the building, but could have asked for restrictions to be attached banning overnight parking.
Maybe there were a few incidents where local communities saw the overnight stop overs being abused by a few and instituted the rule.
Last but not least when going for approval to build, local businesses and campgrounds may have protested and got some restrictions imposed at that time.

Reading posts here , no overnighting at WM is always caused by crying campground owners.
Guess I could have shortened this post to the final few lines.

George
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #1052

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Many resort and destination areas have a room, tourist, luxury, etc tax or fee on hotels, motels, RV parks, and / or rental units. Some of these campgrounds pay a fee or percentage of the nightly charge to the local tax coffers. Why would a community receiving these funds allow overnighting at Walmart?
Many Walmarts are built on leased sites in shopping centers owned and maintained by others. Some of those owners don't want overnighting in their shopping centers for many reasons.
Residential neighbors to Walmart may not have been able to stop the building, but could have asked for restrictions to be attached banning overnight parking.
Maybe there were a few incidents where local communities saw the overnight stop overs being abused by a few and instituted the rule.
Last but not least when going for approval to build, local businesses and campgrounds may have protested and got some restrictions imposed at that time.

Reading posts here , no overnighting at WM is always caused by crying campground owners.
Guess I could have shortened this post to the final few lines.

George
All of what you say might be true. We call ahead and or stop and ask if we can park. If the manager of the store says ok what else shoud we do. If the store is open 24 hrs. and there are no signs with time limits to park and shop we stay. We use Walmart for convience to the road we are traveling, shoping, restraunt in the store or around the area and walking around the store. Its on our way to a destination not our main trip location.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #1053

Amazing how people who don't use Wal-Mart's courtesy extended so we will buy our supplies and fuel there don't want anybody else to use it either.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #1054

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Amazing how people who don't use Wal-Mart's courtesy extended so we will buy our supplies and fuel there don't want anybody else to use it either.
I am confused.. I have not read a single post that says not to use them. It is a personal thing. We very rarely do not have a planned trip, and therfore our stops are planned and that means we want cable and internet even for a nite. If I was in a jam I would use Wally, we just choose not to.
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Old 01-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #1055

Quote:
I am confused.. I have not read a single post that says not to use them. It is a personal thing. We very rarely do not have a planned trip, and therfore our stops are planned and that means we want cable and internet even for a nite. If I was in a jam I would use Wally, we just choose not to.
Me is thinking someone has not read all 1054 posts
Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #1056
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
When was the last time you heard of a shooting at an RV campground? Google it, then do the same for Walmart. You should see a pattern.

I did, take your pick it's not only the bears that are doing the killings.

killing in campground - Google Search
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 01-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #1057

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
In answer to my question about CG owners, someone on the yahoogroup sent a letter to the local paper and another called the City Manager.. both confirmed it was local CG owners that pushed for the Ban (actually an enforcement of a ban already in place):

Lake City Reporter > News > NO CAMPING

Quote:
Enforcing a City of Lake City law for no recreational vehicle camping in commercial parking lots is an issue of fairness, said Cecil Shaw, owner of E-Z Stop RV Park.

“The only thing I ask is you be fair about it,” he said. “Enforce the law where RV park owners can make their money.”
So, no more E-Z Stop stops Also, according to the City Manager, another CG was also involved: In and Out RV park at I75 exit 427

Quote:
I spoke to the City Manager Today and He told me that it was two Park owners (In and Out RV park at I75 exit 427 386-752-1648 and E Z Stop RV Park at I75 exit 414 and the owners name is Cecil Shaw: Local Phone: 386-752-2279 Fax: 386-752-2279 E-mail:ez_stop@hotmail.com ) that complained and forced the enforcement of an old ordinance. The City Managers number is 386-719-5768. My friend and I used to buy fuel at the IN & Out but we told the owner about an hour ago that he has lost both of our fuel business and he new that I usally put between $200 and $300 per visit there. If all of us keep up the pressure they will fold because its only these two people and they did no it would get out, give them a call and let them know what you thank about this.
So...in a least this case, it was CG owners... However, lets not lose focus and forget about the crappy people who take advantage and trash the place...
Old 01-29-2011, 06:28 AM   #1058

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
rvdailyreport.com just this week had an article about how a Florida CG owner at a city council meeting was able to get an in place ban enforced.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #1059

If you read back this and other threads, you will see some no Wal-Marter's get very nasty about not wanting anybody to camp there. Doesn't make sense to me. I have noticed over the years, more and more truckers staying there too.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #1060

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lindsay Richards let's say staying not "camping".
Old 01-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #1061

You are correct.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #1062

I find the attitude that RVer's OWE it to the campground owners to stay in their campgrounds, interesting. If you stand by that attitude, then you must also OWE it to the restaurants to eat in their establishments rather than use the kitchens in your RV. And if you OWE it to the restaurants to not use your RV kitchen, then do you not also OWE it to the restaurants to eat out even when at home. How about the laundromats. You are harming their business by using your home, or RV, washer/dryer. What about the pet groomers? If you wash your pet yourself, you are deliberately damaging their business.

Where does it stop? And should it? After all if we OWE it to one group (campgrounds) then we OWE it to all.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #1063

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I have noticed over the years, more and more truckers staying there too.

So how will the NOP ordinance affect the truckers delivering merchandise to Walmarts, HD, Lowes, etc. I've seen on several occasions when trucks arrive at 10PM and can't unload until 7AM and the driver sleeps until time to unload. Are they suppose to drive around all night just to wait until 7AM? Ah, now I guess we get to the differences in OP and "camping".
Old 01-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #1064

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
There is a concerted effort in some provinces and states to get parking lot camping banned. In a newspaper article I read a while back the reporter stated he had been watching the Wally's World parking lot for two weeks and there were campers that were there the whole time.

It is a far cry from overnight stopping to month stays and that's the bone of contention. I stopped overnight at a Wally's World just to say it was done and that will be both times for me. First and last.

On the other side I have been in campgrounds in busy areas (Penticton BC during Peachfest) and have had to endure a crowded campground. Had a great time and all but it was really really crowded.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping