Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2011, 02:59 AM   #1779
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Phone numbers can be gotten from Yellow Pages: Superpages Yellow Pages, Maps, Driving Directions, Weather... or similar directories.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #1780

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some of you guys take this whole "Wal-Mart parking" to a new extreme. Seems that some of you really take offense to an RV that stops and spends the night there. I'd bet if you (and I mean that in general but if it upsets you then the shoe must fit) had a Wal-Mart police badge you'd be checking to see if every RV'er got permission to spend the night while on patrol.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #1781

Monaco Owners Club
I believe if there are no prohibitive signs it should be ok to park for the night, especially if there are other Rvs already parked. Couldn't hurt to go in and ask if you are unsure and would like peace of mind that you are fully welcome to spend the night.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #1782

Winnebago Owners Club
For those who want to get off the road for a safety rest here is something to think about www.overnightRVParking.com Lists over 8000 free places to park overnight. so for those of us who are not to cheap to pay to join it might be helpful. Happy Trails
Old 06-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #1783

Winnebago Owners Club
I think the original reason for this forum was to curb abuse so WalMart would not suspend the hospitality. I have never stayed overnight in a Walmart but I would if it were to get me a safety sleep. I just hope when the time comes Walmart will still allow the courtesy.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
If there are 40 18 wheelers and 1 motorhome parked overnight in a rest stop; who do you think will be asked to leave?
Happened to me in North Carolina.

If you are ever in North Carolina, beware of a highway patrol officer by the name of T R Jones.
There was an assigned area for long RVs that was full and a sign that said RV Overflow Parking pointing to the truck parking area. What was bad was there was a little old man with a small van conversion taking up a long spot that could be in the car area.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #1785

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobriant View Post
There's a reason for that in North Carolina. North Carolina regulations allow commercial vehicles to park in rest areas for up to 10 hours, while the limit for non-commercial vehicles is four hours.

Different states have different rules. Some states have different rules for Interstate rest areas than for rest areas on other highways. Some have different rules in different Interstate rest areas. If you want to park overnight in a rest area, you need to know whether or not it's allowed in that specific rest area.
A point of interest here; I wrote a letter to the highway police headquarters in North Cacolina and asked about parking overnight with an RV in the state rest stops.
Heres the info I received from the police headquarters: This was signed by the chief himself;
Parking is permited from sundown to sun up.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
Thats a lot of toad, great looking rig.
mikron....THANKS!
Old 06-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #1787

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Phone numbers can be gotten from Yellow Pages: Superpages Yellow Pages, Maps, Driving Directions, Weather... or similar directories.
I would have to stop and park the RV first, then set up the computer to have access to any of those. I would have to know the address of the Walmart to get the phone number. How would I get an address if I just pulled off the road?
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Old 06-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #1788

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post
I would have to stop and park the RV first, then set up the computer to have access to any of those. I would have to know the address of the Walmart to get the phone number. How would I get an address if I just pulled off the road?

Get a next exit book and plan some stores along your route when you stop for whatever. We use it and there is also a Walmart location book you can buy. We don't travel blind, we have a route and stop location planed. We also have alternates if we decide to change for some reason.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #1789

Or just dial 411 on your phone. Speaking with the operator you can usually figure out which wal-mart you are at, and if you should call the wrong one, I am sure they'll direct you to the correct number.

Steve
Old 06-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #1790

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
A point of interest here; I wrote a letter to the highway police headquarters in North Cacolina and asked about parking overnight with an RV in the state rest stops.
Heres the info I received from the police headquarters: This was signed by the chief himself;
Parking is permited from sundown to sun up.
Does that mean you can't park after the sun comes up

Ron
Old 06-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #1791

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
Does that mean you can't park after the sun comes up

Ron
Only if your RV is coffin shaped <--Closest thing I could find to a Vampire...sorry. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
Old 06-19-2011, 02:43 AM   #1792
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post
In the search box simply type in Walmart, the city and state. You will get a list of stores with addresses and phone numbers and location on a map for each store. You said that you did not want to get out of the RV and go inside to ask for permission; you could call and explain your reason for not coming inside and ask for the needed permission from your RV.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
Closed Thread

Tags
camping