Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #4649

Wow, I didn't realize I was talking to somebody representing most Americans. I will try to show you more respect. Sorry, I have never done that before. Congradulations on your position. I keep saying we can all do whatever you wish. When I go to a football game, I notice that most people go up the aisle with the up arrow. Some will sneak around and get ahead by going up the down arrow. Gives them a little advantage and pushes everybody else back one. Same thing in line for a hot dog, Some cut in. For many, many years, the standards of condut for Wal-Mart were well established and pretty much universally followed. Sam Walton was an avid camper. He loved RVers. As we get further away from that and as we get more and more new folks into RVing, we start losing this code that has worked so well and kept the overnighting alive. Sad to see people disrespecting this log standing code. Parking in a circle, awnings out, BBQing, and the rest is disrespecting the long stnding codes of conduct. Everybody is free to do it. Your choice. I try to point out that with just a little effort, we can all do our part to help keep this great deal we have. I might point out that in all of my and my wife's getting permission to overnight, we have never talked with a local manager. They are running a mulitmillion dollar business and don't take time to talk to campers. You will ocassionaly talk to a shift manger who is an RVer and wants to talk about RVing. Wal-Mart's stated policy is for the location manager to decide whether or not to allow overnighting if allowed by local zoning. If he hears several stories about awning, BBQ's, drinking, ETC, he can pull the permission right then. The long standing "rules" were set up to look like parking rather than camping. The attitute that I'll put out my *** awning if I want to will probaly not geet that store shut down the first time or maybe not, but it might at some point. The city councilman who sees it for the umpteenth time might bring it up wiht the city. Your right to set your own policy, but it is my right to point out that it might be the straw that brought the camels back. Enjoy your BBQ, they probably won't stop their great polciy until after you leave tomorrow anyway.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #4650

Lindsay, for the most part, I agree with you; don't abuse the privilege. We don't need to be preached to.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #4651

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Lindsay, for the most part, I agree with you; don't abuse the privilege. We don't need to be preached to.
Amen!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 08-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #4652
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's a though while the rules/suggestions for parking at Walmart are within the Walmart Parking scope, since we seem to be getting so deep into it why not start it's own thread about the subject?

I'd be more than happy to move some of these posts into that thread if needed.

As usual if any head butting is required use the PM system and even then keep it civil.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 08-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #4653

I'm done and enough has been said to get the point across... many times.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #4654

I have just been defending myself and the policy when others keep advocating not following. I do this about every three months on this thread. I know most folks do the right thing. I'll just let them get the last word and they will be happy. Have at it.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #4655

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Actually, several year ago there was a lot of talk about a new technology called WiMax that was supposed to go up to 30 miles (60 mile diameter) and the talk was that Wal-Mart was going to be putting a tower on the roof of every store. Over 90% of the people in America live within 30 miles of a Wal-Mart and they would own the market. Nothing ever happened, but it would have been nice. I think cell phone technology will improve and make WiFi obsolete at some point.
It, 4g or 3G I phone coupled with Verizon offers a "hotspot" that you simply change the setting and viola' your lap top or I pad picks up and your on. Using the system now! Super fast cost, $ 50.00 monthly. We have eliminated all modems in the house and coach. Works great, check with Verizon, AT&T cellular data was very spotty dumped it.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #4656

Years back "some" motels made room in their lots out back and away from cars for several RV's to park. There was not charge you just had to inform the front office you were "out back" Best Western was one and if memory serves me right Knights Inn was the other. Their idea was perhaps at some point you would in the future spend the night in their Motels and it was just good business. I do know their are motels on I-75 in Georgia that have RV parking and elect and water but nothing else and the fee is under $10.00 I am confident that Wal Marts business plan has no problem with RV's parking over night knowing full well that all will, or have shopped at Wall Mart.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #4657

I'm willing to bet they were more motivated by the 'free nightwatchman' than the prospect you'd spend your money.

There's a marina near me that let's folks overnight in their RV but not during high season, only the shoulder season. It gets them fishing folks before & after the peak season, and free security, win-win.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #4658
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a quick heads up to everyone this thread will not be closed in the foreseeable future, nor will the continual off topic and dribble type posts be allowed. This is not the Thread Killer thread where such dribble has been allowed to continue to give those who feel they need such an outlet to vent.

Many posts have been deleted in this thread without courtesy explanations or warnings issued for continual breaking of our Community Rules this procedure will be coming to and end as of this time.

Member participation will be limited before this thread is closed by the actions of a hand full.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 08-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #4659

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapPappy View Post
I've stayed at Walmart...but asked permission from the Manager...of course, having a shopping cart full of stuff might have helped! She told me where we could park, without bothering anyone, and it also allowed us to have a quite night too...being away from the traffic.

I would run the genset, if needed, but would keep the slide "IN", though I realize that some RVs almost have to put out the slide, to be able to get around the bed and such. I wouldn't put out the awning or the chairs and grill either. Hey, it's a place to rest, not vacation! And I for one am very thankful that they allow us to stay the night.

Some places have local ordinances that won't allow overnight parking, whether it be Walmart or on the side of the street. Often, the Walmart parking lot is not owned by Walmart, but by an separate company, and they set the rules.....they will usually post signs!

If everyone would just try and leave the places nicer than you found them, and not "step on toes" of other people or businesses, we might find that we are welcome in more places. I know many people who walk around Walmart parking lots, picking up trash, as a way of "paying" for the use of the place for the night. A very nice way to do things!
We cannot agree more with your line of thought. We do the same thing (ie: ask at the desk, shop everytime we stop, keep slides in) and appreciate Walmart overnight rests (not camping) very much.

Maybe we should ask Corporate Walmart to comment on this tread and stop assuming what they allow and what they'd prefer us to do!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #4660

John RR is being very patient. We're not much on parking lot nights but would like the option if needed. I'd hate to see Walmart itself brought into this discussion. They clearly are operating on as few employees as possible, having done away with greeters, and sometimes the only clerks you can find are manning the cash registers. The less of their people's time we take up, the better. I'd suggest the less of a nuisance RVers are at the corporate level, the longer the company will allow us the privilege.

As for the vitriol, lighten up, people. We're not discussing a life changing matter here. It's a parking lot for cripes sake!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #4661

I like Walmart and appreciate this thread.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #4662

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyka View Post
We cannot agree more with your line of thought. We do the same thing (ie: ask at the desk, shop everytime we stop, keep slides in) and appreciate Walmart overnight rests (not camping) very much.

Maybe we should ask Corporate Walmart to comment on this tread and stop assuming what they allow and what they'd prefer us to do!

Good question, but they won't ... assuming a brain in someone's head.

As it 'works, it ain't busted,' why try to fix something that 99% of the time doesn't exist? As a problem, 1%?

Two trips to the major Wally-World this PM. Purchased all but two things on my 'mental list.' CRAP, AND BACK I GO. Doggies are giving me a 'what the hell look as I put them back in a AC'ed home.

Walk back in the door and one of the checkers looks over and waves: "What did you forget?"

"Don't ask!"

She laughed and asked 'What did you forget and need someone will help you find it.'

Yup.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping