Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #1

Was Almost There

For months and months we studied and researched RVs, talked about RV's with many people, and visited every RV dealer within 100 miles of town. We narrowed our choices down to two (2) brands (pre-owned Class A) and a range for length. We talked to the insurance company to make sure we could nail that piece down. I found two (2) places to park the beast that are close to our home. Then I called the Department of Public Safety about a Class B drivers license.

Stop the Show!

We will need to take a written test, which is followed by a driving test in a RV that has a GVWR of 26,001 lbs or more. We don't know anyone with a Class B drivers license and we don't know of anyone with a RV of 26,001 lbs. None of the RV training schools are able to help in this situation. It ain't too smart to drive an expensive Class A without a proper driver's license ... an accident waiting to happen.

Which makes buying the RV we'd like more than a conundrum. Back to the drawing.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hello from Granbury.

Our first Class A was less than 26,000 so it did not require a Class B. Our second one was over 26,001. Are you sure the Class A you are wanting to purchase is over 26,000?

I study the guide from the DMV and took the written test then scheduled a driving test. Drove the RV to the DL office and we went for a driving test. 10 blocks from the start she had me make a right turn on a corner that is very tight with anything other than a car. Right rear tire road up on the curb so we drove back to the office, rescheduled a driving test and said goodbye for 2 weeks. 2 weeks later when back and took the same route BUT since I knew we would take that route I had tested myself several times... and passed the second time.

Before I took my first driving test I told the examiner that I didn't have anyone to drive the RV to the testing location. She told me just not to have an accident on the way Granbury is a low profile area, but you are in Euless and that is a very high profile area!!

FYI, this has been discussed many times on the forums and you will get lots of opinions... mine is get the RV you want and take the test!

I will even go one step futher.. if we are in town I will come take you to the driving test in your RV. If you have your "training permit" you can do the driving!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Hello from Granbury. If you have your "training permit" you can do the driving!
I wasn't aware of a "training permit." I need to find out more about that. So for now it looks like I need to take a trip down to the local DPS office. Nevertheless, thank you for your very generous offer for assistance. Buying an RV is much more difficult than getting married or buying a house! LOL

Take care.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Once you have passed your written test you can get a DL that requires a licensed person in the passenger seat... same as the old training permit way back in high school.......

We bought a travel trailer in April 2008 just to see if we really wanted to "RV". It only took one 3000 mile trip to figure out the answer was YES! In April of 2009 we purchased a repoed Hurricane 34ft Class A with only 1403 miles and drove to Alaska and back during the summer of 2009. In April 2010 we purchased our current coach, which also was a repo, and never looked back! It helps to have a cousin that is a new car dealer... he lets me go to the dealer auctions and purchase our RVs and other vehicles

The offer stands! I will PM you my contact info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxless View Post
I wasn't aware of a "training permit." I need to find out more about that. So for now it looks like I need to take a trip down to the local DPS office. Nevertheless, thank you for your very generous offer for assistance. Buying an RV is much more difficult than getting married or buying a house! LOL

Take care.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Helpful information is what this site is about. Well done "texnet", a very kind offer as well. Good luck Traxless, hope it all works well for you. Keep us informed on your hunt.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote