Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #1135

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
I have a suggestion that I feel is a good idea if you are parking at WM. I have placed high reflection safety stickers on the sides of my slides so they are very visible to any traffic passing through the parking lot. There is always some idiot that may clear the RV and not give any thought to the slides. Maybe it's over kill, but it makes me feel better. By the way, the slides are the same ones that I should not put out while at WM. I love my wife but I don't think she appreciates me crawling over her when the slides are in. LOL
If you ca not park next to curb to let the slide out then let your wife have bed and you sleep on couch after all your not camping just a few hours of rest to continue on! ( I guess or are you Camping?)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #1136
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There is always some idiot that may clear the RV and not give any thought to the slides. Maybe it's over kill, but it makes me feel better. By the way, the slides are the same ones that I should not put out while at WM. I love my wife but I don't think she appreciates me crawling over her when the slides are in. LOL
And this person would be an idiot because they weren't naturally looking for an RV with jacks down and slides extended while they were looking for a parking place to do their shopping?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #1137

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I have a suggestion that I feel is a good idea if you are parking at WM. I have placed high reflection safety stickers on the sides of my slides so they are very visible to any traffic passing through the parking lot. There is always some idiot that may clear the RV and not give any thought to the slides. Maybe it's over kill, but it makes me feel better. By the way, the slides are the same ones that I should not put out while at WM. I love my wife but I don't think she appreciates me crawling over her when the slides are in. LOL
If you are willing to open your slides to the traffic area of a parking lot then I personally don't think it's the shopping drivers intelligence that is in question. Maybe just open the awning on the traffic side and the cars can go underneath if they get to close.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #1138

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
If you are willing to open your slides to the traffic area of a parking lot then I personally don't think it's the shopping drivers intelligence that is in question. Maybe just open the awning on the traffic side and the cars can go underneath if they get to close.
Hopefully the cars won't hit the BBQ or the lounge chairs
Old 03-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #1139

Quote:
And this person would be an idiot because they weren't naturally looking for an RV with jacks down and slides extended while they were looking for a parking place to do their shopping?
Yes anyone who hits a parked vehicle in a parking lot can be considered an idiot or blind. You choose.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #1140

Yes and it happens all the time. Mashed in my wife's grill and hood once and didn't even stop. Keeping the slides protected is a great idea. If there is plenty if room park at the end longways and park your toad longways next to the slide.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:06 AM   #1141

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why the insults?

i simply stated that I do this for safety reasons. You do not always have the option of backing your slides to the edge of the pavement. As a construction engineer, safety is a strong concern in my daily life. I agree that it would take an idiot to hit a parked RV, but the world is full of them and they are breeding more as we speak. The stupid person is the one that stands looking at the damage to their unit and says well there goes the holiday, how do we get this repaired, the RV will never be the same. and then says OH S__T. I have been on major construction sites for 40 years and have worn a hard hat ever day. Never needed it, never got a major bump on the head, but sure glad we have safety programs.
The only stupid people I have met in referance to safety are the ones that don't embrace it. Thanks
Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #1142
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm more concerned with the idiots who know the slides are out and still run into them to try and collect money from the proprietor and rv owner.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #1143

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have stayed in a number of Walmart lots in fact we just returned from our first trip of the season and we did stay 1 night at Walmart. I have never personally stayed in one or even seen one that had a parking lot so crowded that I was worried about cars driving close to me. I usually park in an out of the way part of the lot. If I was worried about people driving into the side of my motorhoe I would be the most worried at an RV rally not a Walmart parking lot.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #1144

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five2o View Post
The asphalt would more readily deform from tires than the jacks with a 16" pad....but why let facts obscure a good discussion
After reading this thread for 2 hours I decided to call one of my buddies that is a Wal mart manager. I asked him about over night parking and this is what he told me:

Corporate Wal Mart leaves it up to the discretion of each store manager as to allow overnight parking or not if there are no local laws against it. He said this issue comes up at most regional meetings. He said he stopped allowing it because:

1: The RV people would park in front of the store blocking traffic or fire lanes or would park in the truck lanes so the trucks couldn't get to their dock to unload.

2: A usual morning included picking up a ton of trash from where the RV's stayed which cost WM time and $$.

3: The damage from jacks was getting out of hand. Here in Florida the blacktop can get almost back to tar in the summer and it doesn't take much to punch a hole in it. Cost for repairs were getting out of hand.

4: More than once someone dumped their waste tanks on the lot which needed a very costly clean up.

So, as usual some ruin it for all.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #1145

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
So, again, we have someone telling us that their Walmart quit allowing ONP due to bad RV'ers... And still some here think its 'funny' that we want to have some kind of 'rules' about doing so, or get offensive when asked next time you see them doing wrong, go say something...

Oh well, thats the way our country is now-a-days.... and how we got in the mess we're in...
Old 03-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #1146

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Oh well, thats the way our country is now-a-days.... and how we got in the mess we're in...
So it is true! It all started with Walmart ONP?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #1147

The problem I see is, who enforces said rules ?
common sense & courtesy clearly varies from person to person as can be seen in this thread. Personally I think if you are spending the night on a business parking lot , it should appear thAt your rv is just parked.... Not camped.
the only way I see for it to work is basically the way it is. If you see some slob leave a mess, pick it up before the manager sees it.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #1148

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
So it is true! It all started with Walmart ONP?
The whole thing....'tis a shame
Closed Thread

Tags
camping