Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #4579

[My first post]

I'm the new owner of a 1998 National Tropical. (Nothing like jumping into this with a 36' monster!) So far I've only done my driveway and a local camp ground (for a check out and clean the tanks run). I've mentioned to my son (10 years old) about people staying over night at Walmart. Anyway, on the way home from shopping at my local Walmart, we see a motor home pulling into Walmart and another one already parked there.... so my son asks me if we can come back later today with the coach and stay there overnight.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #4580

This would be a good time to check out your boon docking skills. Make sure you have a good battery setup. If you don't, then it isn't then it isn't the end of the world. Learn to conserve your power. Most RV's and RVers are not set up for boon docking right out of the box. Good Luck.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #4581

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tropical View Post
[My first post]
I've mentioned to my son (10 years old) about people staying over night at Walmart. Anyway, on the way home from shopping at my local Walmart, we see a motor home pulling into Walmart and another one already parked there.... so my son asks me if we can come back later today with the coach and stay there overnight.
Just remember, it is always best to check with the Manager or Customer Service desk and request permission to stay there. Some of the things to be careful about: don't put jacks down on asphalt w/o blocks underneath, no slides or awning out, remember this is a priviledge and they don't have to let campers stay there overnight.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Old 07-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #4582
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
[My first post]

so my son asks me if we can come back later today with the coach and stay there overnight.

So now make like Paul Harvey and tell us the rest of the story, did you do the over night stay for him?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 07-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #4583

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
[My first post]

I'm the new owner of a 1998 National Tropical. (Nothing like jumping into this with a 36' monster!) So far I've only done my driveway and a local camp ground (for a check out and clean the tanks run). I've mentioned to my son (10 years old) about people staying over night at Walmart. Anyway, on the way home from shopping at my local Walmart, we see a motor home pulling into Walmart and another one already parked there.... so my son asks me if we can come back later today with the coach and stay there overnight.
GREAT idea!1
Old 07-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #4584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already gone View Post
I'll add two more cents then we will have 6 cents

I have stop at Wallmarts more then a few time. We like to get gorceries there. We alway park along the outside of the lot, and only put out the sides that DO NOT GET IN SOMEONE WAY. As far as the genset, I run only when it is need. That is usually late in the evening with the parking lot is empty.

Of corse, if you go in side and ask, so much the better. If everyone did what we do, it would make it better for everyone.

Bob & Mary Ann
Jada & cocnut our two kids(dogs)
+1 here.

Nailed it. The parking lots ARE "Private Property," asking is a reasonable thing to do. Will you get 'refused?' Probably not unless there a local ordinances that prohibit the practice.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #4585

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR

So now make like Paul Harvey and tell us the rest of the story, did you do the over night stay for him?
I didn't, mostly because he is going away today to an overnight camp and we had to get ready for that. I am planning a few day getaway when he's back, and will try to include a Walmart for him.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #4586

We have never spent the night at a Wal-Mart (we usually pick truck stops if we don't find a campground in time because we really like our air conditioning, and in a truck stop we don't feel quite so guilty about any noise we are adding to the night by running the generator). That being said we HAVE, in our travels, pulled in to quite a few Wal-Marts to fix lunch, do a little shopping or just to be off the road for a few minutes. We have found many that not only don't mind the RV'ers in their lots, they have special areas just for them. One even had a big additional lot just for us! It was the farthest from the store and was sectioned apart from the main lot by wide grassy curbs, with its own entrance and exit lanes; everything was nicely spread out, too, so the bigger rigs would have plenty of room to maneuver. We were there late afternoon, saw only one other rig and it was not near any particular 'destination' (my memory says possibly Southern Missouri?). It was very nice, though, and we didn't mind the longer walk in for supplies since we'd been sitting all day, anyway!

The Wal-Mart near where we live almost always has one or two RV's parked in it, overnight, through the summer....plus truckers, too. All of them park over to the Northern end of the lot (ours isn't what I would call huge) away from the main lanes in and out. I don't think I have ever seen anything (from RV or trucker) that was a violation of the RV etiquette for such places.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl

California.. Make rules, sell exemptions to it. Make new rules, sell new exemptions..
...I'm sorry! I should've been more specific...the Wal Mart in Temecula has signs posted throughout the parking lot that state "no RV parking overnight", claiming private property.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #4588

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tropical
[My first post]

...that's too funny! My 8 year old always asks me the same thing. As far as jumping in for the first time with a 36 footer, it's like we say at home "go big or go home!"
Old 07-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #4589

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRV
We have never spent the night at a Wal-Mart (we usually pick truck stops if we don't find a campground in time because we really like our air conditioning, and in a truck stop we don't feel quite so guilty about any noise we are adding to the night by running the generator). That being said we HAVE, in our travels, pulled in to quite a few Wal-Marts to fix lunch, do a little shopping or just to be off the road for a few minutes. We have found many that not only don't mind the RV'ers in their lots, they have special areas just for them. One even had a big additional lot just for us! It was the farthest from the store and was sectioned apart from the main lot by wide grassy curbs, with its own entrance and exit lanes; everything was nicely spread out, too, so the bigger rigs would have plenty of room to maneuver. We were there late afternoon, saw only one other rig and it was not near any particular 'destination' (my memory says possibly Southern Missouri?). It was very nice, though, and we didn't mind the longer walk in for supplies since we'd been sitting all day, anyway!

The Wal-Mart near where we live almost always has one or two RV's parked in it, overnight, through the summer....plus truckers, too. All of them park over to the Northern end of the lot (ours isn't what I would call huge) away from the main lanes in and out. I don't think I have ever seen anything (from RV or trucker) that was a violation of the RV etiquette for such places.
...they REALLY don't mind!!! In fact, Wal Mart sells a road atlas that indicates where their stores are located, why do you suppose that is?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #4590

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbustoo View Post
...I'm sorry! I should've been more specific...the Wal Mart in Temecula has signs posted throughout the parking lot that state "no RV parking overnight", claiming private property.
Was replying to Mr. Blanche's post..
Old 07-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #4591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbustoo

...they REALLY don't mind!!! In fact, Wal Mart sells a road atlas that indicates where their stores are located, why do you suppose that is?
...so, I had to look this up on the Internet because I thought I had read it somewhere! Sam Walton (founder of Wal Mart), was an RV'er himself. It is corporate policy that RV'ers can stay overnight (1) at Wal Mart parking lots, but some people are abusing that privilege, and ruining it for the rest of us. Policy states no awnings, BBQ grills, noise, and clean up when you leave.

It's not cute to set up camp for more than one night. Pass this along to those leeches that want to camp for free and will ruin this great PRIVILEGE that Mr. Walton instituted to help out his fellow RV'ers.
*Information obtained from "FreeCampgrounds.com"
Old 07-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #4592

We haven't used a Walmart lot for an overnight, but I agree they could decide not to allow it anywhere if users abuse the privilege. It might not be an accurate comparison, but I used to get old carrots and apples for my critters and that was ended. A manager told me some group they gave expired or dated products to sued. If he was right, then it only takes one bad experience for corporate to act.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping