Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Warranty Service on new Motor Home

Not sure if this is the right forum - admins please feel free to move appropiately.

I was talking to an RV'er who was shopping for a new Class A RV. He related to me that the dealer told him that to get warranty service, it would be necessary to bring the rig back to the dealership where it was purchased. He aslo said he was told that most of the dealers today will not do warranty work in any kind of timely manner unless you bought the rig at that dealership.

I questioned that but later heard the same things from another potential buyer (different brand of RV).

How many of you have heard the same thing, and is this forced return only limited to one or two brands of RV? If this is true, I would hate to be driving my rig beyond "return to dealer distance" as long as it was in warranty. And what about work after the warranty period is expired?

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I bought my rig in OK. I needed warranty work done, but the dealership was very busy, and back logged. I called a dealership in Texas, they said they would be happy to do the work. as it turned out my schedule will work at a later date with the dealership where I bought it.
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:28 PM   #3

That hasn't been our experience with our last two RVs - Travel Supreme and Newmar. As full-timers we bought but never returned to the selling dealer. We only had a few very minor issues for warranty at first and we just called ahead to another dealer and they were ready for us when we arrived. No issues. We spent one night in our 'home' on their lot and they finished up the next day.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:01 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
There are some "stinker" dealers who do put you at the end of the line for service if you don't buy from them. Those are the dealers to avoid of course if possible. There are many others who don't handle business that way. Personally if I ran into one bad dealer who said that I would move on to another. If it was a serious problem and I couldn't then I would call the mfr for help. Most mfrs will approve repairs by other shops such as Cummins, Freightliner, Spartan and local RV repair shops. You do not have to have warranty work done by a dealer!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:53 AM   #5

Mark, I think you have a valid concern. Just look over this and other forums and you will find this discussed many times.

From what I've read warranty work can be an issue depending on the dealer. Some dealers will discount the price of an RV if they think you won't be back for warranty issues. The editorial "RV Death Spiral" has a piece on this subject. Just Google it.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:02 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This is one of the dirty little secrets of the RV industry.

As mentioned above, we have previous discussions on this.

I've experienced both prompt service and "did you buy it here", " no", "we're booked for several months" for warranty and non-warranty work.

That's just the way it is. Doesn't make it right though.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service