Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #4789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
By doing that, walmart would technically be a campground.
Cabela's has a dump station. Not sure about reservations, but I doubt it.
I think an argument could be made that Walmart, by allowing overnight camping, is a CG of sorts. Look how many RV related sites list Walmart as a place to stay.
A room full of lawyers would have to come to an agreement as to what constitutes a campground. Obviously utilities are not needed as many tent sites have no hookups.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #4790

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
There were Motorhomes Parked In the car slotts taking up as many as 6 spaces Per RV, They were setting beside there rig with a table set up A cooler under the table A jar of nuts on the table. Awning out, dogs all over the place,, They were having a great time.... IF I were the Maneger I would have Kicked them out
Questions ... How does a Motorhome not use up 6 spaces in a parking lot? what kind of nuts were on that table? What bothers you the most about this scene? the awning? the nuts? table? would be interesting if you rank your pet peeves starting with the worst.....
Old 08-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #4791
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Questions ... How does a Motorhome not use up 6 spaces in a parking lot? what kind of nuts were on that table? What bothers you the most about this scene? the awning? the nuts? table? would be interesting if you rank your pet peeves starting with the worst.....
No actually that would be I hope that's enough said and we can leave it at that.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 08-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #4792

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I'm down at the Jersey shore at Capemay.
I had to go to walmarts and notice 5 MH park at walmart.
I do not agree with this but they had there slides out and few even had there awning out. I think they got here early probably a day sooner and waiting to get in to there campground.
I have stayed in a walmarts but did not put out the slides and well did not camp there.
O well just my two cents
Jim
I apologize for going off topic....... I quoted the first post as a reminder. Slides out and even a few had awnings out. So basically this thread is mostly about weather we should put our slides out while Wally docking.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:38 AM   #4793

Ref: Dunner
I owned a Texaco service station a long time ago. One morning I arrived to open and noticed an RV parked next to my building. After a few minutes I noticed their dump hose stuck in my gas supply holes in the ground. I woke them up and demanded they leave. Was upset then but now it is funny.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 AM   #4794

I'm new to all this. We recently sold our truck/fifth wheel and bought a motor home. I never stayed in a WM parking lot w/ the fifth wheel but I left the MH dealer later at night and had a 2,200 mile drive ahead of me. I did stay in a WM parking lot the first night I owned the new motor home. I also spent around $ 400 there on bedding and other items.

On my drive home I stopped at another WM off the highway to buy groceries.There were 2 campers there with slides out and chairs and a barbeque outside the RVs. Directly across the road there was a county fairground with a camp ground that offered free camping for 24 hours. I didn't want to be associated with the WM group so I drove over and found a really nice campground with 50 amp service, water and sewer, for free for the first 24 hours. I was amazed that anyone would prefer a parking lot to some place this nice.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #4795

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
I'm new to all this. We recently sold our truck/fifth wheel and bought a motor home. I never stayed in a WM parking lot w/ the fifth wheel but I left the MH dealer later at night and had a 2,200 mile drive ahead of me. I did stay in a WM parking lot the first night I owned the new motor home. I also spent around $ 400 there on bedding and other items.

On my drive home I stopped at another WM off the highway to buy groceries.There were 2 campers there with slides out and chairs and a barbeque outside the RVs. Directly across the road there was a county fairground with a camp ground that offered free camping for 24 hours. I didn't want to be associated with the WM group so I drove over and found a really nice campground with 50 amp service, water and sewer, for free for the first 24 hours. I was amazed that anyone would prefer a parking lot to some place this nice.
Just a thought, maybe they planned to extend their vacation beyone 24 hours.

"Happy Coaching" .. I mean "Camping".
Old 08-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #4796

Good Sam members are told that Walmart allows them to stay over night in Walmart and Sam's Club lots for up to 2 nights at any location unless sugns are posted stating different. Some towns have "no sleeping in vehicle" ordinances. Walmart wants the business and RV owners shop so its a fair exchange. I've only stayed while enroute to a destination and needed a quick nap. But it is very convenient and I always go in to buy something, even if only a cup of coffee. Walmart in Shanendoah Valley gave us free coffee BECAUSE we stayed in their lot. Go figure. ???
Old 08-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #4797

I remember that also, but now it is free without even a sign in sheet at least at the ones I have used. They are a combination of private owned and corporate units, so it can vary.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #4798

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjc View Post
Good Sam members are told that Walmart allows them to stay over night in Walmart and Sam's Club lots for up to 2 nights at any location unless sugns are posted stating different. Some towns have "no sleeping in vehicle" ordinances. Walmart wants the business and RV owners shop so its a fair exchange. I've only stayed while enroute to a destination and needed a quick nap. But it is very convenient and I always go in to buy something, even if only a cup of coffee. Walmart in Shanendoah Valley gave us free coffee BECAUSE we stayed in their lot. Go figure. ???
That use to be common place.. free coffee and donuts to those who stayed overnight.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #4799

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I was amazed that anyone would prefer a parking lot to some place this nice.
Maybe they were thinking of convenience and did not need the hookups..... its not always about the money ..... ( with me its both convenience and the money). Having said that, I would probably choose the free campground but only if arriving during daylight hours.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #4800

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I don't think Walmart cares whether RV'rs put out their slides or not, it's entirely a peer issue among our fellow RVrs. It's generally expressed among us RVrs that when parking there we keep the slides and awnings in so that we create a low profile and minimize the impact of being there and don't give the appearance of abusing the priveledge.

But if Walmart doesn't care, why should we be so concerned as long as egress and ingress of their customers and/or their vendors isn't compromised. Has anyone ever been told by a Walmart employee, manager, security, etc., that they don't want slides and awnings?

I've only stayed in a Walmart once and that was in Anchorage, AK about 8 years ago. Almost everyone there had at least one slide out and many had their generators running. I didn't see any awnings out though.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #4801

Question; do truck stops allow over nite staying with a generator?
Old 09-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #4802

Generally, yes.

However, you may find that idling nearby trucks are more irritating to you than you are to them.

Pop
Closed Thread

Tags
camping