Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2022, 08:50 AM   #43

Many thoughts and opinions here. As others have written, you must decide your priorities and outfit accordingly.

But think it through. If you go Class A, where will you store it, who will repair its complex systems, can you manage a tow with a 40 foot TV?

Class C is actually 2 classes, the glasses and the diesels. The glasses are load and size limited and because they are generally smaller and lighter, can be dealer serviced. The diesels are like Class As and require truck service but also run to a size that in some cases will not fit your driveway.

Don't count on support from your selling dealer. They can barely staff to open their doors. Factory support is better from some and hopeless from others so get on the user web sites and see how much trash is being aired.

There are other considerations such as gas/ diesel access relative to size and places you will visit; can you carry a spare tire; how much CCC will you have after loading full gas and water; how large are the tanks; do you need a dedicated tow vehicle?

Too many open questions to answer you.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #44

I am a 69 year old woman who travels solo but usually within a group. I towed for 7 years but last spring I bought a 29 ft Class C. I wish I had switched sooner. No longer do I hold the rest of the group up. Life is much easier now. Class C all the way.
dkiley22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:57 AM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
you cannot backup a class A or C with a toad connected

There is one more consideration I didn't see here. If you have a back-in camp site you cannot backup a class A or a class C unless you first disconnect your toad. If you have a pull through site and have room to drive right in then you can leave your toad connected. If you are pulling a travel trailer or a 5th wheel you can backup without disconnecting.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:18 AM   #46

I now have much experience with both trailers and self-propelled RVs. More so with trailers but last five years with Class C and currently Class A. I tow a Cherokee toad behind self-propelled.

I avoided the self-propelled for 50 years mostly because I didn’t want to maintain another engine/drive train.

Each has advantages and disadvantages. Think about what you are most likely to do and the pros and cons of your choices.

Here are some considerations:

1. Overall towing a toad behind an RV can be annoying. You cannot easily back up with a toad attached and with a gas RV gas stations can be problematic. I used diesel pickups as tow vehicles for 15 years and that wasn’t a problem because fuel stops cater to diesels.

2. Hooking up toad or trailer is about the same.

3. Driving the class A with huge windshield is enjoyable. Mine drove fine for me out of the box but a lot of people complain about handling and noise with gas powered units.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:37 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyg222 View Post
I know there are pros and cons, just wanting everyone's opinions. I do have a truck to pull a travel trailer. I am getting older and thought a class c might be easier and less trouble with all the unhooking and such.

At the end of the day , it's not our opinions that count .

I suggest you take the time and rent a TT , then a Class C and lastly a Class A .

RV's are like boats , there is no perfect solution . Everything is a compromise .

You need to determine what works for you , not what works for somebody else.

Turn your search into an adventure , in order to enjoy the experience .

Good luck and happy shopping.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #48

One thing I don't like about Class A is the use of plywood in the front console area. Maybe some are now using a bit more metal, but many seem to be built using plywood under the thin plastic dashboard. At least my truck is steel and my TT is all fiberglass with wood interior. At least Class C's have a regular truck cab compartment. The Older class A's seemed like they were built of plywood in the front cab area. Almost bought a Gran Villa: It even used wood wedges to increase the coach height on the chassis. These were supposed to be high quality at the time....
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:23 PM   #49

Good article

This is a pro con article on types of Rv

https://drivinvibin.com/2020/06/18/rv-class-types/
Tuscany3680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 02:11 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
I guess I'll continue to beat this horse. In my bias opinion they all have there advantages and disadvantages. There pluses and minuses. How much money will you dedicate to it. That includes purchase, depreciation, maintenance, Insurance, storage, etc.. Most things pretty well covered already. Decisions only you can make based on your situation. We currently have a DPMH that we wouldn't trade for any of the other options available. We don't use it enough to justify the cost of the diesel but would never give up the ride and handling. We started out back packing and tent camping, then a regular van, then a popup, etc., etc. etc.. Enjoyed the heck out of each step along the way with many many great and a few not so great memories.

One advantage to a motorhome over a trailer I haven't see yet. In a motorhome of any type you are fully self contained. Nasty weather hot, cold, rain, wind whatever. Stop for a break / lunch. You have AC and all the other comforts of home. Don't have to so much as open the door if you don't want to. If you stop for the night at other then a campground. If you start to feel uncomfortable about the place / "things" going on around or near you. Hop in the drivers seat and drive away to a better location. Never have to open the door to whatever might be happening.

To each his or her own. We have tried, used and enjoyed most "camping" methods. At this step in our lives a DPMH fits OUR needs perfectly.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:30 PM   #51

Guys, the OP has not posted on this website since his first post.
He still only has 1 post total.

He is not listening.

Soooo......
Old 01-11-2022, 08:10 AM   #52

I am not the Op but have enjoyed this discourse immensely.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:36 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I am not the Op but have enjoyed this discourse immensely.
Same here. The OP may never come back but even if not, I'm still enjoying all the various opinions being voiced here. For now, a motorhome is best suited for us but there have been pros and cons of each brought up that I hadn't thought of. Will have to keep these in mind if and when we ever go to thinking about getting another RV.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:27 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Class C but considering a small A

Have been in my Winny Access 29T Class C since 2007 and here is my pros and cons list.
Pro's
1. 30 ft so can still get into pretty much all State Park camping spots. Not too hard to maneuver around most Gas stations and parking lots but you DO take up a min of two spaces in the later. I am one of the lucky ones who can keep their rig on their own property. With the Class C its an easy back in, drive out. There is an S curve down into the parking spot so with a TT or 5W it would be a challenge at best.
2. The ability for the Boss to take potty breaks, nap in the bed, collect snacks from fridge, tend to the aging dog's needs all without the need to pull over (unless dog needs potty break). I work from the road and can pull over, take 2 steps, open my laptop and join a conference call with less than 2 min notice.
3. Maintenance. Easy Campezy. I have been working on cars all my life so this Chevy Express 3500 with 6.0 V8 is not a challenge so far. I do my own oil changes (Amsoil/yearly) and transmission flush (Valvoline MaxLife/20K) along with other repairs as they come along. Engine access is a little cramped but I manage. Parts are also relatively cheap compared to my other vehicles (Honda Pilot, Mazda 3)
4. Setup and tear down is again easy. I don't have hydraulic levelers but I still consider my bright orange leveling lego blocks a fun game as I guess needed heights and then celebrate with the Boss when her Apple Spirit level app shows I got it right. Curse and laugh when I screw it up ultimately delaying arrival at beer thirty.
5. Bunk over the drivers cab is great for storage of stuff now my lads are all grown but quickly becomes a sleeping berth again if one of our boys happens to come along for a short trip.
6. Where I am located (Nth Texas) registration and insurance is very reasonable.

Cons
1. I have a lot of external storage in a rear compartment but would much prefer that space spread over multiple compartments as in a Class A. It just seems like I always need something in the back that is at the bottom so a lot has to come out first no matter how you pack it in.
2. Shower and bed are smaller. Boss and I are both over 6 ft so shower is cramped. I rebuilt the shower making it little larger but still cramped. We added a regular Queen mattress which is much more comfortable but a lot longer so getting by the end of the bed is a tight squeeze. Space over all is just a little tight. Funny as 10 years ago it used to be 4 of us and the Dog and it did not seem that bad. I think as we get older our personal space is increasing (along with our bellies).
3. Once setup, getting around town or exploring means bicycles or pack it up and take the rig. I have been toying with the idea of a toad for a few years now. More recently looking at ebikes after test riding some while passing through Phoenix last year.
4. Once parked the drivers cab is wasted space. I love how class A's and some newer class C's have rotating driver and passenger seats allowing that to be a functional seating area.
5. TV position is NOT good in many Class C's. Now there is just the two of us I am replacing the pull out couch with theatre seats, removing the opposing dinette in the slide out and building a cabinet from which the TV will rise up from with a connected folding table for dinning. When I watch TV I like to look straight ahead, not have my head turned to one side and looking up.

The above is why we started looking for a small class A about 3.5 years ago. But world events (and resulting price hikes) kind of placed a brake on that. I continually look but I think I'll just continue my projects slowly improving the rig for us and the next owner.
Someone mentioned you either need a lot of cash or be a great handyman. The RV is my justification for buying new tools so I can complete projects and fix issues myself. Hence why I have a LOT of tools.
I tell people thinking about RVing to understand that on EVERY trip something will either break or need replacing. But if you enjoy working with your hands it can be a lot of fun!!
AussieTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:31 PM   #55

Picture 1000 words

Simple answer, just do it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B3054729-20F1-43D9-B4DA-06737B1993C0.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	353605  
Tuscany3680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:47 AM   #56

SUV tow vehicle instead of pickup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaul View Post
I'll throw in one other consideration - maintenance. Having had a class A (and toad) getting simple things like an oil change or other maintenance meant I had to go to a Ford truck garage. 20 miles away. Same if you have a diesel drive. Not just any garage can handle that. And if you have a mechanical breakdown and far from a big city, same problem. With my GM if I need service, even in the most remote areas I can find someone that will work on my GM. Just a thought.

Also, besides TV and trailer being much less expensive initially, if I want to upgrade either unit at any time it's also much less of an investment.

But as others have said, most of it depends on the style of travel you are most comfortable with.
tpaul, is your tow vehicle for the ORV TT a Yukon SUV? Got my attention, as I see the trailer gvwr is over 8000 lbs. We are thinking of making a change from small Class C to TT, but prefer SUV to truck. Wary of claimed SUV max tow weight ratings vs. real-world limits and risks of losing control. What's your weight breakdown (cargo, tongue, trailer), how does the Yukon handle this TT, and did you have to do any special mods? Thank you!
icw2gotra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c