Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #4411
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I thought it was pretty funny that the customer service associate told me that it depends on what security guard was on duty.
I've experienced that same situation in one Walmart in a popular northern California tourist area. I travel through there several times a year. If a particular security guard is on "roving parking lot security" duty, he will give me permission to park overnight in an isolated corner of the lot. But a couple of times he's also added that I must be gone from the lot by 6 AM, when a different security guard comes on duty.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #4412

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobriant

I've experienced that same situation in one Walmart in a popular northern California tourist area. I travel through there several times a year. If a particular security guard is on "roving parking lot security" duty, he will give me permission to park overnight in an isolated corner of the lot. But a couple of times he's also added that I must be gone from the lot by 6 AM, when a different security guard comes on duty.
That's funny. I'm sure in the future there will be more security guards on a power trip. As for the 6am shift guy, I wonder if he's a jerk if an RV pulls in around 7am to go shopping for an hour or so
Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #4413

I think I would go ballistic if I pulled in to go shopping, parked in the back and an $8/hour "security" guard told my I can't park there. The "Real: manager would be hearing from me and I would think that the "guard" would be adding to the unemployment statistics.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #4414
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
That's funny. I'm sure in the future there will be more security guards on a power trip.
I don't know whether this is a "power trip" or just a situation where one guard is a "letter of the law" person and another looks at the issue as "shades of gray" rather than "black and white."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
As for the 6am shift guy, I wonder if he's a jerk if an RV pulls in around 7am to go shopping for an hour or so
I have no idea; I've never met him or her, because I departed the lot before 6 AM.

On other trips, when I didn't overnight there, I've shopped at this same Walmart, arriving in the RV during the daytime. I was only approached once by security, but it was the guy who had let me park there previously -- he recognized me and the RV and swung by in his little truck with the flashing yellow light to say "hello."
Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #4415

If you follow the instructions below then you should not have a problem parking "OVERNIGHT"! It is not a right to use a Walmart parking lot; it is a convenience that is allowed with permission.

Per the Walmart Q&A site.
"While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV".
Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #4416
Commercial Member

Quote:
I think I would go ballistic if I pulled in to go shopping, parked in the back and an $8/hour "security" guard told my I can't park there.
I'd be upset too, if that happened, but I'm not going to worry about it until and unless it actually does happen.

I do know of a couple of Walmarts that really don't want RVs in their lot at any time of day or night. One in Ohio has its parking lot prominently signed to that effect.

There are also a number of Walmarts with "low clearance" bars at the parking lot entrances -- but at these, RVs can usually come into the lot via the delivery truck entrance behind the store or on one side of the building. But there are also a couple of Walmarts where there is no way to drive from the truck entrance to the main parking lot, so the clearance bars serve to keep both trucks and RVs over a certain height out of the lot.

Quote:
... parked in the back ...
For the benefit of any new RVers reading this, or for anyone else not familiar with how the term "back of the lot" is often used ... I've had a lot of Walmart Store Managers and Customer Service Managers say that they give RVers permission to park overnight, but they must park "at the back of the lot." When they say "back of the lot" they mean what I was thinking of as the "far front end of the lot," farthest from the store and closest to the street running in front of the store. I found the term "back of the lot" confusing until I realized what they meant by it.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #4417

Kinda like the "back" 40.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #4418

Quote:
I think I would go ballistic if I pulled in to go shopping, parked in the back and an $8/hour "security" guard told my I can't park there. The "Real: manager would be hearing from me and I would think that the "guard" would be adding to the unemployment statistics
I will not let anyone evict me who makes less then 10 dollars per hour
Old 06-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #4419

What if that "security" guard, is the "real" manager!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #4420

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray ghost View Post
....I am not saying that I always make my own rules, but I do insist that the rules I follow will come from the entity who has the right to set those rules.
Hear Hear!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #4421

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I think I would go ballistic if I pulled in to go shopping, parked in the back and an $8/hour "security" guard told my I can't park there. The "Real: manager would be hearing from me and I would think that the "guard" would be adding to the unemployment statistics.
Doesn't matter how much the security person makes, it's his job. If the manager is any good he's laugh in your face and give the guard a pat on the back, in writing, is his folder.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #4422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Doesn't matter how much the security person makes, it's his job. If the manager is any good he's laugh in your face and give the guard a pat on the back, in writing, is his folder.
x2. He could be a bored retired guy who could buy and sell you, too.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #4423
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
He [the security guard] could be a bored retired guy who could buy and sell you, too.
Reminds me of a story:

A retired older gentleman was hired as a Walmart greeter. He was very good, except that he was habitually late for work. The Store Manager called him into his office. The manager said, "George, we love the way you interact with our customers, and we get great feedback from them about you. But you do need to be at work on time. What did they say at your last job when you came in late?"

George replied, "They said, 'Good morning, Admiral.'"
Old 06-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #4424

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobriant View Post
The Walmart website says there is no store in Kingston, MA. The closest is at 300 Colony Place Rd in neighboring Plymouth, MA. Is this the store where you parked? Or was there a store in Kingston which has since closed?

Thanks!
Kingston is a newer one and Plymouth has one and one closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping