Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #1877

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
I think your correct except for retired folks, for some they have nothing better to do.
You got THAT right! I ARE retired and I just finished mounting a 50 caliber Gatling gun on top of my Jeep that I stole from the back of an old 'D' model B-52 when I was in the USAF. I DO consider it my civic DUTY to monitor as many Wal-Mart parking lots across this great nation of ours, to rid the scourge of those pesky multiple night, freeloading RV campers that are clogging the pubic access to the precious Chinese merchandise we all crave.

Be very aware that if you're one of the many who abuse this privilege of the Wal-Mart 'One Night Stay' policy, there most certainly are dedicated retired senior citizens out there with nothing better to do and that have the ability to extend a 5 second burst, 12 hundred round welcome that will end your cheap, blacktop squating ways.

That said, it's my nap time, but when I get up...I'll be watching. Oh, and have a nice day. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #1878

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just took melbourne, fl off of my list of stops!
J
Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #1879

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobriant View Post
Please always obtain permission from a person in authority before parking overnight in any retail parking lot!
Wal*Mart REQUESTS it but it's NOT a requirement. It is however only common sense. They can tell you whether overnight parking is allowed or you will get a 2:00am wake up call and be asked to leave.

We were leaving a venue and it was snowing hard, filled up with propane and went to the local Wal*Mart to call the DOT. While on the phone with them the store announced over the intercom that the state patrol had closed I-5 so we stayed put since I-5 was the only way home.

Another time we stopped to eat at a local shopping center, before we even got out the rent a cop was at our door asking if we planned on staying. I knew there was a local ordnance against it and we were only 10 miles from home. Nope, just going to eat and go home and we did.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #1880

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Just took melbourne, fl off of my list of stops!
J
No sweat GOLDWINGER2, Melbourne is in a 'safe' mode. We are now in Fairbanks, AK...they've had some problems at the 'SuperCenter' up here and we are monitoring the situation at this time. Bob

Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #1881

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Ontario View Post
I guess over the 11 years I have been a member here I have probably read too many posts on this issue.
And yes I did stop overnight at a Walmart in Grand Isle Nebraska, and yes we asked the store manager who was on duty at the time. We slept in our unit with the slides in and jacks up and did not use our generator.
Its one of those things that is a privilege, not a right.
And as long as Wal*Mart extends the courtesy and it's not against a local ordnance we'll do it while enroute. No reason to pay for a campsite when all we need is some supplies and some rest. When we get to our destination THEN we'll pay for a campsite to camp in.
We paid big $$ to have a self contained rig so we don't need electrical, water and sewer to stay overnight.
Now, if you don't like people staying at Wal*Mart then please drive right on by. It's a corporate decision on Wal*Marts part, they know RV'ers spend a lot of money. As such it's nobody's business but Wal*Marts and the RV'er who stops for some rest (unless there's a local law against it).
BTW: we've even been invited in for free coffee in the morning before leaving
Old 06-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #1882

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My only comment is to people who stay at Walmarts for more than one night without moving on. We agree that when you get to the destination its time to go to a campground.
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #1883

Nobody cares if an Rv stays more then one night at a Walmart..... if Walmart has no issue with it then why would anyone else?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:14 PM   #1884

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am quite sure that Walmart does not want to compete with local campgrounds for people who are looking for a campsite. Its great that they offer overnight stop overs, but doubt headquarters would offer any more than that.
How many people would go to the manager and say they are planning on staying a week at Walmart when they ask for permission to stay, what the managers would say? I bet the answer might be different?
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
Old 06-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #1885

Send a message via MSN to Pghwizard Send a message via Yahoo to Pghwizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Nobody cares if an Rv stays more then one night at a Walmart..... if Walmart has no issue with it then why would anyone else?

I sure agree with that...
Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #1886

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
No sweat GOLDWINGER2, Melbourne is in a 'safe' mode. We are now in Fairbanks, AK...they've had some problems at the 'SuperCenter' up here and we are monitoring the situation at this time. Bob
Looks like Melbourne is a beach town. Can RV's really park at your WM's? Seems like you would have those height barriers up.
J
Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #1887

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Looks like Melbourne is a beach town. Can RV's really park at your WM's? Seems like you would have those height barriers up.
J
Nope, no height barriers...we have a 'SuperCenter' on Sarno Rd./ Wickham Rd in Melbourne, one in Palm Bay on Balm Bay Rd./Hollywood and one in Vero...all welcome over-nighters AFAIK. The most convenient (on/off) stop over would be the Sam's Club just east of the Melbourne 192 exit on I-95. I've seen RVs and truckers overnighting there so it must not be a problem...I've never asked. Melbourne is not much of a party beach town, but our beaches are very nice...lots of sand though. Bob

Old 06-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #1888

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And as long as Wal*Mart extends the courtesy and it's not against a local ordnance we'll do it while enroute. No reason to pay for a campsite when all we need is some supplies and some rest. When we get to our destination THEN we'll pay for a campsite to camp in.
We paid big $$ to have a self contained rig so we don't need electrical, water and sewer to stay overnight.
Now, if you don't like people staying at Wal*Mart then please drive right on by. It's a corporate decision on Wal*Marts part, they know RV'ers spend a lot of money. As such it's nobody's business but Wal*Marts and the RV'er who stops for some rest (unless there's a local law against it).
BTW: we've even been invited in for free coffee in the morning before leaving
Oh great!! now their giving away free coffee ...how is Dunkin Doughnut going to compete with that? First they let you stay the night for "free" then they give you free coffee ,what's next ? are they going to cut fuel prices by .10 cent a gallon?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #1889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post
Oh great!! now their giving away free coffee ...how is Dunkin Doughnut going to compete with that? First they let you stay the night for "free" then they give you free coffee ,what's next ? are they going to cut fuel prices by .10 cent a gallon?
Yep: I read (on another site) that they were at Sams club.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #1890
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Wal*Mart REQUESTS it but it's NOT a requirement. .
A pretty fine distinction. When does a "request" from one's host become a "requirement"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
True enough but the sentiment then needs to change from "we only use Wal Marts as a place to safely get a few hours of sleep... to, we use Wal Mart in place of CGs".

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Closed Thread

Tags
camping