Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #1261

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by a10koaksfed View Post
WalMart missing an opportunity. They should sell an annual pass, $25.00, allowing one night stays in designated areas, where legally permitted. With the pass, they can provide a booklett/website that lists up to date addresses of participating WalMarts. Information can be provided as to acceptable behavior... ie jacks, slideouts, etc. Let's see, 10,000 rv'ers with a 25.00 pass, $250,000. Now throw in the appreciation and additional spending of the overnighters....
There you go! I love it and would happily pay it!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #1262
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Why would someone not want to stay in campgrounds?
I don't see paying full price for CG ammenities that I won't use when all I need is a parking spot to catch a few hours sleep between destinations. It's not that I can't afford it, it's the priciple of paying money for stuff I won't use. I'm all for staying at a CG when I'm there long enough to enjoy their campsites, pool, campstore, laundry...etc., but not when I arrive in the middle of the night only to leave just a few hours later once I'm rested. JMO.

Lori-
Old 04-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #1263

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
So.. If I had a CG with some pull through spots out front, no water, no elect, fenced and gated, that a RV'r could use for, say $10 for 8-10hrs, would people use it?

Basically a large grass and gravel parking lot, pull up, swipe a card, gate opens, pull through, sleep/eat/etc.. move on.. open 24 hrs. The $10 would pay maintenance and security.

Obviously, using the dump site or showers would be extra..
Old 04-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #1264
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
So.. If I had a CG with some pull through spots out front, no water, no elect, fenced and gated, that a RV'r could use for, say $10 for 8-10hrs, would people use it?

Basically a large grass and gravel parking lot, pull up, swipe a card, gate opens, pull through, sleep/eat/etc.. move on.. open 24 hrs. The $10 would pay maintenance and security.

Yep. I'd pay $10 for that. Sure beats what I'd pay for a pull through site at any campground & cost me a whole lot less than the $100+ I usually end up spending in the store for the "free" parking spot at WM.

Lori-
Old 04-14-2011, 11:40 PM   #1265

This should boggle your mind!! Andprobably scare you as well!

1. At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer, and most can't speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.

11. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur At a Wal-Mart store (Earth's population is approximately 6.5
billion)

12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

13. The value of product for Wal-Mart passing through the port of San Diego each year is a larger sum than 93% of ALL countries Gross National Product (GNP) .....and that is only ONE port
, one way - that ' s how Wal-Mart gets it's stuff.

14. Of the 1.6 million employees, only 1.2% make a living above the poverty level.

15. Wal-Mart's head office is located and centralized in Bentonville. Due to this fact, there are more millionaires per square mile there
than any place on Earth.

16. The official U.S. Government position is that Wal-Mart's prices are no lower than anyone else's when compared to a typical families weekly purchases. That's the view of the statisticians at the Bureau Of Labor Statistics (BLS) responsible for calculating the Consumer
Price Index (CPI).

17. 92% of everything Wal-Mart sells, comes from
China. Another 4% comes from Chinese owned companies in the U.S. or in 3rd world Countries.

18. Wal-Mart and MOST large companies, take out life insurance on it's employees, without their knowing. If an employee dies, ALL the insurance moneys go to the companies. i.e. An employee making $18,000 per year, dies, and the company might make as much as $1 million. Most often these moneys, coming from what is commonly referred to as "Dead Peasant Life Insurance Policies", is paid out to executives as bonuses. (A common practice, unknown by the average consumer).

19. Wal-Mart now averages a "profit" (not sales) of $36 billion per year.

20. Let Wal-Mart bail out Wall Street. If not, consider shopping someplace else
Old 04-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #1266

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Actually, the numbers are even bigger than said here: snopes.com: How Big Is Wal-Mart?

#18 is mostly bull.. there is insurance taken out though.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:42 AM   #1267

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post

Now if I could only find the funding and a piece of land near I-95 where people reconnect with I-95 South for those that avoid going through DC. It would have all of the above plus vending, coffee shop/deli open 24/7.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:09 AM   #1268

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
When I was a RV renter (customer who rents a camper) I always was told by the renting company to stay at campgrounds. It would be way to dangerous to just overnight "somewhere", even WM or other parking lots.

Reason: There are way to many "Americans" (People with guns) to rob or molest you.

Now that I have my own camper I still do not (dear not) use WM or other parking places (exept the parking lot at the dealer with its fence...).
Whenever possible I use State or Provincial parks. I meet lots of frendly people there.
I have ALWAYS a nice nature around me and lots of space around my camper.
And, even my little camper (half the size of most monsters) has all the nessesary things to live comfortly.

Every body has its own faforites and likes and to others dislikes, rule of life.
Gerard.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:42 AM   #1269

Thor Owners Club
One thing missing in this thread, well I didn't read all 2 million posts, is how we choose to travel. I do not, will not, push myself to drive into the night. Period. I would find it hard to believe that it is safe to drive your rig for more than 8 hours a day. This is my opinion only. But people like me who take each day on the road easy, cause I can, stop at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, get out a chair, chill, and rest for the next day. I might even get my computer out and rant on iRV2 . For those that choose or have to drive until 10 or 11 at night, Walmart is the place to go....Peace...D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Old 04-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #1270

Send a message via MSN to Pghwizard Send a message via Yahoo to Pghwizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I don't see paying full price for CG ammenities that I won't use when all I need is a parking spot to catch a few hours sleep between destinations. It's not that I can't afford it, it's the priciple of paying money for stuff I won't use. I'm all for staying at a CG when I'm there long enough to enjoy their campsites, pool, campstore, laundry...etc., but not when I arrive in the middle of the night only to leave just a few hours later once I'm rested. JMO.

Lori-

Totally agree and think that is the key, i also don't mind paying but just want to crash for a bit.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #1271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
One thing missing in this thread, well I didn't read all 2 million posts, is how we choose to travel. I do not, will not, push myself to drive into the night. Period. I would find it hard to believe that it is safe to drive your rig for more than 8 hours a day. This is my opinion only. But people like me who take each day on the road easy, cause I can, stop at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, get out a chair, chill, and rest for the next day. I might even get my computer out and rant on iRV2 . For those that choose or have to drive until 10 or 11 at night, Walmart is the place to go....Peace...D
Good post. The DW informed me on our first trip that we were on a "vacation" not in a race to get there. She schedules the stops and makes the reservations before every trip. (this way I don't get yelled at if it's not right). Driving 6 - 8 hours is enough for me and relaxing and finding new friends is a great way to go. Besides, if you push it into the night and you have MH problems it will be much harder to get help and more dangerous. If something does go wrong it's nice to know that there are places like Wal-Mart to get shelter but it isn't on my scheduled stops.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #1272

We almost never know where we will stop for the night when we leave in the morning. Too much of interesting America to run across. If we run across an interesting "meat and three" for lunch and then ask somebody what is interesting in the are, we might be there two day. Flexibility is our method.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #1273

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
We almost never know where we will stop for the night when we leave in the morning. Too much of interesting America to run across. If we run across an interesting "meat and three" for lunch and then ask somebody what is interesting in the are, we might be there two day. Flexibility is our method.
Yep, same way we are. Hardly ever have plans, just drive and see where we end up. Definitely couldn't deal with reservations.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #1274

Monaco Owners Club
Quick, someone call the Wally Police!

Nine strange Walmart parking lot photos - 1423.jpg

THIS just in...Wally Docking w/full hook-up pedestal...

http://www.liveworkdream.com/wp-cont...mart_02web.jpg

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
Closed Thread

Tags
camping