Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2020, 12:24 AM   #1

Warranties

My third question in the last 24 hours on here . I appreciate everybody's help. This question is about warranties. I have read every thing about getting one vs not getting one and just saving money in an emergency fund in case something comes up. I haven't made my decision yet but the dealership has already told me they offer a Coachnet Platinum service plan. I don't really need advice on whether to get one or not because that question has been addressed quite a bit on here, I just basically want to know how low you guys think I can talk them down and what's a reasonable price. I am getting a used 2019 Fleetwood Bounder. Has anybody else gotten the Coachnet Platinum service (that's what he kept calling it, the plan that supposedly covers everything). I have done my research and I know to ask for an exclusionary policy and all that. For instance, is a 5 year plan for 3,000 dollars reasonable or have you guys been able to get it lower? That would be 50 dollars a month which seems kind of high. Is there a standard monthly rate I should try to get to (like 20 dollars a month etc.) And will I usually get a lower deal if I get it outside of the dealership? I would love to go into their office and say I already have one I just bought lol. Thanks in advance
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2020, 06:56 AM   #2

You can go as low as they will accept.
Service Contracts are a high markup item.

Put some paragraphs in your posts...it's barely readable as is.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:11 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Call Or email Coach-Net and get a quote directly from them. Dealers up charge can be 100% of cost or higher. You shouldn’t purchase anything from a dealer at closing.

Also, I don’t believe any service contract (it’s not a warranty) covers “everything.”

Ps. I agree with the “use paragraphs” comment.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You need to get some price quotes for similar repair insurance coverage, including other quotes on the Coachnet policy. Dealers often charge a high sales commission on the policies they sell, so you may be able to negotiate a lower price than their initial offer. Or not. Be aware that the policy sold thru a dealer may have subtle differences in coverage and may be priced differently than one bought direct or thru another agent. Compare carefully.

Also contact Wholesale Warranties for coverage options and costs, so that you have something to compare.

There is no such thing as an extended warranty that covers everything. Not even close. An exclusionary policy has less loopholes than an inclusive type, but it's still far short of "everything". For example, no body work, no furnishings, no wear & tear loss, etc.

The starting price for 5 years of coverage on a new Class A is around $2495, depending on the coach year & model and the coverage. Prices of several thousand $ are not uncommon for broad coverage on an older model.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:17 AM   #5

$3,000 would repair a lot of stuff in 5 years.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #6

Cool Skip the warranty...

You definitely want Emergency Road Service, I have and heartily recommend Coach Net and yes I have used them just once {last October}over the last 12 years. This coverage has nothing to with an extended coach warranty for repairs to parts and systems in the coach.

Extended repair warrantees are rarely worth the paper they are printed on and a dealer may make as much if not more selling you the warranty vs the coach itself.
Add in the almost mandatory hassle of dealing with a dealership to get them to honor your warranty and the inherent time delays to effect the repair {tales of months at the dealership awaiting parts and or repairs are legion.}.

As previously noted your best bet is to set aside the money you're contemplating spending for a warranty and actually add to it on a regular basis while it makes a little interest. Then if something comes up you have the cash and can effectively shop for the best, most timely repair at the location of your choice {a huge plus when traveling extensively}.

If you buy lightly used, low mileage with a documented service history the chances of anything coming back to haunt you go way down. Anything major will have been addressed along with the usual minor items that every coach comes with.

When we bought our 2012 Nexus it had 6,208 miles/18 months old and after 6.5 years and nearly 60,000 miles I have only had a couple of minor repairs, a new control board for the furnace last year came in at just under $300 {parts and labor} and has been the biggest hit I have taken. Normal maintenance items like replacing an aging awning or the original toilet after 6 years were just pocket change.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote