Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #2535

Just to throw in something to think of...restrictions are not always about trying to make money. San Diego for example...there used to be free parking overnight in the parks around Mission Bay. But it had to be restricted because many people were camping there for months at a time. Rarely were these folks in nice MH's or TT's...they were junkers with occupants that matched. But they abused the area so much by leaving trash dumping tanks here and there that residents got on the city to do something.. Now there is no overnight parking. Sadly that is a driving force for many cities to restrict overnight parking.
The same is true with residential RV parking. Many residents who don't have an RV/boat etc get tired of one inconsiderate guy who parks on the street for months at a time, taking several spaces and making things look like crap. If you think a city makes lots of money of those tickets...think again. (The money makers are parking meters and the cites written on those.)

To keep to the thread...that is also where many of the legal restrictions come on Wallmart parking. Local residents will complain about campers in the parking lot around the corner...so either wm restricts it or an ord is passed by the city restricting camping.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #2536

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larcougar View Post
what campground could do that wal mart does not charge
The government could give them subsidies like lots of other industries
Old 09-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #2537

Yet for some reason, WM tolerates the pigs that leave dirty diapers in the parking lot.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #2538

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
I think with crime as high as it is, that this overnight parking by rvers will cause wal-mart to not want rvers to stop even to shop. Find a rv park and pay a dry docking fee or stay in a place truckers stay overnight. Just my thoughts.
I think it's the other way, RV'ers prevent crime just by their presence.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #2539

This is true. Just how effective is an un-armed security guard on an under-powered excuse for a golf cart that has more than likely a set pattern when patrolling the lot.

I got my car broken into years ago at a hospital because the two guards that were supposed to be patrolling separate routes, paired together, and followed the same route hour after hour.... ...when the cat's away...

Old 09-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #2540

Vintage RV Owners Club
That's why I never sleep at hospitals.

Plus, more people die at hospitals than at Walmart!

Francesca
Old 09-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #2541

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
This is true. Just how effective is an un-armed security guard on an under-powered excuse for a golf cart that has more than likely a set pattern when patrolling the lot.

I got my car broken into years ago at a hospital because the two guards that were supposed to be patrolling separate routes, paired together, and followed the same route hour after hour.... ...when the cat's away...
The guards are there to observe and report only.
J
Old 09-19-2011, 01:54 AM   #2542

I was just the driver for a friend who needed the services of the hospital for about an hour.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #2543

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
The guards are there to observe and report only.
J
The point made was some one observed the Security was to gather giving a better oppertunity for the break in and if they had patrolled seperated it would have been less time for the break in.

This could happen at Wally World!,but with more RV's resting it would be less likey!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 AM   #2544

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Well, just to put it in perspective, the person who said Wal-Mart stores bring in $30,000 per hour, 7/24/365, would have us believe the average store brings in $720,000 per day. Or maybe you meant $90,000 profit per day?
I would gladly trade my monthly SS check for the daily cash that any walmart in the country brings in.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #2545

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm Hungry

Hey Dunner,
You forgot desert. Skip the potatoes and throw in a cherry pie, or at least a twinkie or two. Git wit da program. Wal Mart needs your money to get to that 30k per hour.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #2546

Another point I was trying to make was that if the guards varied their route, the thugs would not know for sure when they would be expected to be at a certain point again.

If I do cherry, it's gonna be resting on a thick bed of cheese cake. I almost ended up in the ER when I read Sara Lee was going bankrupt. My search engine of choice just revealed it is only a split of divisions.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #2547

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I've stayed at my share of Wal-Marts and have never seen a security guard. Not in a cart, car, truck nor standing outside the door. None, ever. I believe they are out there, but I wonder if it is a regional thing.
We travel mostly in the northwestern states.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #2548

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post
I've stayed at my share of Wal-Marts and have never seen a security guard. Not in a cart, car, truck nor standing outside the door. None, ever. I believe they are out there, but I wonder if it is a regional thing.
We travel mostly in the northwestern states.
You must look more respectable than me, Phil!
My "RiffRaffRig" must attract attention...
I think we overnight at some of the same Walmarts (Omak, Wenatchee, Moses Lake-ever been to Pullman?).
Seems like I ALWAYS see a guard!
Truth is, I usually seek them out- one way of getting the O.K. without going into the store...

Francesca
Closed Thread

Tags
camping