Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #4341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Yes. And a fairly good one, too, but not the greatest in the world by a long shot.

According to the FMCA and a dozen or so other RVing organizations, it's close enough that they believe RVers shouldn't set out lawn furniture when in an Overnight Parking situation.

I guess I'm on "Ignore".

Seriously, if I want to sit outside in the evening and have a beer, I have to sit on my steps, or maybe a milk crate?
In our town, drinking an alcoholic beverage in a public place could get you in trouble with the law. They can get you for public drunkenness. I really do not know how that works within the boundaries of a campground. So I would guess that even siting on your crate or door steps could get you in trouble if you are not within the boundaries of an acceptable area for drinking an adult beverage. Just my thinking.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #4342

It's private property. Just like your own front yard.

Did I ever say that I would do that? Huh? Huh? I just asked and a bunch of you cloud up and rain on me.

I guess by some peoples standards, If I adjusted tire pressures before leaving a Walmart, it would be considered maintenance and would be against the "Rules".

Old 06-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #4343
Commercial Member

Regardless of all the verbal jousting, the "what about this?" and "what about that?" games, and the smart-aleck remarks, there IS a widely accepted "code of conduct" for RVers who park at Walmarts and in other retail parking lots. Fortunately, the vast majority of RVers are mature and responsible people who abide by it.

Those who don't follow the accepted code of conduct continue to jeopardize the Overnight RV Parking privilege for all of us. Retail store managers, local residents and local governments react to what they see, and for the most point they don't see it through RVers' eyes. RVers who don't follow the code of conduct also provide ammunition to local campground owners, giving them the excuse they need to work for local laws which make it illegal to sleep in an RV anyplace that isn't a licensed RV park.

There will always be people for whom doing only what they want to do is the most important thing in their lives. To paraphrase Rhett Butler, "Frankly, my dear, they don't give a d*m" about you, or me, or anyone but themselves. There really isn't much that the rest of us can do about it, until and unless they decide they'd rather be responsible adults instead of acting like selfish three year olds.

The rest of us can only go about our business, and act responsibly, and hope that the selfish jerks haven't ticked off the manager of the Walmart where we'll want to park next week or next month.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #4344

You win.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #4345

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a thought, Walmart lots are usually not private property, but are quasi-public, which puts them under local law enforcement.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #4346

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe you can conduct a "workshop" with their outdoor living furniture at the same time. Remember, save the receipt for the return at the next walmart.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #4347

Also, I was told that if you drink in your front yard you can still be considered drunk in public, unless your front yard is fenced. Mine is.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #4348

What do these pseudo-rule enforcement clubs do with the vast majority of rv'ers that don't waste their time on these Forums learning all the rules? Do they have a badge or a vest with their name on it that makes them feel like they have a right to tell others how to act. Do they hand out rule printouts (-:

Jim
Old 06-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #4349

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
It's private property. Just like your own front yard.

Did I ever say that I would do that? Huh? Huh? I just asked and a bunch of you cloud up and rain on me.

I guess by some peoples standards, If I adjusted tire pressures before leaving a Walmart, it would be considered maintenance and would be against the "Rules".
Hey mister, be careful checking the tire pressures in the Walmart parking lot! Some of that air may leak and leave a stain on the pavement.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #4350

I have seen people in chairs next to their motorhomes in a parking lot... my first reaction was to laugh. Didn't cross my mind that they were taking advantage although I could see how it could be perceived that way if there wasn't ample parking.

The maintenance thing is a great point. You go in & buy oil... are you not allowed to put it in when thats what you bought it for?
Old 06-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #4351

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are on my property, then outside of any prevailing law, the only rules that matter are my rules. If I am on a Walmart lot, then the rules I intend to follow are those imposed by Walmart. I will be a good neighbor, clean up after myself, put some carts back in their corrals (just like I do anytime I go there), etc.

I understand that some folks believe that a couple of people sitting outside their RV might lead others to be disgusted by the "campers". However, maybe Walmart looks at it a different way. One of the main ways to cut down on crimes of vandalism, car break-ins, muggings, etc is when there are people out watching what is going on. Welcoming RVers to stay overnight in the parking lot is considered as a deterrent by some stores. Just like some convenience stores will give free coffee to cops or security guards just so thieves are never sure that they have a free hand to hit the place.

And just to reiterate, I am not saying that I always make my own rules, but I do insist that the rules I follow will come from the entity who has the right to set those rules.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
Old 06-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #4352

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand
I have seen people in chairs next to their motorhomes in a parking lot... my first reaction was to laugh. Didn't cross my mind that they were taking advantage although I could see how it could be perceived that way if there wasn't ample parking.

The maintenance thing is a great point. You go in & buy oil... are you not allowed to put it in when thats what you bought it for?
I believe putting it in is not an issue but Channing your oil in the parking lot would be. Besides you could just drive to autozone and they will help you change it.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #4353

All dependent on space available. Lots of room - slides out. Our little Honda gen is so quiet, it runs for short periods to pwr the TV
Ray
Old 06-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #4354

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a Walmart in Denver off Quebec and Smith Rd. which has been the home of 2 Motor homes for over a year. I see them parked at the edge of parking lot on a regular basis, but I haven't seen the awnings out or the grills heating up. I can't really believe there are people out there professing to know what is best for Wally Dockers to do. They are prolly the same types who would take over the HOAs so they can legally bully their neighbors. This is beyond common sense, why do we need Rules for overnighting at Walmart? Walmart doesn't post rules here. When they do it will be a relief, then all these "Know-Betters" will have to stuff it.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping