Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #1

Wanted to share my dual battery project

I did this over a month ago but i have not shared the results yet so i thought i would. Now to start i took this to the dealer and they told me that two batteries would not fit and that i would have to use smaller batteries in order to make it work. I swear those guys have no "out of the box" ingenuity.

Well two full size batteries do fit, they actually fit perfectly.

First i removed the one battery.

Then bolted down a piece of plyboard and screwed it through the metal support strips below.

Then i set the two batteries on the plyboard and used a pencil to mark their locations.

Then i took scraps of wood i had and glued and screwed them down on the pencil lines i had drawn. The two batteries fit perfect in the basic block box i made.

Then i took the two batteries out and used some spare straps i had and screwed them in place under where the battery would sit on them.

Then put the batteries back in place and strapped them in.

But not quite perfect, since i did not use flat heads for the staps, and did not inset the screws the batteries wobbled just a bit, so i used some used popcicle sticks as levelers and glued them in the corner to balance the batteries.

Then cut each end of the two covers off so they would fit together and used pull ties to pull them tight.

Then just added a bungie over the top of the covers.

Those batteries are not going anywhere unless i roll the trailer. Knock on wood...

Two things i would have done if i had to do it over. First was to inset the strap screws or use flat heads. Second was to prepaint the board.

Im not sure if water gets up there or not while going down a wet road but just in case i plan to paint the bottom of the board.

But i am worried that since i will be going to humid country for a month or so that the dry board could soak up some moisture and rot on me before i can get back to dry air country. I dont know how quickly that would happen, but i dont want the humidity to weaken that board.

Turned out just fine in my book for the first try....

Now my meter shows im getting 13.5 volts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0004 (5) (Small).JPG
Views:	175
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	166490   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0003 (13) (Small).JPG
Views:	166
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	166491  

Name:	SANY0002 (17) (Small).JPG
Views:	178
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	166492  
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Get a can (maybe two) of the automotive rubber undercoating and spray the wood.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #3

I forgot i have some of that left over from when i undercoated my truck, good thinking ill have to check my bin and find it... thanks...
Old 06-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice neat job. The nerve of these people thinking we should be happy with only one battery. No imagination!
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:09 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good job! I've done many improvements to RVs over the years. 80 on my current coach. Most make full timing in it more enjoyable/easier.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:28 AM   #6

Get some cheap paint as it is good for this...

Pull out the batteries and slather the wood well.

The wood is a sponge and will absorb any liquids.

The paint is resistant to the acid a bit and seals the wood.

Unpainted it will not last near as long as painted.

Whatever paint that you may have handy will work.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:01 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 6 house batteries had long bolts and metal brackets holding them down. 4 times in 2 years. I cleaned and recoated with grease to try and stop corrusion. Openings in venting caps allowed the sulfuric acid to escape rerusting in a short time.
Got ride of bolts and brackets.
Using plastic tie downs from Harbor Freight. Batteries are cleaner, no rust, cheap to replace straps, if ever.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The nerve of those guys telling you it couldn't be done! They just don't know RV'ers very well, do they!

Good job Dave!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:36 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
Dual house battery project

We have an older 1993 Pace Arrow 35' motor home, with which we like to dry camp, but it lacked some of the more modern amenities. The coach had a large basement compartment just forward of the entry door into which just fit two Interstate 8D (big truck) batteries in their plastic battery boxes, which we installed. Just inboard of these batteries, on centerline, we installed a 3000W Xantrex inverter wired into the coach's 120 VAC system with a remote ON/OFF switch in the electrical panel up over the door. The installation required a 110 VAC automatic prioritizing switch: 1 = Shore Power / 2 = generator / 3 = inverter. We then installed a modern, computer controlled converter for optimum battery charging through shore power or the generator. Finally, we ran a hefty 12 VDC cable up to a herky 12 VDC receptacle (no cigarette lighter) at the computer table, to which is connected a 500 W inverter and installed a 12 VDC digital voltmeter with a two position momentary switch in the electrical panel over the door, connected to both the house and the start battery banks. We now arrive at our dry campsite with enough stored power for several days camping without having to run the generator. We have future plans for solar on the roof. Sorry, no pictures immediately available! George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #10

Doesn't matter what you us that wood will rot, and soon period. otherwise manufactures would use.
Oldone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have wet cell batteries you can add mineral oil to the cells and cut WAY down on the corrosion and need to add distilled water. Did that in 2004 to the 4 OEM Interstate U-2200's and they worked fine for 10 years and were clean after 4 years of never being cleaned. After 13 years it still had the original battery hold down straps too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Battery1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	167935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	167936  

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #12

The wet cell batteries in my boat are sitting on bare plywood. It's glassed in on the edge but no coating on the flat surface.

The boat was but in 1984 and the wood is getting a little worn but still holds the 8 batteries.

I think the wood should hold up for a few years at least.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #13

Thanks, yeah i could be wrong but from watching some wood shop programs i think its most important to cover the end grain at least, so it does not soak up so much moisture.

Tags
battery