Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2011, 05:36 AM   #1205

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
This guy has his slide & his awning out. Breaking all the WMP (Walmart police) Rules.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #1206

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonK View Post
Can someone tell me what has really been accomplished in 86 pages of posts AND more importantly, is this ever going to end!?!?
Sure I can! We have over 1200 post and Headed for 2000 and if you didn't help get there what would we do,besides this is Fun all kinds of reaction's! We just can't get Political or Religious,but I can't understand that cause that what we Vets fought for??????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:51 AM   #1207

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Can someone tell me what has really been accomplished in 86 pages of posts AND more importantly, is this ever going to end!?!?
First...No End in sight. Sorry just going to have to endure the pain.

What I have learned from this Thread.....I have learned from these 86 (now 87) pages that I shouldn't extend my slides , but if I do, I should be careful where I am parked, preferably at a curb. Do not lower my jacks unless the OAT is below 60'F. Don't leave my lawn chairs out unless I am sitting in it. (my assumption). Most importantly, watch out for the WMP RV'ers. If I see them approaching my RV, turn everything off inside & pretend there is no one home & be sure to stay an extra day. In all honesty here, I have picked up a few points to keep in mind when boondocking in a parking lot.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #1208

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If you don't like the thread, then just don't read it. Kind of like the shopping channel. I know its out there, but it is sure not for me, so I don't stop at it when surfing. Personally I am subscribed to this thread as I find it entertaining.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #1209

I think to sum it up most of us agree that the extreme wally docking offenders such as the ones that completely sprawl out .... barbecues with chairs spread out over half the parking lot, awnings spiked into the asphalt, sewer hose into the catch basing etc. etc. i think we all agree these people are strange and could be a problem for Walmart. I have never seen these extreme cases but that doesn't mean they don't exist. There are a few in this thread that are against anyone doing anything beyond parking your rig, turning the key off and going to sleep with out bumping a slide out. There are even a few who hate that we park at Walmart period. ( campground owners perhaps).

This thread is like reading a good book. Makes me sleepy. But there has been some good advice in the last few posts such as ( if you feel there is something you do not like about a FAMILY parking overnight at a Walmart parking lot >>> just tell the staff at Walmart and do not take matters into your hands. We all need to get along and after all we are just talking about Walmart boon docking not global warming.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #1210

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I agree with rebuke and CJ7ole - some useful, some entertaining, and if you don't like what is here, don't stop and shop. There are all types in our great country and we have the freedom to read or not read, post or not post because our forebears fought and died for our freedom of speech and freedom of assembly. I personally like this and other threads that seem to go on forever. What I don't like is when people generalize and try to lump everything and everyone into the same niche.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #1211

I started parking at Wal-Marts before slides. When they came into the picture the Escapes took the position in their good behavior rules at Wal-Mart not to extend slides becasue the whole idea was to look like you are parking, not camping. There were a lots fewer campers back then and people to seemed understand the concept of not abusing their kindness which extended from Sam Walton who was a big family camper and also realized that campers would spend more in his stores when camped there. I have watched the percentage of no camping Wal-Mart explode. There are several enemies of us parking overnight at Wal-Mart: campground owner, neighbors, over zealous city officials and the big one, selfish campers who obviously abuse the privilege which can come in many forms already discussed. If we all drove in, followed the rules and looked like we were just parking our number of allowable Wal-Marts would be much larger. We you park at Wal-Mart next time, please realize that you are representing all of us and your abuses do pile up and can lead to less and less being available. A few are ruining it for everybody.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #1212

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Has anyone seen the tents that are set up at the walmarts and other places of business. they are set up to sell items like fire works, car cleaning stuff etc. They anchor those tents with spikes into the asphalt. They pay Walmart to be there, I don't spike into the asphalt but beleive me DW pays Walmart for us to be there.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #1213

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I started parking at Wal-Marts before slides. When they came into the picture the Escapes took the position in their good behavior rules at Wal-Mart not to extend slides becasue the whole idea was to look like you are parking, not camping. There were a lots fewer campers back then and people to seemed understand the concept of not abusing their kindness which extended from Sam Walton who was a big family camper and also realized that campers would spend more in his stores when camped there. I have watched the percentage of no camping Wal-Mart explode. There are several enemies of us parking overnight at Wal-Mart: campground owner, neighbors, over zealous city officials and the big one, selfish campers who obviously abuse the privilege which can come in many forms already discussed. If we all drove in, followed the rules and looked like we were just parking our number of allowable Wal-Marts would be much larger. We you park at Wal-Mart next time, please realize that you are representing all of us and your abuses do pile up and can lead to less and less being available. A few are ruining it for everybody.
Now talk about "catching the meaning of it all !" Roving Ambassadors we are indeed.

Nothing beats courtesy ! Just asking where they would prefer you to park, doing no damage intentionally, leaving behind nothing but some cash in the register... these are the what will help us all have a WalMart Sanctuary for a break on our travels.

Amen !
Old 04-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If I were to see something I thought was wrong with the parking situation I felt any perceived need to take action about it that action would end with notifying Walmart staff the rest is up to them. Now if the situation was an assault or murder in progress that would call for a different reaction.

The simple truth in the matter is if you as an individual and a non employee thought I was doing something wrong because my slides were out, jacks were down, I had a lawn chair by my front door and nothing else was wrong and you told me to leave you in deed would have to call the police and from years of experience I think you would be in for a rude awakening when you explained your situation to them.

Every one has their opinion as to what is right or wrong on the subject and for the most part I won't change yours and you won't change mine, but I like seeing/hearing all sides of the story.
I am talking from the stand point of a Walmart employee. I'm not about to confront anyone.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #1215
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln30 View Post
I am talking from the stand point of a Walmart employee. I'm not about to confront anyone.
My misunderstanding
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 04-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #1216

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassalley52 View Post
............because our forebears fought and died for our freedom of speech and freedom of assembly. ...........
AMEN!!

There was a line in a movie that I really liked "...let's see you acknowledge a man who's words makes your blood boil, standing center stage advocating- at the top of his lungs- that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours."

I may not agree with everything that I read, in this thread, but it is interesting and you can read view-points that, maybe, you had never considered before. I simply take the wheat and leave the chaff. However everyone has their own, personal thought, of what that is for them. Something else that I like about this thread

I've not stayed, overnight, at WM but if I should, at least I know now how to go about doing it.

Sheila
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #1217

Thor Owners Club
I have worked at many large retail stores. As an employee you do not confront anyone. You report. If you are in a parking lot and you CONFRONT someone you are taking the chance of getting shot . Good luck with the confrontation. Like I've said before. We all learned this ( I hope) in kindergaten....Be Nice ....Report...Never confront. Oh by the way I love this thread....
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #1218

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I park overnight at WM or another welcoming venue on every trip that requires overnight travel and where I don't intend to stay for the day..

I would give up WM parking and would stay at a CG if they:
  • Were right off the main road with EZ on/off access,
  • Didn't care that I roll in at 10:30pm -1:00 am,
  • Had unlimited pull throughs so I dont have to unhook the TOAD,
  • Had all the gear and supplies I needed at bargain prices,
  • Were open 24/7/365.
  • Welcomed me with open arms!

Actually, I have overnight parked at many different venues (with management permission of course)
  • DOitBest Hardware,
  • Home Depot,
  • Lowes,
  • Cracker Barrel,
  • Albertsons,
  • Kroger,
  • Safeway,
  • and all sorts of little roadside 24hr gas stations, (SInclair, Checker, LoafnJug, Etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping