Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #1

Want short Class A, what year? Any recommendations?

Hi, my husband and I are interested in getting a short <30 ft Class A. It appears that these were available in the mid 1990s. We looked at a 1994 24 ft Fleetwood Flair yesterday and loved the layout and size (but not the musty smell and water damage). Today we are going to see a 29 ft 1994 Montery Cobra. We missed seeing a 27 ft 1994 Winnebago Itasc as it sold before we got there. The thing is I don't really want one this old but am having trouble locating newer short Class As.

Is there anyone out there that knows the latest year one could get a Class A with a length in the mid-20s? I have a strong preference for a unit that does not have a slide so we may not be able to buy newer.

My other question concerns safety. I found the RV Consumer Group site for RV safety ratings and am tempted to buy their membership. However is there an on-line site with similar safety rating information that I could access? Free is preferable but I could pay the membership if needed. I prefer the real-time up to date info that a web site provides vs printed material.

And last but not least, any feedback on the 1994 or thereabouts Montery Cobra?

Thanks!
Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a 29' Fleetwood Fiesta 2009. I believe Tiffin also has a short Class A, but I think you will have troulbe finding a newer one without slides.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #3

Safari Trek 29' with no slides available through 2008.
morninghill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #4

How about a 28 foot diesel pusher?
Check this out http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/allegroBreeze/
Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #5

Not entirely questioning your choice, but just asking if you have a specific reason for a length in the 20's? I have a 30' Rockwood with a 178" wheelbase and I pretty much drive it anywhere I'd take a full size pickup truck with extended cab. We don't tow a car or anything -- we just take the coach wherever we are going.

The reason I do ask is that I think your selection if you go up to 30' will be significantly larger, especially if you can manage to 31' actual length.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Michelle,
Welcome to iRV2. Newmar has been making the Bay Star for several years. There are 3 floor plans under 30 ft. Go to Newmar Corporation &ndash; Bay Star Motorhome | Newmar RV and take a look at the 2010 specs. This will provide a sample of what the Bay Star is.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #7

Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone! These are great suggestions and good insight that there are some models out there. We've been to 4 dealers around here and they all denied these short ones exist. We also may start looking at the 30 fters as we saw one today and it wasn't too bad to drive.

Thanks again! I'm setting this on instant e-mail notification so I can get replies in real time. Tomorrow were looking at a 1992 Winnebago with a redone interior.

Best regards,
Michelle
Old 05-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Winnebago Vista & Via & Itasca Sunstar & Reyo all have floorplans under 30ft. Also see Fleetwood Encounter.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:52 AM   #9

Hi Michelle,

We have some good friends that just purchased a Newmar Bay Star 2902 (that's 29' long), replacing a 10 year old Winnebago Brave 32'. They went shorter, but have more interior space because of the 2 slides and much more interior storage. They are very happy with their purchase.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #10

Thanks again!

Thanks Lori, Donna and all the previous posters.

Clearly the floor plans exist for what I'm looking for. I really liked both the NewStar and the Winnebago short models. I think the sweet spot for me would be something 3-4 years old so it had suffered some depreciation but was still in good shape. 27 ft would be a nice length.

Any feedback on unit safety? Two of the dealers I talked to thought the Winnebago's were the safest due to the steel cage construction. But they didn't seem to know about the other brands.

Thanks again!
Michelle
Old 05-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #11

Michelle,

What sort of floor plan are you looking for?. The Safari Treks have a queen sized bed that retracts into the ceiling; giving the floor space of something 10 ft longer. These are not for everyone, but have a fiercely loyal following. you can view floor plans from 1991 to 2008 on the Trek Tracks website: http://www.nwtfc.com/forum/portal_content.asp
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #12

Were pretty open on floor plan

Hi George,

Were pretty open on floor plan, just want to get a safe unit. I did watch the Safari Trek bed lowering and raising video on YouTube. However I don't think that is for us since we tend to have me get up early and my husband sleep in.

We've looked at three units so far. 1994 Fleetwood Flair that was pretty close to salvage. 1994 Monterey Cobra that was unfortunately very dirty and very rattly. A 1992 Winnebago Itasca that was gorgeous. But no service records. Most everything worked and was in great shape. It was very updated. I think were going to try and see two 1997 Winnebagos if they are still avail. I have to call tomorrow. I was very impressed with the quality difference on the Winnebago. Depending on what we see in the 1997s we'll decide whether to make an offer on the 1992.

Thanks!
Michelle
Old 05-19-2010, 04:15 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
WARNING ..... WARNING .... WARNING
My second coach was a 30 foot Cobra on a Chev ''p'' chassis. the greatest problem with the unit was WE COULD NOT KEEP THE WINDSHIELDS IN THE COACH. The rubber around the windshields was replaced twice and the windshields were reset three times and they would still fell out ..... We loved the coach and hated the Windshields. that is why we got rid of it ......
If you are interested in a Cobra be very careful ... Look at the windshields closely as to their fit in the rubber gasket. Your best bet is to look elsewhere
This advise will cost you ten cents and you must pay me the next time you see me
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe
God bless our vets ... ALL GAVE SOME ... SOME GAVE ALL
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #14

Thanks Seajay

Thanks Seajay,

This information is much appreciated!

Cheers!
Michelle