Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #5699

I've got an idea. Park at Walmart. Go inside and buy a rotisserie chicken and sides. Walk back to the camping section. Open a plastic plate kit with utensils and enjoy your dinner in a folding chair. Then set up an EZ Up tent and cot with a sleeping bag and have a nice rest. If you need a bathroom they are self contained in the store. When done pay for the items that are unsellable, replace the items that are sellable, thank the manager and go on your way. That way people can no longer complain that you camped in your RV at Walmart, and you still have the joy of camping at Walmart. Everyone's happy.

I'm just looking for a compromise. :-)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #5700

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah and don't forget your ghetto blasters playing rap music as loud as it can go get a keg of beer and cots 4 other homeless people invite the gangs and have them wear their colors, now that is camping and there aint no stinkin Walmart rules against it. You have your rights
Denver, Colorado
Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #5701

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl

'Bout an hour away...
Hour from you or an hour from Elkhart? :P

Currently at the Madison Oyster bar in South Bend enjoying a hood seafood dinner and a cigar before moving on to Elkhart for the night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121031_190141.png
Views:	180
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	28575
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #5702

Solo Rvers Club
Right now I am spending my first night wally campin. Using my smart phone for my internet also the first time. I couldn't make it to my destination before dark so I thought I would give this a try. So far so good.
recycled55
Old 10-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #5703

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We spent our first night in a Walmart lot three nights ago in Manning, SC. Looked up the closest one on allstays.com. Called to see if it was ok first and asked inside just in case. We parked away from everything and ate our chicken from the deli. Uneventful and a nice spot to stay while on the road.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #5704

I couldn't find any Walmartians last night, but there were two nice "C"s in the 95th Ave lot that Allstays say: No Overnighting. Wasn't the first time I've seen some RVs there.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #5705

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I asked and was given permission by the 'duty' manager at a posted "No Overnight Parking" Walmart. He said they are not our signs so if you want to park be as close to the far lot as you can get. We stayed and nobody bothered us, we did the dutiful shop and stuff and left in the morning at our normal depart time.

One Walmart somewhere in new England even had a coffee and doughnut shop that we used for a quick and sweet breakfast. What you guys need down in the states is a good Tim Horton's Doughnut Shop.

Welcome to Tim Hortons My favorite New York town to visit, Silver Creek, has a Timmy's so guess where we go for coffee when we are in that area.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #5706

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Right now I am spending my first night wally campin. Using my smart phone for my internet also the first time. I couldn't make it to my destination before dark so I thought I would give this a try. So far so good.
recycled55
Watch out for the Walmart police
Old 10-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #5707

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm4 View Post
Tailgating at the Walmart in State College Friday night before Saturdays game.
Uh oh ... I see a LOT of slides out
Old 11-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #5708

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Come on folks, let's be nice! I am serious about going on a journey which I am planning to use many walmarts as my overnight stay. And, before some get the wrong idea let me explain. I am gearing up to take my 78 yr old mother and my son and stepson to all lower 48 states. My son's have both had heart values replaced, and when we travel to unfamiliar cities it's much easier for me to tell a 911 dispacther "I'm at walmart parking lot" then try to tell them what campground I am at or what BLM I am at. If you would like to poke fun at me for this go ahead, but let me tell you being in my old RV at a walmart parking lot 2 years ago saved my life when 911 was called, I just happened to stop in Rochester MN because I was to tired and not feeling well and wanted to sleep, turns out I found myself headed to the operating room at 5AM for gallbladder removal and we back at the RV by 5PM and on my way into the Cities. The emergency personal told me I was lucky I was at Walmart and not down the road at the camp ground simply because it was easier for them to find me. Mayo personal who heard my story agreed and when my son had his heart surgery and was discharged to return back home to Colorado, several told me to park at the walmarts along the way in just in case my son had any trouble as it would be faster and safer for emergency personal to located me since I have a cell phone and not all 911 systems are enhanced. On the way home, we stopped in Lincoln NE, we parked the RV and took the SUV to get dinner, lots of road construction going on and it was dark, raining and after an hour of trying to find our way back - I called 911 and their system could plysically see me and direct me back to walmart to get the SUV. Their is nothing wrong with walmart overnights, in fact their security has always been great. I've never had a problem at any walmart anywhere. And, I am serious about using walmarts for our sleep overs as we travel through the Country. If someone wants to meet up at a walmart and join our venture great, their welcome to come along. My son will never have the opportunity to see all the states unless I take him and when I am gone, he will at least have the memory of his jouney through America with mom and grandma.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #5709

The Walmarts here in Henderson, NV probably don't care and would welcome the business, BUT it is not Walmart's decision, it is a city ordinance. I guess they are afraid the same senior citizens, that the TSA so valiantly keeps from hijacking planes, are going to be dealing drugs and prostituting themselves in Walmart parking lots. Seriously though, it is the bad apples,that cause the problems. Staying more than one night, noise, litter, etc. I guess, and yes unfortunately probably drugs, excessive alcohol, and maybe even prostitution. :(
Old 11-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #5710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards
Talking to the $9.50/hr clerk and thinking you are following their rules is selfish and the fact remains that more and more Wal-Marts are being forced to ban parking by the cities where they are located. Parking rather than camping is not hard. Making a fool of one's self is very easy and leads to little politicians banning us in the future. I have seen it happen in my own town and know it happens. Thinking you can do whatever you wish and telling the new folks to do it too makes no sense and is why many Wal-Marts are off limits. Thinking it through is easy, being stubborn and do whatever you wish no matter the consequences is easy too.
So the parking ban has nothing to do with: drugs, taxable income by way of... brain block.... the tax they put on hotels and such, campgrounds claiming they are not getting the revenue (so the local can tax it), police not wanting a uncontrolled population loitering, targets for the local thugs? Glad to hear it is only because they are going after Jack for putting out a welcome mat.
Close but sort of off topic: why do the state police throw me out of rest areas at night, when I am resting?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #5711

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee
1. I frequently camp in dispersed camping area of AZ. There's no charge for this and the state welcomes anyone to camp.
2. I frequently camp at a WalMart. There's no charge for this and the Co. welcomes anyone to camp.

1 is OK and 2 isn't? 'Splain please.

Got my WM popcorn btw-->

One is on the public dime..... (any more may be considered political)
The other supports a private money gr..... (see other thread about WalMart)

:lol:
Old 11-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #5712

The ban on Walmarts has nothing to do with drugs, trash, loitering, etc. That's just an urban myth spread by greedy camp ground owner, greedy politicians and people who think they are too good to set foot in a Walmart.

Closed Thread

Tags
camping