Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #4719

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleamarketer View Post
Bottom line is is not a camp grounds and you guys that are using it is doing so as a favor from the store's management.Try to do the same thing at a mall.Yepper.That's not going to happen.
Actually, I'm pretty sure ole' Sam, a clever old fart, wouldn't have missed the fact that free night security in the form of fellow RV'ers wasn't such a bad thing either.

I've seen scads of plazas and malls that not only allow it, they have a designated area and encourage it.

There's at least 10 within an hours drive of my house where I see them parked all the time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #4720

Tiffin Owners Club
We are on a trip that is taking us through the Midwest. We are thankful to Walmart as we did use one of their parking lots for a 5 hour sleep time while going through Tupelo, MS. There was one other RV in our party, an RV that was already parked there when we got there and two 18 wheelers all doing the same thing. By 6 am everyone had cleared out. I have been following this thread and I wanted to inform you that some Walmarts in this region have already started to block off their entrances with low clearance posts. The low clearance posts are clearly telling us that RV's are no longer welcomed. The only high entrances in these two Walmarts were for their delivery docks and there is no parking space there. Any trucks delivering and sleeping would have to do so backed up to the dock.

I hate to say it but this might be Walmart's defense to abusive use of their parking lots.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #4721

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCOMVEE View Post
<snip> I have been following this thread and I wanted to inform you that some Walmarts in this region have already started to block off their entrances with low clearance posts. The low clearance posts are clearly telling us that RV's are no longer welcomed. The only high entrances in these two Walmarts were for their delivery docks and there is no parking space there. Any trucks delivering and sleeping would have to do so backed up to the dock.

I hate to say it but this might be Walmart's defense to abusive use of their parking lots.
It may be that local ordinance requires retailers and other owners of large parking areas to put up the clearance posts. WM generally wants to offer their parking lots to overnighters, per their official policy listed elsewhere in this thread and on their web site. I have stayed overnight at many WM's and never have seen the abuse you speak of, though I have read a lot of posts that say the abuse exists. Just never seen it with my own eyes. Have you?
Old 08-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #4722

It's been said a thousand times before, local ordinances govern the overnight parking issue. Developmental Standards are designed to promote planned and orderly development in particular zoning classifications. If the standards say overnight parking is prohibited, it's not up to a night manager's or a corporate policy's discretion to decide if they're going to allow it or not, that decision was made when the developer agreed to the terms of the original building permit. The property tax abatement 'carrot' that any new business insists on before turning dirt is also the local government's 'stick' to assure the businesses play by the rules. Every locality is different, and some don't even address the issue leaving it up to the individual business, others are very comprehensive down to the last detail.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #4723

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
[QUOTE=BFlinn181;1271685] "...the condition of that strip of terrain, it was well rutted by heavy trucks, doubtful if it was part of the WM lot as they have curbs/well defined boundrys..."

Not necessarily true. I operate over 50 free standing restaurants and I can attest to the fact that we design each parking lot with turn radius to....well... drive a truck through. We curb and cutter each island and the trucks still run over them damaging irrigation, curbing and of course, the trees, shrubs and sod that is planted. We are talking upwards of 2 acre lots.

So ruts in the ground do not denote not kept areas.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #4724

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Well quite true, as I stated I have no idea of the ownership of the property, There was no curb between it and the paved WM driving lane area, the trucks could have travelled on the pavement if they wished. It could just as well belonged o a developer or the municipality. A lot of WM Stores (and others as well) are leased on long time contracts. The area in question, as stated in my post was not a maintained area. Was good hay for the horses.
Cheers
Willey
Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #4725

[QUOTE=Chickenman;1272784]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
"...the condition of that strip of terrain, it was well rutted by heavy trucks, doubtful if it was part of the WM lot as they have curbs/well defined boundrys..."

Not necessarily true. I operate over 50 free standing restaurants and I can attest to the fact that we design each parking lot with turn radius to....well... drive a truck through. We curb and cutter each island and the trucks still run over them damaging irrigation, curbing and of course, the trees, shrubs and sod that is planted. We are talking upwards of 2 acre lots.

I wish that was universally true...That the layouts were designed for the trucks ..That have to make deliveries...That that very business depends on to operate ....however there many businesses that do not have adequate radius for the trucks to get in and out nor enough space between islands for the trucks to turn....

One example is the Home Depot in Panama City FL....The trucks cannot get in and out of the entrance without running over the curbs....The radius is just too tight.....Another example was the new and modern Scotty's ...(now long gone)...in Palatka.....Big sweeping entrance and exit just for the trucks....with no cars parked anywhere near....But no clearance for the fork trucks....You had to move the truck up and back for each lift....Probably eight or more trucks a day every day....
Old 08-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #4726

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just to bring it back to Wal-Mart parking.
Here is a pic of my RV parked at a Wal-Mart in Regina Saskatchewan
Yes I did go in and asked permission.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3652146050.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	24655
Old 08-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #4727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg
Just to bring it back to Wal-Mart parking.
Here is a pic of my RV parked at a Wal-Mart in Regina Saskatchewan
Yes I did go in and asked permission.
Nice Freelander! I love mine!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #4728

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino78

Nice Freelander! I love mine!
Thank you. We really enjoy ours too!!
Old 08-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #4729
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpeety

So where do we park? Is there not anywhere we are safe?
A campground ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #4730

We are staying at our first Walmart parking lot tonight. We are the only ones camped here. The store manager okayed our stay and told us where to park...under a lamp and security camera. Paranoia evidently runs deep in America. First night in the last 43 that I haven't had to get my credit card out.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #4731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
We are staying at our first Walmart parking lot tonight. We are the only ones camped here. The store manager okayed our stay and told us where to park...under a lamp and security camera. Paranoia evidently runs deep in America. First night in the last 43 that I haven't had to get my credit card out.
You will be just fine. The paranoid ones are the same that sit at home with all the shades drawn shut and give support to each other with the saying " Ain't Skeered".

Enjoy your stay......
Old 08-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #4732

Damon Owners Club
I travel mostly by myself and have stayed at over 50 Walmarts over the years, maybe more.
I have never had a problem on the lots. I look at the area and only once went to another location.
No one has ever bothered me.
Campgrounds don't offer what I need when traveling to a destination - a quick place to sleep, in late and out early and food or supplies as needed.
That you Sam!
Closed Thread

Tags
camping