Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #1177

Winnebago Owners Club
Haven't seen this either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I keep hearing about people "camping" at Walmart, slides and awning out, jacks down, grill and chairs out. I have never been to a Walmart and have seen this. Does anyone have pictures, I would like to see them.
We have never seen this at our Walmart either. Photos would be nice. Thanks, Joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #1178

Winnebago Owners Club
We have been fulltiming for over a year now and never had to stay at a Wal Mart. We prefer campgrounds.
But if we did have to stay at a Wal Mart, we would seek permission first and be as courteous as possible to others...that's the RVing lifestyle and it doesn't matter where you are at...it should follow!!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #1179

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Monacoach... first read dixieray 53's comment:

To highlight what I personally find offensive and quell your inquisitions...

Walmart lot, Bend Oregon, half a dozen "older TT's" bunched together, awings not just out but also "staked" to the asphalt with steel spikes, grills set up no tow vehicle in sight, trash everywhere, beer and wine bottles tossed into the lot and closest grassy areas. Dog feces everywhere. Not just overnight, they were there for 5 days before they finally were forced to leave or get towed... you do the math on how the manager at wally's felt.

WalMart lot Crestview, Florida... parked right next to the barbeque grill outdoor display... 2008 or newer Fleetwood Discovery, prob 42', awings all out, all slides out including full wall, all jacks down in very hot asphalt, no blocks or pads used. Noone there on the 4 or 5 times I went to buy supplies for stay at my Son's place over 7 days. The manager had no idea who these folks were but was "reluctant" to cause grief due to community relations and concerns as they had been under renovation for over a year and the public was "aggrivated enough" by that.

And on and on and on... parking overnight to sleep is one thing, taking extreme actions to "setup camp" is something totally against the spirit of the goodwill gesture put forth by WalMart, Target, all Elks Clubs, etc... Slides and jacks are NOT my issue here nor have I ever heard a Wally's mgr state they were to them... the problem is the longtern stays, the trash, the purposeful damage to lot asphalt. These are the folks that I cannot or will not turn a deaf ear or blind eye to.

Again...these businesses are offering a convenience to us of a safe, well lit, patrolled area to park without listening to a tractor trailer motor or reefer motor run next us with all the fumes and clatter of a Rest Area.

If you do not see a problem here, or if anyone condones this... then YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM and you should not post negative comments or demands to see pictures and proof of the offences.

Having been "On The Road" over 42 years I have seen enough to know it must be stopped, should have been long ago. Not by the business, not by the local police, but by Peer Pressure and good folks that care enough to get involved. If you are in late years, feeble of mind and body, noone is asking you to place yourself in danger here, just care enough to take some kind of action, talk to the store manager at the very least and display your approval or disapproval. Customers have a voice and I would like to see those voices be represented in a positive way so we can all enjoy the conveniences and hospitality being shown.

Nuff said... I think I heard a trout splash...
Old 04-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #1180

What these businesses should do is post requirements outlining what would cause them to ask anyone to move who don't comply. If the list is too long to post then it should be included in the post to go to the service desk for a complete list.

This takes away the argument of "well I didn't Know"

You don't know you move on.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #1181
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't see why a business should have the additional expense to publish, post, and enforce rules for allowing RV's to park over night when it would be simpler for them to just say No.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 04-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #1182

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I don't see why a business should have the additional expense to publish, post, and enforce rules for allowing RV's to park over night when it would be simpler for them to just say No.
We would have to agree with that.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #1183

National RV Owners Club
After reading the stories on this thread I thought I would add this one. The other day as we passed the Walmart in Barstow, CA (not a Super Walmart) I saw a 5th wheel parked along side the chain link fence that was put up to stop overnite parking, and posted too. They had the slides out and even chairs out between the 5th and the fence. It's posted plain as day. I wanted to go back and take a pic to include their Lic plates but the DW said no. Next time I go to Walmart I'll sure have my camera along. Based on the plates they were Snow Birds.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #1184

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SgtJoe:

Why take pics, then the "problems here" will want the vehicle registration and physical description of the occupants... lol
Old 04-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #1185

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post

They choose to let you stay, whats the problem with a five dollar sign.

The idea of putting it in writing is to remove the argument. Perhaps we should do away with written warranties.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #1186

Monaco Owners Club
- Camping at Walmart

http://www.6000footdrop.com/.a/6a013...af68970b-800wi

http://theconstantcomplainer.com/wp-...arking-lot.jpg Not sure if this one is camping. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
Old 04-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #1187

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
After reading the stories on this thread I thought I would add this one. The other day as we passed the Walmart in Barstow, CA (not a Super Walmart) I saw a 5th wheel parked along side the chain link fence that was put up to stop overnite parking, and posted too. They had the slides out and even chairs out between the 5th and the fence. It's posted plain as day. I wanted to go back and take a pic to include their Lic plates but the DW said no. Next time I go to Walmart I'll sure have my camera along. Based on the plates they were Snow Birds.
they must have been broke down
after doing my jungle training at camp irwin i would never purposely go to barstow
brianj
Old 04-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #1188

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No jacks or slides on that last one.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #1189

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
They must have been broke down
after doing my jungle training at camp irwin i would never purposely go to barstow
brianj
Well there you go the right anwer They must have been broke down!You know that might have been the case and we jump and ASS-u-ME other wise so maybe the anwers is if we see some one with all this stuff out instead of assuming maybe go over and offer assistance because we think they may be broke down.I bet 1/2 of you haven't thought of that and if it was the case this Wal Mart thread would have died a long time ago!

OH! by the way if you do stop by Wal Mart for a Rest, then just rest and get the Heck out of there so some one else will have a place to Rest!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

By the way I'll be using Wal Mart later this Summer so Move Over!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #1190

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Ok just drove by the South Point WalMart and the RVers are pulling in. One was there when we went into Lowes and now 30 minutes later there are three - didn't see any slides out.

Tags
camping